Vibrations at idle (And low speed) W211 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E280 4Matic
Vibrations at idle (And low speed) W211 4Matic

Needing help for this tricky one...

Just bought a 2005-model E280 CDI 4Matic with a vibration coming from underneath the car. The vibrations usually occurs at idle in reverse and drive, and decreases when the RPM is rising (sometimes worse in drive, and sometimes in reverse). Both of the engine mounts and the transmission mounts has been replaced (OEM parts), with no change. The left CV axle (inner boot) was torn, and replaced with another OEM CV axle with no improvement here too. Sometimes when the car is parked without parking brake in a slight hill (with the engine downwards) the vibrations increases and can be felt through the steering wheel when the transmission is hitting the pawl. No vibrations can be felt when in normal speed. Besides this the vibrations also can be felt through the steering wheel when im turning in low speed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 08-02-2021, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by stianlundell
Besides this the vibrations also can be felt through the steering wheel when im turning in low speed.
Transfer case try oil change remedy in attached bulletin if this fails TC may need replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
28.50_11.pdf (75.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:37 AM

W211 E280 4Matic
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Transfer case try oil change remedy in attached bulletin if this fails TC may need replacement.
I’ll try that, thank you!!

But will the transfer case make the vibrations at idle too? Can’t understand the context between transfer case and vibration of the tawl?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
May have multiple problems posted bulletin going on your “turning at slow speed” lead.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
1) Did the issue begin after the CV axle was replaced?
2) Does it do it in park, or only drive/reverse? aka when load is provided.
3) If it did, what is "OEM". If it is ANYTHING but a BRAND NEW Genuine Mercedes part from the dealer its likely the issue if 1) and 2) are true.

I documented the issue with aftermarket cv axles and vibrations at idle a few months ago. Everybody told me it wasn't the axle and it wasn't possible, but I was convinced it was and it did fix my vibration issue. The problem is suspected to be caused by a lack of free float of the inner axle, likely due to the boot being incorrectly installed by aftermarket manufacturers which shortens the length of the axle. Because the front transfer case is mounted to the oil pan without any rubber, it transfers the vibrations straight over.
Your description is identical to what I was experiencing after I had a shop reboot my OE axle after the boot split. I then replaced the axle with a GKN aftermarket and the vibration got worse which made me further question it. Coughed up the big bucks for the MB part and problem solved. Buttery smooth again.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/e3...#post-18203054

Last edited by ps2cho; 08-03-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:27 AM

W211 E280 4Matic
Originally Posted by ps2cho
3) If it did, what is "OEM". If it is ANYTHING but a BRAND NEW Genuine Mercedes part from the dealer its likely the issue if 1) and 2) are true.

I documented the issue with aftermarket cv axles and vibrations at idle a few months ago. Everybody told me it wasn't the axle and it wasn't possible, but I was convinced it was and it did fix my vibration issue. The problem is suspected to be caused by a lack of free float of the inner axle, likely due to the boot being incorrectly installed by aftermarket manufacturers which shortens the length of the axle. Because the front transfer case is mounted to the oil pan without any rubber, it transfers the vibrations straight over.
Your description is identical to what I was experiencing after I had a shop reboot my OE axle after the boot split. I then replaced the axle with a GKN aftermarket and the vibration got worse which made me further question it. Coughed up the big bucks for the MB part and problem solved. Buttery smooth again.

1) When I bought the car, the vibrations was already there… Therefore I started with replacing the engine and transmission mount which didn’t help at all. (the engine mount were complitely broken)

2) Yes, it occurs in park too when load is provided, espesially when parked incline or in reverse/drive incline

3) The engine and transmission mounts were Lemforder and bought from dealer. The LEFT cv Axle was bought from a used car, but was a orginally OEM part, in good condition (Also same lenght). I have not tried yet to replace the right CV axle, wanting to know if that can possible be the problem first..
Old 08-05-2021, 12:56 PM

W211 E280 4Matic

1) The vibrations was already there when I bought the car, so I started with the most common fails, engine and transmission mounts with no difference

2) Yes, it occurs sometimes in park too, but most when parked inclined. Also most in reverse and drive when standing inclined. So basically when load is provided yes.

3) I bought the CV Axle from a used car, but this was the same lenght as the one on the car. I have not replaced the one on the right side yet, hoping for some more answers before buying it.. I also tried to disconnect the one on the left side when at idle, with no difference..
Old 08-07-2021, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
1) The vibrations was already there when I bought the car, so I started with the most common fails, engine and transmission mounts with no difference

2) Yes, it occurs sometimes in park too, but most when parked inclined. Also most in reverse and drive when standing inclined. So basically when load is provided yes.

3) I bought the CV Axle from a used car, but this was the same lenght as the one on the car. I have not replaced the one on the right side yet, hoping for some more answers before buying it.. I also tried to disconnect the one on the left side when at idle, with no difference..
turn the wheel to full lock (counterclockwise) have a helper leave it in drive hold the brakes and step out and feel the driver tire. Do you feel the vibrations in the driver tire more than the passenger tire?

when it was my driver CV axle the vibrations were 5x worse on the bad side.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:07 AM

W211 E280 4Matic
turn the wheel to full lock (counterclockwise) have a helper leave it in drive hold the brakes and step out and feel the driver tire. Do you feel the vibrations in the driver tire more than the passenger tire?

when it was my driver CV axle the vibrations were 5x worse on the bad side.
Yes, absolutely more vibrations at the driver side… Can it related to play in The grove ball bearing in the oil pan, or do you think the left CV Axle is all to blame?
Old 08-11-2021, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Yes, absolutely more vibrations at the driver side… Can it related to play in The grove ball bearing in the oil pan, or do you think the left CV Axle is all to blame?
possible, hard to know. Issue to me sounds like it’s more likely the CV over the bearing.

up to you what you want to do. New MB axle fixed it for me, but it’s $800. I tried the GKN brand and it made the vibration worse that’s when I went and got the genuine and problem solved.

shop around for the axle on dealer online part sites to find a good deal since they can vary wildly.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
possible, hard to know. Issue to me sounds like it’s more likely the CV over the bearing.

up to you what you want to do. New MB axle fixed it for me, but it’s $800. I tried the GKN brand and it made the vibration worse that’s when I went and got the genuine and problem solved.

shop around for the axle on dealer online part sites to find a good deal since they can vary wildly.
If OP doesn't want to spend the money, I'd suggest a junkyard axle. Should still be fine as long as the boot is intact. And also assuming that it's the original axle and not an aftermarket one that someone put in. Might want to search around for a reman axle instead of a new one.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:48 AM

W211 E280 4Matic

Hmmm okay. But the vibrations still occured when removing the left CV axle. Isn`t that strange?