E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC 'Stop' weird or what???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
SBC 'Stop' weird or what???

The 'boss' cannot get on with SBC 'Stop', does anyone use it on a regular basis and find it useful??

SBC 'Hold' is brilliant and something that is now used without thinking.

Regards to you all,

John
A beautiful morning in Torquay
(Come on you Spurs )
Old 09-19-2004, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI March 03 Avant-Garde, Tansanite Blue/Grey Nappa
yes, it's wierd

Tried it out a couple of times. Interesting and kind of fun, but definately wierd. Can't see myself using it much and wife is freaked out by it.

I would like it if you could switch it off altogether in the operating system, because there is an awful lot going on on that cruise control stalk now, and the SBC S seems to come on a slow speeds and cruise control at higher speeds. Is that right?

Totally agree about SBC H, great feature. Makes me worry about driving other automatics without this feature.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ENEM
I would like it if you could switch it off altogether in the operating system, because there is an awful lot going on on that cruise control stalk now, and the SBC S seems to come on a slow speeds and cruise control at higher speeds. Is that right?
From what I understand SBC Stop deactivates at speeds above 40mph and also whenever the Cruise Control is activated.

That stalk certainly can be a 'busy' place especially if you also have the Distronic option!!!

Regards,
John
Still a beautiful morning in Torquay
Old 09-19-2004, 02:52 PM

'16 528i MSport
I had to tuse the SBC in an emergency stop becuase of stooopid drivers out there and worked beautifully without any skidding! Its easy to disagree with its existence until you use it!
Old 09-19-2004, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
I had to tuse the SBC in an emergency stop becuase of stooopid drivers out there and worked beautifully without any skidding! Its easy to disagree with its existence until you use it!
Hate to say this Mein Kapitain BUT..... That is not SBC 'Stop'

SBC Stop is what you can use in slow moving traffic. When you lift your foot off the throttle it acts as the brake and fetches to vehicle to a standstill.

Sadly I believe that neither this option, or the more beneficial SBC Hold are available on the US version SBC Hold is an excellent fitting one that I would thoroughly recommend.

Regards,
John
Night time in Torquay
Old 09-19-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
I have used it a few times, but haven't really got to the point where I can use it without really concentrating. I guess we don't generally have the traffic that requires it.

I can imagine that once you get comfortable with it, it would make driving in tailbacks much easier.

I use Hold a lot more.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:58 PM

'16 528i MSport
Thas funny you say that John because I had told my service advsior about the next day to check out the car and he said, "Thank god your SBC activated..."
Old 09-19-2004, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
Thas funny you say that John because I had told my service advsior about the next day to check out the car and he said, "Thank god your SBC activated..."
I still think you are getting slightly confused. SBC is no doubt fitted on your car and I personally believe it is an excellent braking system.

We then go onto SBC Stop which is activated by moving the Cruise control lever. It is an option that can be used in slow moving traffic and brings the car to a halt without touching ther brakes I must emphasis that the system is activated by a switch, NOT by putting your foot on the brake pedal.

As has been mentioned by others here, it is not commonly used and because it takes a lot of getting familar with is not used very often.

I hope I have made it a little clearer.

Regards,
John
Medication cutting in and off to bed in Torquay
Old 09-19-2004, 05:39 PM

E320 CDI
love hold, hate stop

Did not even know about SBS Stop before I got my car, but SBS Hold was shown to me on my test drive and I loved it. Reading threads on here before I got delivery I was concerned that the Hold function had been removed from the latest builds, so much so that I checked with dealer that my car would have it. It really is a gr8 feature.

Cannot see myself ever using SBS Stop - it is one step too far for me- and also the function is 'sticky' - once engaged it hounds you til you turn it off. Forget it.

Andy
Old 09-19-2004, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
I believe SBC Stop and Hold are both disabled on US cars, for obvious reasons.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by johna1
I believe SBC Stop and Hold are both disabled on US cars, for obvious reasons.
As in trial lawyers and frivolous lawsuits
Old 09-20-2004, 01:53 AM

I use the SBC S frequently, but glojo is right. It does take a while to get familiar with the system. I also use it as an electronic handbrake instead of the SBC H when I’m too lazy to step on the brake pedal. If you are at a standstill, move the stalk upwards, and it will do the same as SBC H. To release it, move the stalk away from you. You will hear a “gong” when it’s released. The Distronic is handled just like the normal Cruise Control. The only difference is that each movement of the stalk upwards will increment the speed by 10 km/h, and downwards decrement the speed by 10 km/h. If you move the stalk towards you, it will increment the speed with 1 km/h by each movement.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:09 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

I as well use the SBC Stop regularly in the morning rush hour (normally about 15 minutes of use).

As well I use it at some red lights to stop the car.

You just need to get used to it, although I understand it is not so easy to manage.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to activate/deactivate the SBC HOLD?.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by jav
I as well use the SBC Stop regularly in the morning rush hour (normally about 15 minutes of use).

As well I use it at some red lights to stop the car.

You just need to get used to it, although I understand it is not so easy to manage.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to activate/deactivate the SBC HOLD?.
Not sure what you mean by deactivating the SBC H. You engage it with a firm pressure on the brake pedal. It's automatically disengaged when you hit the throttle pedal. That's all.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

Thanks Oslo,

I need to go back and try it again.

Since I did (could) not use the SBC H before, I guess I had the wrong image of its function.

If indeed the SBC H is holding the car until you press the gas pedal, is it then true that the use of SBC S at a red light is the same as the SBC H, only different method of activating it? (of course knowing that with SBC S, it will be engaged until a certain speed is reached, or until you manually deactivate it).
Old 09-20-2004, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jav
If indeed the SBC H is holding the car until you press the gas pedal, is it then true that the use of SBC S at a red light is the same as the SBC H, only different method of activating it? (of course knowing that with SBC S, it will be engaged until a certain speed is reached, or until you manually deactivate it).
That is correct. But SBC S will in addition also have the function that glojo described so well in the post above.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:50 AM
JPM

You can also activate SBC Hold by a quick blip on the brake pedal when stopped rather than a firm push, less effort

I found SBC Stop did a pretty poor job of bringing the car to a smooth halt, there was nearly always a lurch when the car came to rest.

SBC Hold is great, but it is a real pity that the brake lights remain on when SBC Hold is engaged as this is a bit unpleasant for the person behind you. Don't understand the logic of leaving them on, frankly.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JPM
SBC Hold is great, but it is a real pity that the brake lights remain on when SBC Hold is engaged as this is a bit unpleasant for the person behind you. Don't understand the logic of leaving them on, frankly.
I understand what your saying, especially if it is raining, but playing 'Devil's Advocate' here, I suppose SBC Hold is actually applying the footbrake for you.

Regards,
John
Wind, rain and sunny spells in Torquay