Looking for opinions on CDI build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI
Looking for opinions on CDI build

Hello all.

I am looking for input on how I should build my 2005 E320 CDI. Right now the car is bone stock and with the exception of needing new injectors, it is in good condition. Since the injectors are out anyways, I figure now is probably a good time to start asking the community to see if I should mod the injectors or not.

What I would really like to do is tune the car in such a way that it hits a sweet spot between power, MPG, and reliability, but I have no idea where such a sweet spot would even be. Some basic chip tunes on a stock car seem to do a really good job of getting more out of the car, but I am really curious to know how far you can push things with some mods and a proper tune.

What are you guys's thoughts?
Old 03-12-2022, 01:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I was a mechanical engineering professor in Motorsports and had students ask me this all the time. I did a lot of hotrodding when younger but came to the realization that the factory engineers did a lot of work finding that perfect balance. You can gain a little here or there but will give up somewhere else.

My ‘05 CDI is so close to perfect that I wouldn’t change the brand of air filter; great mileage, super low end torque, sounds marvelous, handles great rides like a dream. BTW, mine has over 235,000 miles.

A student of mine had a hot rodded Infinity and spent considerable time and money trying to get check engine lights to go away. Taking everything back to stock with only marginal success. I think I there was some programming changes made that he could never find and dealer didn’t want to look at it.

How about changing the color?

Peter
Old 03-12-2022, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI
Originally Posted by ptkacik
I was a mechanical engineering professor in Motorsports and had students ask me this all the time. I did a lot of hotrodding when younger but came to the realization that the factory engineers did a lot of work finding that perfect balance. You can gain a little here or there but will give up somewhere else.

My ‘05 CDI is so close to perfect that I wouldn’t change the brand of air filter; great mileage, super low end torque, sounds marvelous, handles great rides like a dream. BTW, mine has over 235,000 miles.

A student of mine had a hot rodded Infinity and spent considerable time and money trying to get check engine lights to go away. Taking everything back to stock with only marginal success. I think I there was some programming changes made that he could never find and dealer didn’t want to look at it.

How about changing the color?

Peter
Since posting this thread I have come to a similar conclusion. I am buying new stock nozzles for the injectors. The stock fueling system is more than capable of running enough torque to cause the transmission problems. I am going to delete the EGR, upgrade the intercooler, and delete the turbo silencer and call it good. Hopefully cleaning out the swirl flaps and deleting the EGR will prevent the swirl flaps from gumming up again.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:51 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Yes. I worried about all that at 50,000 miles when my EGR failed and cost $800 but the repair included an improved EGR valve and a program upgrade. Almost 200,000 miles later and still no more EGR problems.

I’ve also worried about the swirl flaps clogging up but they never did. I wonder what makes them clog, (i.e., full throttle, light throttle, idle, etc.).

Regardless, I do think 2005 was a low point on diesel technology (including EGR on commercial trucks) and suspect the new Urea systems are superior but mine has been fine.

Peter
Old 03-13-2022, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 687 Likes on 499 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Can't agree with the '05 being a low point, and my experience with my E320 CDI (174,000 miles when I sold it) and my '05 Duramax (299,000 miles presently) lend credence to my opinion. That car had more push than anything I've owned and the truck has done everything I have asked it to.
The '95 chevy 6.5 turbodiesel though... and the '85 300D... THOSE were not highlights of diesel ownership.

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 03-13-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:09 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Good point. I guess despite my statement of 2005 being a low point for diesels, my ‘05 CDI has been wonderful.

My comment was more related to the high volume of EGR sooting up the intake. I just don’t like the idea of all that soot even though it hasn’t been a problem so far.

Peter