E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 Audi A6 4.2L V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
2005 Audi A6 4.2L V8

Just did a quick test drive today. I already have the itch. Exterior is impressive. I thought it was the new A8 short wheel base. The elongated grill doesn't look bad in person. Overall outside is impressive and progressive.

I really did not spend a ton of time in the car but my reaction to the interior is that it lies between the rich and complex w211 and the new BMW 5. It's stark but nice. My neighbor has an A6 and this new one looks and feel bigger.
It is a toned down A8 look.

As for the drive I'll give you my SUBJECTIVE opinion so don't bite my head off like some of you guys do. Alot of wind noise. That bothered me. This demo had sport tires so I did not love the road noise. I drove without sales person and radio off so I could listen (noise is a hang up for me). Some rattles that probably should not be there. Stering was loose. That with an unremarkable suspensin made the overall experience neither sporty nor luxurious. Oh well, my itch is gone. Still a nice looking car but I liked my E better when I got back in.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jprescott
Just did a quick test drive today. I already have the itch. Exterior is impressive. I thought it was the new A8 short wheel base. The elongated grill doesn't look bad in person. Overall outside is impressive and progressive.

I really did not spend a ton of time in the car but my reaction to the interior is that it lies between the rich and complex w211 and the new BMW 5. It's stark but nice. My neighbor has an A6 and this new one looks and feel bigger.
It is a toned down A8 look.

As for the drive I'll give you my SUBJECTIVE opinion so don't bite my head off like some of you guys do. Alot of wind noise. That bothered me. This demo had sport tires so I did not love the road noise. I drove without sales person and radio off so I could listen (noise is a hang up for me). Some rattles that probably should not be there. Stering was loose. That with an unremarkable suspensin made the overall experience neither sporty nor luxurious. Oh well, my itch is gone. Still a nice looking car but I liked my E better when I got back in.
Thanks for the review! Are there any technological enhancements that are really noteworthy with the new A6?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:15 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by jprescott
As for the drive I'll give you my SUBJECTIVE opinion so don't bite my head off like some of you guys do.
Us? Bite somebody's head off? Awww. We're just a bunch of puppies and puddycats here.

And if you don't believe that, you know where you can put it.

P.S. I just discovered another word that this board censors. See if you can guess what it is. :p
Old 10-15-2004, 09:00 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Nothing ground breaking tech wise. Dissapointed.I Look forward to the RL.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
A Volkswagen by any other name

Is still the same.

Sheesh if you are going to step down to an Audi, why not sell your house and move into a smaller house, and ask your boss for the demotion you deserve.

Audi has a [checkered] history of building some nice cars, but also dumping some lousy front wheel drive bombs onto the motoring public.

Last edited by cdiken; 10-15-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
audi is making changes to the car for the 2006 MY, changes to the quattro layout to give the car a more rear wheel drive feel. reviews I had read of it have criticized the handling and ride as having too much of a "front drive feel".