W211 Cassette Player experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E-Class E220d
W211 Cassette Player experience

Hi everyone!
I know this is kind of unorthodox, but I want to install an Audio 50 APS player into my 2006 E-Class E220d classic. Currently it is has a CD Audio 20, which means it would need quite the modifications, from cables and the AGW being put in the trunk. Before anyone says anything, I want to have a cassette player in this car. I know it sounds stupid, but I want to listen to cassettes. Before I bought this unit, I tested an older W211 with an Audio 50 aps and the sound was pretty good, not gonna lie. I could install a pioneer, Nakamichi or an Older Becker into the CD changer section, but I would prefer to go the official way and get the Audio 50 APS. My question is what is your guys opinion on the audio 50 aps system, if you do use cassettes how well do they sound and if the GPS is usable? It also has a DVD player which will be fine for playing back regular CD's. I really really want to use cassettes in my car, that's why I want to install a cassette player. I live in Slovenia, where there weren't many options at the time and I found a mechanically flawless 2006 E220d. Most e220's that are elegance or avant-garde that did have a cassette player also had automatic transmission, which was not desired, so finding a e220 with a manual transmission and a cassette player was hard to find at the time. I know it won't be easy, but I did find some documentation on how to retrofit an audio 50 and I'm prepared to pay a certain amount for the work. I just really want to listen to cassettes, that's actually one of the reasons I bought this car. For me a car isn't just to get you from point A to B, but to get there as comfortable as possible. Any help would be helpful!