E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help with noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e320 wagon (2003)
Help with noise?

Has anyone had the same noise in their car and fixed it?
I include two sound clips of the noise in my station wagon. It might be more pronounced than in sedans because there is more noise coming through from the back. I have had the noise for over two years. It seems to come from the back of the car while I am driving and it seems to sync with the wheel rotation. It does not change when I break, so it should not be the brakes. I have also changed the discs, calipers and pads in the back. I have tried backing off the parking brakes and that did not change the noise, same with overtightening them. Same noise with my old winter tires, new winter tires and summer tires. The tire guys said I had a bent rim on my summer wheel but retracted the statement when I bought a 'new' rim and said the tire was damaged after a puncture, so 'new' tire. No change.
I mostly suspect wheel bearing, half shafts, cv joints or possibly the differential - but it could of course be something else. I think the car could do with an alignment for the back wheels, but not before I fixed this issue.
At the mandatory yearly inspection the mechanic especially checked the play in the wheel bearings and said they had the normal 'mercedes play', so all good according to him.
I have tried taping a tiny microphone outside the car near each wheel and recording while driving. But there is only road and wind noise on the recordings.
The attached recordings were made with my phone lying in the backseat, with the seats removed - directly above the fuel pump in the tank. The low speed recording was made at max 30 mph (I think), and the medium speed maybe maxed out at 50 mph.
I thank you in advance for any well founded suggestion.
/Ed
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Mercedes_noise_slow.mp3 (280.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: mp3
Mercedes_noise_medium_speed.mp3 (517.4 KB, 10 views)