E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Did you have wiper blade problems when you got the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320

Hi,

Got a E320 about a month ago, and it drives great (except that it veers slightly to the right - a problem I mentioned previously).

Anyways, my wiper blades aren't working smoothly. The other night, when it was raining reasonably hard, I couldn't leave my wiper blades on even the lowest intermittent setting. The blades would jerk on the way down, and I could see the skid marks.

I obviously need the blades replaced, but I was curious if this problem was typical with new E320s (or if people have problems with the wiper blades in general).

Thanks. I realize that I am pretty **** retentive, but I've never seen wiper blades jerk so much on a brand new car.

Also - it's a 2004 model, so I have the "warranty". Replacing these blades should be covered, right?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Absolutely no problems whatsoever on our 2004 S211

Now my previous S210 and 'smearing'

Regards,
John
Sunny with some clouds in Torquay
Old 09-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport

I had similar problems with the wipers on my E500. It seems that the wipers tend to skip over the windshield if there is any residue buildup on the windshield. The most probable culprit is wax, especially if the car has been through a car wash. You need to clean the windshield really well. I used a glass cleaner from NAPA. It's their brand, it contains amonia, and it works really well. I have heard others endorse a glass stripper from No Touch, but that stuff is really harsh, and should only be used in extreme situations. Go get yourself a really good glass cleaner, and do a thorough job cleaning the windshield, especially where the blades turn around, at the sides and bottom of the windshield. I did that, and mine are smooth as silk. Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:12 PM

hilmar2k is right. I had this problem only after applying rain-x. It went away though...
Old 09-19-2004, 12:21 PM

2012 CLS
Its very unliekly to be anything on the windshield.

Its the wipers.

And not just the blades.

I had 4 sets of blades - paid for by the dealer. Problem kept coming back.

Eventually the complete wiper arms were changed with a car in the showroom.

Immediate cure and 25000 miles since.

By all means try blades, but my advice would be to get the whole arm changed.

I was getting to the point where I was considering selling the car, as the wipers were UNBEARABLE !!!!!!!!!

Now all is well.

Good luck.

Marc
Old 09-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport

All I know is that my wipers were embarassingly noisy, I cleaned my windshield with a good glass cleaner, and now they are silent and completely streak free. I tried replacing the wiper blades, had the dealership adjust them, with no success. Only after I thoroughly cleaned the windshield did the problem go away. Besides, cleaning the windshield is really easy, and doesn't require any extra trips to the dealership. Seems a whole lot easier than swapping them out with a set from the showroom.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E500 Sport
Here's the stuff I used that works really well. You may have to clean the windshield twice, I always do. I have made a habit of cleaning my windshield every week or so, or immediately after going through a car wash to get the wax off. Hope it helps.

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...8&prmenbr=5806
Old 09-19-2004, 12:47 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Had the same problem with our '03. The juddering/skipping of the blades was accompanied by a really ugly "graunch" noise. The dealer replaced the blades (only, not the arms) and the problem went away completely.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:52 PM

2012 CLS
All I know is that my wipers were embarassingly noisy, I cleaned my windshield with a good glass cleaner, and now they are silent and completely streak free. I tried replacing the wiper blades, had the dealership adjust them, with no success. Only after I thoroughly cleaned the windshield did the problem go away. Besides, cleaning the windshield is really easy, and doesn't require any extra trips to the dealership. Seems a whole lot easier than swapping them out with a set from the showroom.
I guess I'm sensative to the cleaning solution as that was all the dealer was prepared to do for a long time.

I've been driving for 25years and never had to clean the windshield with anything special. It was cleaned with a variety of custom cleaners, and the dealer even used wire wool - but the noise soon came back (2 days max).

In the end wipers replacement was the only solution.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:09 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
100% in agreement with Marc.

Blade replacement/cleaning did not fix the problem. Only replacing the arm/blade worked.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:46 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Like others here.. For me it was the wax they had put on my car when it was serviced.. Ug.. Wiped it off (scrubbed) and now it is silent.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by LuvMyMercedes
Anyways, my wiper blades aren't working smoothly. The other night, when it was raining reasonably hard, I couldn't leave my wiper blades on even the lowest intermittent setting. The blades would jerk on the way down, and I could see the skid marks.it's a 2004 model, so I have the "warranty". Replacing these blades should be covered, right?
Wiper blades are normally covered for the first 12 months or 12000 miles whichever come first. Had the very same problem and replacing the blades (only) solved it and hasn’t returned since.

FYI:

For all those with wiper blade problems up to VIN A218290, bulletin P-B-82.30/254 “Windshield Wiper Blade Noisy” should cover free replacement past the normal 12month/12000 mile limit. If a copy is needed, Private Message and include your email address.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Wiper blades are normally covered for the first 12 months or 12000 miles whichever come first. Had the very same problem and replacing the blades (only) solved it and hasn’t returned since.

FYI:

For all those with wiper blade problems up to VIN A218290, bulletin P-B-82.30/254 “Windshield Wiper Blade Noisy” should cover free replacement past the normal 12month/12000 mile limit. If a copy is needed, Private Message and include your email address.

thnx for the tip; wiper problem just started for me, have yet to try either solution