E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

My car wont start and i cant hear the fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 E220 CDI
My car wont start and i cant hear the fuel pump.

Hello!
I have a 2004 w211 E220 CDI, so recently the car started doing this weird thing: one day it starts normally, another day just cranks and wont start at all and sometimes it takes time to start but eventually does and sometimes it starts normally and dies on me randomly while driving. Today it refused to start and i just noticed that i didnt hear that humming noise (of the electric fuel pump i suppose if i'm not mistaken). In my humble opinion i guess it's a fuel delivery problem. Can anyone tell me how to diagnose the problem? is the electric fuel pump outside or inside the tank in the diesel models? i'd really appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to solve this problem! Thanks in advance!
PS: The car isnt displaying any error messages.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Hopefully you have a 2nd key-fob to try, EIS (electronic ignition switch) & key-fob "handshake" when mated but one or other can fail during cranking & cause issue described w/o setting any DTC's in DAS.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 PM

w211 E220 CDI
Originally Posted by PSDCampervan
Hopefully you have a 2nd key-fob to try, EIS (electronic ignition switch) & key-fob "handshake" when mated but one or other can fail during cranking & cause issue described w/o setting any DTC's in DAS.
Thank you for your suggestions ! i tested both key fobs till the same problem. I tested the fuel pump relay and it seems to work fine, the fuse is intact and i removed the inlet from the diesel filter and turned on the key to make the pump prime the system: i guess the pump works because the diesel fuel seem to be squirting fairly strong from the fuel line i practically cant stop it with my finger ( i dont know if it's the normal flow though). I also changed the diesel filter still nothing. No error messages are displayed still. The mechanic came today, did and obd scan nothing major showed apart from an old oil sensor error. He didnt know the cause of this problem.
Old 02-09-2022, 04:24 PM

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
2006 E280
Besides the obd scan, did the mechanic check any live data, like fuel rail pressure?
Old 02-09-2022, 06:05 PM

w211 E220 CDI
Originally Posted by Heguli
Besides the obd scan, did the mechanic check any live data, like fuel rail pressure?
Thank you for your reply, he didnt check the fuel pressure in the rail. Do you have any idea how much pressure should be in there before starting? it's a 646.061 engine.
He removed the cam sensor the car didnt start for that half or 1 second like it used to but when he put it back thr car started doing its usual thing ( starting very briefly then dying) so i guess the cam sensor works?