E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Trans question with pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 E350 4matic
Trans question with pictures

I was having shifting issues, and at times the car would not move while in drive. Would turn off the car and restart good to go until next time. No pattern of frequency for problems.

I planned on pulling the valve body and replacing the conductor plate.

When I drained and removed the pan the magnet was covered with small metal chunks as we well as the standard iron soup. I squeezed the filter and fluid and the same chunks came out. There were no chunks in the output tube of he filter leading into the valve body.

This is a 2008 E350 4matic 722.676 transmission. Cast plate No. 0006. 194,000k on the odometer. I did full transmission flushes at 85k and 165k

All solenoids were tested for resistance and found to be in spec.

Pictures show filings swept from top of valve body with the magnet.

In this picture, I absorbed the fluid with a tissue in the diamond shaped form to show the chunks. The form to the left shows fluid over chunks.
Is the transmission shot or should I just replace the conductor plate, flush system and see what happens.
Thank you in advance.

Marc
Old 05-15-2022, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-350
I'm a newbie on here myself but from reading up and viewing various scenarios across several platforms, I would think you a several of options as you suggested yourself:
  1. Option 1: Conduct a thorough cleaning of the valve body and initiate trans flush (2X). Put it all back together and monitor the transmissions performance.
  2. Option 2: Perform a overhaul of the current Transmission unit (attempting to salvage current valve body and conductor plate)
  3. Option 3: Purchase and Install a new or salvaged Transmission Unit
As a side note: I've recently gained access to 2022 WIS/ASRA/EPC software within the last 2hrs and it's heavy on the transmission and its components being kept clear of the any foreign objects or debris. The caution is this can lead to serious failure in which is kind of general knowledge but the options I suggested are more cost/budget driven. I don't know your situation but I recommend starting with the more affordable path first while saving up for what the future holds.

Thanks for reading this reply and I hope this reply aids in your success!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:34 AM

'08 E350 4matic
Thank you for your thoughts on this. You are absolutely right about cleanliness when working with an automatic transmission. They do not tolerate foreign matter at all.

I have worked on many different manual and automatic transmissions; however, this is my first German auto trans.

I guess my more pointed question would be, and since I have no experience with this transmission, which internal transmission parts would shed these metallic chips.

If I found this type of debris in a 6L50 or a 350 turbo, the unit would go the graveyard so my instincts tell me to go with lower mileage pull.

Now to find a "how to" for pulling this out of the car.

Marc
Old 05-15-2022, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-350
Let me know if you need a "how to" on pulling the trans. I can look it up in the WIS system. I'm contemplating purchasing the Xentry with passthru ablity and There's just ton of options out there. Taking a step back every now and then to prevent the initiation of analysis paralysis.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:05 PM

'08 E350 4matic
Thanks for the offer, however, I think it is time to get a copy of WIS since my wife is now wed to MB cars and when this one finally goes there will be a next one . . . . .
Old 05-15-2022, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,173 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by 951Fan
Thanks for the offer, however, I think it is time to get a copy of WIS since my wife is now wed to MB cars and when this one finally goes there will be a next one . . . . .
The knock off copies of WIS are on eBay for about $10 or less, just search for Mercedes WIS. They're on a new system now but the old WIS still works, it stopped a couple years ago. I don't think there's a knock off for the new system as I think it might all be online.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:03 PM

'08 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
The knock off copies of WIS are on eBay for about $10 or less, just search for Mercedes WIS. They're on a new system now but the old WIS still works, it stopped a couple years ago. I don't think there's a knock off for the new system as I think it might all be online.
Appreciate the info. You are correct, and I bought one.