E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How Far In Advance Is Your MB Dealer Booked?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
How Far In Advance Is Your MB Dealer Booked?

Called my dealer today (Friday) to tell them the cluster info center was displaying "Service B in 1125 miles"... They said thanks for calling, we can get you in next Friday, will you be requiring a loaner car?" I told them I didn't want to be a pig, but if they had one it would be nice... They said "Bring in an insurance ID card & your license and we'll have a car for you". I feel this is a very short wait interval for routine, non emergency service. I wasn't aware that a loaner car would be made available for routine service, just unscheduled warranty repairs. Is this the standard operating procedure in MB service departments in your experience?

I always develop a "mutually rewarding", first name, personal relationship with my Service Advisor, but this is my 1st Benz & 1st "routine service".

How long ahead do you have to book a routine service appointment? Is this dealership typical or not? I ask because I had heard of 3 week to 1 month long waits for non emergency service appointments at MB being the norm, and that "Lexus will spoil you -Mercedes will kill you."

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-25-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 528i MSport
I know I book ahead just to assure myself that I will be receiving a rental car when dropping off. Alot of times, people come in out of nowhere and expect a car but they're all out. More or less, they accommodate you with some Enterprise piece of **** but its not a MB.

I remember when I made an appointment and it turned out to be 2 weeks later! I had no choice so I took the date..
Old 09-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
48 hours if I want it - complete with C-Class loaner. I’m on pretty good terms with the service dept. inclusive of the shop foreman.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Well, almost!

Last week booked an appointment for our BMW (Williams Auto World, Okemos, MI, also handles M-B) for same week.

FWIW, I'm an enthusiastic supporter of this dealership. I've had a relationship with them since 1977 (VW Scirocco), and they've never done me wrong!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
I received a letter from my dealer on friday of last week (9-17) to remind me to have the car serviced as they estimated the milage I should have on the car should be approximatly 10,000 miles.... Although I had only 9300 miles on the clock and the FSS system still shows nearly 3000 miles untill a service is needed the dealer still serviced my car (earily) and of coarse free of charge.... My wife took it in today (9-24)... So to answer your question, I feel this is probably a typical wait but not for sure as this is my first benz...The wait seems to be no longer than any other dealer I've been too.
By the way I must say my wife was really impressed with the service and special "pampering" she received there... Not only free pasteries, coffee, tea, juice, soda in the waiting area but also private booths with internet access and a small desk to conduct your business while waiting for your ride. Wish I could've been there.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Our car needed a Service C (basically, oil and oil filter) recently; my wife called for an appointment at M-B of Sacramento on Tuesday or Wednesday and got an appointment for Friday morning. They could have taken it on Thursday afternoon but Friday morning was more convenient for her. She got an '03 C240 as a loaner.

Semi-interesting side story: The speedo display started counting down the days to required service, instead of the miles, starting with 30 days before what it decided was the "due date" for service. Day "0" was exactly 365 days after we took delivery of the car. I assume it did that because we had driven only about 10,000 miles in the first year and it didn't want even the synoil to go more than one year without a change.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
I have a great relationship with my dealer. There have been many times where I will call and they will tell me to bring the car in that day. I have a company car, so I don't really need a loaner (although they will give if asked). They will have someone drive me home and then come pick me up when the car is done
Old 09-25-2004, 12:16 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Generally I can get an appointment for the same week but as for loaners, the few dealers in the LA area that I have tried(so far 3 of them) only provides loaners if you bought the car from them.

Is this the same trend for dealers in other parts of the country ?
Old 09-25-2004, 09:16 AM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
My dealer gets me in within a week, with loaner, regardless of service requirement. Dealer is MB of Fairfield, CT USA
Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 PM

2004 E320 Techtite Gray/Ash
SoCal MB Loaners

Gearhead:
Dont know which SoCal dealers you have tried or where you are located, but I definately do not get my MB serviced where I purchased it. I wouldn't have purchased it there either had it been my choice, but they were the only dealer with whom I could purchase it through a special purchasing program through my company. If you are in the LA area, Downtown Motors in downtown Los Angeles is a fantastic dealer including service and you get a MB loaner every time. Several friends all with MB's and we all go there. My last loaner was an '04 E320. They had my car for 5 days and I had theirs. No problems and no hassles. They were stellar.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by konigstiger
48 hours if I want it - complete with C-Class loaner. I’m on pretty good terms with the service dept. inclusive of the shop foreman.
Was it Schumachers? I took my 300E there to have the head gasket replaced. I got a crappy Enterprise rental. The next time I took it to Phoenix Motors and got a new C240 loaner.

I bought the car in Minnesota.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:45 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally Posted by mikedd0
Gearhead:
Dont know which SoCal dealers you have tried or where you are located, but I definately do not get my MB serviced where I purchased it. I wouldn't have purchased it there either had it been my choice, but they were the only dealer with whom I could purchase it through a special purchasing program through my company. If you are in the LA area, Downtown Motors in downtown Los Angeles is a fantastic dealer including service and you get a MB loaner every time. Several friends all with MB's and we all go there. My last loaner was an '04 E320. They had my car for 5 days and I had theirs. No problems and no hassles. They were stellar.
Hi mikedd0

Thanks for your feedback. I have not tried Downtown Motors because of a previous VERY BAD experience. Ever since, I have avoided them like plaque.

The dealers I have tried were Penske, SouthBay and FJ. I bought mine from FJ and have not been happy with their service and so I took it to the others. Each time, I was told that since I did not buy my car there, I don't "qualify" for a loaner.

Maybe Downtown Motors warrants another look but I still have a very bad taste in my mouth .... hmmmm

Who in particular did you deal with over at Downtown Motors Service?

Thanks again for your suggestions
Old 09-25-2004, 06:28 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
Once I make an appointment, my dealer drops a loaner at my house, pickup my car to be serviced. When my car is ready, I just return the loaner to the dealer, and pick up my car. I am only 20 miles from dealer.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:12 PM

2003 E-500
QUOTE:How long ahead do you have to book a routine service appointment? Is this dealership typical or not? I ask because I had heard of 3 week to 1 month long waits for non emergency service appointments at MB being the norm, and that "Lexus will spoil you -Mercedes will kill you."[/QUOTE]

I usually get in the next day and always get a Merecedes loaner car. Usually it's another E model but if I ask ahead I can get an ML. They have a lot of Mercedes dealers here in Southern CA and all of the big ones give loaners. They have close to 200 loaners at my dealer. It's good to establish a relationship with your Service Advisor and with the General Manager. I bought my last car direct from the GM and avoided any ****ering as he gave me a good price instantly. You may have to buy more than one car from them to get that kind of relationship. Most repairs are completed within one day, but if you have to wait for a part it could be longer. Now that the W 211's have been out for 2+ years you usually don't have to wait for parts.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I don't service at my selling dealer either. I bought my car internet style from a dealer in PA. My local dealer welcomed me for service with open arms.