No start, no crank, steering locked, power to everything, battery fine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500 Wagon
No start, no crank, steering locked, power to everything, battery fine

Hello,

I have a 2005 E500 wagon that was working perfectly that I took on a 6-hour trip. I parked it after returning from the trip and when I came back to start it, it would not start - it wouldn't make any sound or anything.

All the power accessories, lights, etc. are working fine. I tried a jump and tested the battery.

The steering wheel stays locked in position 2. I don't think I hear anything at all when the key is turned to start.

Does this sound like it could be the starter or relay or is it more likely the ESL or EIS? What else can I do to diagnose it?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2021, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If I am reading your post correctly, the key fob will turn the ignition switch in the EIS. Does the same thing occur with your second key fob?

If you connect to a STAR diagnostic system, you will be able to check the status of each of the flags and safeties that must be triggered before the steering wheel will unlock and the starter will engage. Without a diagnostic, you will most likely just be throwing parts at the car wasting money and undergoing frustration.

My guess, and it is only a guess without having a proper diagnosis, is the ESL has failed. I somewhat doubt a canbus connection failure as it has a two wire system and it will work even if one of the wires is shorted or open. If the ESL has failed it may be possible to remove it and replace it with an emulator that will allow the car to start. I've read post on this in the past but I do not have the exact details. It would require a search on your part on both this forum and the other Mercedes forum.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:40 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
Thank you for taking the time to respond bbirdwell!

I was finally able to get to my car with the second key fob, and it started. I then tried my original key fob, and it also started. But then when I drove it, the fan would intermittently stop blowing, the windows did not have the automatic up/down (but they worked), the brake and srs light were blinking intermittently, the blinker would work and not work intermittently, the right parking light was blinking at irregular intervals (lights were set to 0), and the display said "Display malfunction visit workshop" or "SRS malfunction drive to workshop."

I haven't looked through the forum for these issues yet, but if you could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 772 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Are you sure your battery and alternator are good? When multiple items start failing like you describe that is usually because of low voltage. Scroll through the instrument cluster until you see the wrench then press the reset button on the left three times as rapidly as you can it should bring up the bus voltage. It should be 12.1 volts or better with the engine off and approximately 13.9 to 14.1 with the engine running. Low voltage will really screw up the distributed digital control system in these cars.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Symptoms are consistent with bad battery. Voltage present means nothing.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:24 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
It was a corroded connection in the central gateway, and it was expensive to find.
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (08-14-2021)