E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

love mercedes event - long island

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
love mercedes event - long island

went to this event today. they had an SLK350 there, they were demonstrating the roof - forget about it, you could see it wasn't going to work as it was raising - and sure enough, it started snapping and belching out plastic pieces. what a mess.

they had the CDI there - very impressed with how quiet it is.

they had a CLS500 there - its stunning. interior could have been a somewhat roomier.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by nyca
went to this event today. they had an SLK350 there, they were demonstrating the roof - forget about it, you could see it wasn't going to work as it was raising - and sure enough, it started snapping and belching out plastic pieces. what a mess.

they had the CDI there - very impressed with how quiet it is.

they had a CLS500 there - its stunning. interior could have been a somewhat roomier.
I was there too. Didn't see the top fiasco but did get to drive the SLK 350, which is very impressive. Terrific acceleration, great brakes, great handling. Unfortunately, no room for two people and a large dog, and the trunk is miniscule if the top is down, so its not for long trips, and not for me. Also got to drive the CDI -- quiet for a diesel and a very nice car, but not quiet enough for me, and I think still not for sale in NY. Got to ride in a G500 and wasn't impressed. OK, it can climb rocks. But it is big and clunky and hugely expensive. As for the CLS, I was a little disappointed after all the hype. Its an E on the inside with a sleeker body that actually to me was not that attractive compared to the E lines. Certanly not worth another $10,000 -- or whatever they are going to charge, which everyone says will be between the Es and the Ss.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Originally Posted by weinschela
Also got to drive the CDI -- quiet for a diesel and a very nice car, but not quiet enough for me, and I think still not for sale in NY.
yes it's not for sale in NY and how much quieter would you want it? it is quiter at speed than it's gas counterpart
Old 09-27-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kort677
yes it's not for sale in NY and how much quieter would you want it? it is quiter at speed than it's gas counterpart
I disagree about its "quietness" at both speed and idle (where there really can be no debate; it sounds -- and smells -- like a diesel). But this is a matter of personal preference and I didn't intend to start a gas/diesel debate or flame war. My preference is to stick with my E500. For those of you who like the CDI, great. Further debate here will only devolve into something like the "best color" debate, which is kind of meaningless. There are different models and flavors because what appeals to one person does not appeal to another.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
I disagree about its "quietness" at both speed and idle (where there really can be no debate; it sounds -- and smells -- like a diesel). But this is a matter of personal preference and I didn't intend to start a gas/diesel debate or flame war. My preference is to stick with my E500. For those of you who like the CDI, great. Further debate here will only devolve into something like the "best color" debate, which is kind of meaningless. There are different models and flavors because what appeals to one person does not appeal to another.
well said. im going to the event this coming sunday near great adventure in NJ. i figured it would be a nicer drive down there vs. a ride to LI with traffic
Old 09-27-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I went on Saturday, and surprisingly the legendary LI traffic was moving quite well, and that was taking the Nav suggested route.

I didn't stay too long, but I wanted to test out the CDI, and I drove the CLK320. The CDI was certainly quiet enough (although I did hear a *little* clank on outside). You would barely know the difference, except at the gas tank. Now if they brought the 400 CDI over here, that may be a different story.

I didn't like the fact that they were being very strict about speed limits on the course. Previous events similiar to this that I had gone to really let you go quick in the car. Overall, though, a class act in presentation, though.

The G really doesn't interest me that much either, and by the wait in the lines for it, I barely had to wait to get a ride. As you said, sure it climbs rocks, but not too impressed otherwise.

I also thought that the CLS was not too attractive. Talking with the rep on board, it was clear that it was meant to be a sporting car. Seeing it in person it had a very Jaguar-esqe stance. The interior was a gussied up E interior.

And I also saw the Sirius antenna, and that thing was HUGE. The radio was very nice, though. You just have to do the t-bone method if you want it.

Last edited by alewifebp; 09-27-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:56 PM

2005 E320
I also was there and here are my comments:

Speed Limits:
- not sure bout these, I was nice enough out of the gate at the "fun in the sun" track, but once I got out to the other end, where there were less prying eyes, I nearly got the SL500 sideways on some turns. hehe

G & M class tent.
- I agree the G is quite ugly. One of the reps said that this was the last production year and that the body on that vehicle has not substantially changed in 21 years. Bumping over the rocks were fun, even though you couldn't drive yourself.

CLS
- this was the same green prototype vehicle from the NY auto show back in April the rep said. Flown in from Germany.
- Agreed that interior is much like E, although having C class steering wheel. Can't tell much more about the interior room cause it was not open to sit in.
- front lights will take some getting used to and I don't quite like the Oldsmobile aurora-like rear (IMHO), HOWEVER (and that's a big HOWEVER), I've seen some of the recent AMG versioned, non-green photos coming out and I can really see myself liking this car sometime soon.

CDI
- Actually was anxious to drive this cause it's not yet avail in ny. Nice and tourqy, but considerable response delay on the pedal.
- No louder on the inside than my E320 (especially when the damn fan is running, and my car sounds more like something coming out of the Lockheed or Boeing), if listening from the outside you might tell a difference.

SLK
- Nice but quite small
- Great engine, noticed while I was there that it's faster than the SL500. Don't know bout you but if I bought a $100K 8 cylinder sports convertible I would be a little POed if the same company's half-priced 6 cylinder roadster was 1/2 sec faster 0-60mph.

my $0.02
Old 09-27-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
I agree pretty much with everything that has been said here about the CLS. It appears the same old ugly green one has been making all the rounds.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe-c219/79106-pics-love-mercedes-event.html

You would have thought MB would choose a better color when introducing a new model. That's like wearing brown leisure suit (my apologies if anyone still likes those).

