E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E400 CDI crank but no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E400 CDI
Question E400 CDI crank but no start

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, sorry if this has been asked before.
I own a 2003 E400 CDI with the 4L v8 biturbo diesel engine, and recently it started to develop some problems. The most annoying one is mentioned in the title, when the car gets up to normal operating temperature it cranks a lot before firing, recently tho the engine no longer starts when warm. I have to wait a good hour for it to cool down before I can start the engine. Yesterday I was on the motorway when I noticed the car put itself into limp mode, then I decided to stop and restart the engine. After I shut off the engine and instantly attempted to start it, after a long crank it did, but still had no power. So I shut it off again and waited a couple of minutes, but then the car only cranked and not started. Afterwards I had to wait a good hour, and only then could I start the engine. I did a bit of search online but found nothing about this issue with these engines. I'm guessing either the crankshaft sensor or something in the fuel system has to be bad. Annoyingly enough, the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulator along with the fuel filter and camshaft sensor were just recently replaced.

How do I go after this issue? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,088 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
V8-TD warmed up issue

Originally Posted by KKris22
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, sorry if this has been asked before.
I own a 2003 E400 CDI with the 4L v8 biturbo diesel engine, and recently it started to develop some problems. The most annoying one is mentioned in the title, when the car gets up to normal operating temperature it cranks a lot before firing, recently tho the engine no longer starts when warm. I have to wait a good hour for it to cool down before I can start the engine. Yesterday I was on the motorway when I noticed the car put itself into limp mode, then I decided to stop and restart the engine. After I shut off the engine and instantly attempted to start it, after a long crank it did, but still had no power. So I shut it off again and waited a couple of minutes, but then the car only cranked and not started. Afterwards I had to wait a good hour, and only then could I start the engine. I did a bit of search online but found nothing about this issue with these engines. I'm guessing either the crankshaft sensor or something in the fuel system has to be bad.
Annoyingly enough, the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulator along with the fuel filter and camshaft sensor were just recently replaced.

How do I go after this issue? Any help is appreciated.
All these new maintenance parts will prevent problems you won't have

Can you read limp mode faults and the fuel pressure with your scanner ? Compare warm vs. cold...