E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Add coil spring helpers (buffers, boosters) to prevent inner tire wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Add coil spring helpers (buffers, boosters) to prevent inner tire wear?

My wife's 2007 E320 with 207000 miles just needed new tires because of inner tire wear on the rears. (Those Michelins lasted much longer (35,000 miles) than Falkens (22,000) or Coopers (25,000) had previously, so I'm generally pleased with the Michelins.)

The car still runs great. We only have one child at home now, so the back seat is occupied less often than ever before. And, yet, the tires are wearing as though the rear of the car is overloaded.

I have read that short of ordering aftermarket kits, the camber is non-adjustable. I don't think that new springs are necessarily in order (they certainly aren't broken; and the ride is just fine).

But I was thinking that after 14 years and 200000 miles, perhaps the rear coils could use a little boost, or a little help. I wanted to get the experts' opinions on adding something like these (
Amazon Amazon
) coil spring boosters. It won't cost me much to experiment. If it gives me another 5,000 or so miles from my tires and more even wear, that'd be great. If it does nothing, I'd only be out $25.

Has anybody had experience (good or bad) to share?

I note that my springs have two yellow and two blue stripes. Can anybody point me in the direction where I can use that information to choose the appropriate size coil booster? Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
Your rear multilink suspension is designed to maintain constant camber throughout its travel. Longer or stronger springs are not going to fix your camber problem. These cars were designed with a lot of negative rear camber to keep inexperienced drivers from killing themselves. The only fix is a camber kit.