I saw it back in late July (I think) when the tour came through the Bay Area. I'm sure it drives really nice, but I like the E class better overall in terms of appearance.

Didn't drive the SLK since the line was too long.

The SL500 was a blast. Seemed more responsive than the E500 for some reason. Could have been the tranny.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:39 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
I disagree about its "quietness" at both speed and idle (where there really can be no debate; it sounds -- and smells -- like a diesel).
I'd be willing to bet that you've never even come within a 100 yards of a CDI
Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kort677
I'd be willing to bet that you've never even come within a 100 yards of a CDI
What are you willing to bet? I drove one on Sunday at the Nassau Coliseum event. I think that qualifies for the 100 yard rule. I just don't like the sound. The car handled fine and accelerated well. Just not for me. As for the bet, I will settle for an apology.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:25 AM

CLK 320
I had planned to be there Saturday morning, but ended up going Sunday afternoon. It's ridiculous that they only had one of each CLK/SLK, so the lines were outrageous... I think we stood in line for 20 minutes for the CLK cabrio.

The event itself was good I think... not a whole lot of info that you can't pick up from these very forums, and other than taking a look at the CLS first-hand (which sucked because it was still locked), or going up on 3 wheels on the G course, there wasn't really much to show.

The best part was trying to see who was going to wipe out on the course, and I remember seeing at least one guy that put the SLK sideways at the start. During my run I was told somebody was pulled out of the SL and their wrist-band taken away for acting stupid with the car... hopefully it wasn't anybody here...
Old 09-28-2004, 11:30 AM

CLK 320
What are you willing to bet? I drove one on Sunday at the Nassau Coliseum event. I think that qualifies for the 100 yard rule. I just don't like the sound. The car handled fine and accelerated well. Just not for me. As for the bet, I will settle for an apology.
I just came back from the Netherlands, and there are literally tons of CDI E-class as taxis out there... a good chunk of them are '03s too. I didn't hear nor did I smell them all that much...

You can obviously tell when you're inside, but for the most part it's not like a lawnmower sound or anything...
Attached Thumbnails love mercedes event - long island-dsc03286.jpg  
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by alewifebp
the legendary LI traffic was moving quite well
If all you drivers from NYC and NJ didn't come to LI, there wouldn't be any traffic on LI.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
CALBenzo: The off the line difference between the SL500 and E500 is huge. My friend has an SL, and it is so much more responsive. I think that the tranny is a lot more tuned to downshift earlier on the SL, letting you harness the power. When the E finally decides to downshift, it does move quite well.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
That's too bad, since if the power and torque are there, we might as well harness it. I suppose the E-class tranny is geared more toward fuel economy.

Regarding the CLS being "locked", it wasn't in the Tour running throught the Bay Area (of course that was the 1st stop). Something must have happened during one of the stops. Perhaps someone tried to hotwire it.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
...I've got to agree... Yes todays MB diesels are quietER and cleanER, than ever before, but I wouldn't have one even if it were 10 grand less than the 6 or V8 gas versions available here. Its not a "knock" on YOUR tastes, it just a personal preference. As long as the 2 fuels are as close in price as they are, and remain available, I prefer gasoline.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-28-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:36 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
what event was this and i didnt know about it?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:59 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by kostas
what event was this and i didnt know about it?
This is the LoveMyMercedes Tour that's making the rounds... it's been discussed at length in many threads already. I think there are still a couple of cities left in the tour, but you'll have to check out their website to see what's near you:

http://www.lovemercedestour.com/Locations.asp
Old 09-29-2004, 01:16 PM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
I have an '04 SL500 and my sister has an '04 E500 (and yes, she's pissed her "little brother" has a nicer car)...there is a huge difference in the acceleration and responsiveness between the two cars. But then again, one is a family sedan and one is a sport/coupe/convertible.

As far as being outpaced by an '05 SLK350 - that's just fine. It's a 1/2 second faster 0-60...but having driven both cars in the Atlanta LoveMercedes Tour - there is no comparison. The SLK is nice but the SL has way more fit, finish, finesse and all around is a much more complete car.

Nothing against the SLK - I liked it, but I wouldn't trade my SL for two SLK's.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gunther
I have an '04 SL500 and my sister has an '04 E500 (and yes, she's pissed her "little brother" has a nicer car)...there is a huge difference in the acceleration and responsiveness between the two cars. But then again, one is a family sedan and one is a sport/coupe/convertible.

As far as being outpaced by an '05 SLK350 - that's just fine. It's a 1/2 second faster 0-60...but having driven both cars in the Atlanta LoveMercedes Tour - there is no comparison. The SLK is nice but the SL has way more fit, finish, finesse and all around is a much more complete car.

Nothing against the SLK - I liked it, but I wouldn't trade my SL for two SLK's.
Part of mydecision on the SL vs the SLK.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Hope you love every second of your SLK, Lana...you should, it's a great car. But here in Atlanta there isn't anywhere that I can get 0-60 in the fastest possible time - traffic here is just too thick even on the expressways. No one seems to know how to stay to the right when going slower.

It's also the main reason why I didn't go for the SL55. Where would I do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds??

What are you getting on the SLK? What color combo?