Weird 722.9 trans slipping on cold start until first gear change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml w164
Unhappy Weird 722.9 trans slipping on cold start until first gear change

Hi all,
Well I’m posting it here because this is in a 211 E63 but this could equally apply to any number of models using this transmission.
The car has approx 140,000 km on it.
This behaviour happens on a cold start, but it doesn’t have to be cold cold. I did a first start of the day when it was 35 Celsius outside and still had the issue.
In Reverse there is no issue.
In forward in either Sport of Comfort mode (so 1st or 2nd start) it occurs. I can idle out the driveway and feather things to get it to the next gear change (so travel maybe 50-100mt) and then all is good.
If i try to accelerate, it stops moving forward unless i bring it up to around 2000-2200 rpm where the transmission violently grabs and the car lurches forward.

Things done so far:
Star tool scan shows implausible gear or transmission slipping
Fluid changed - fluid level was correct prior to change and no evidence of clutch material (or metal) in oil
Shift adaptations reset and re-learnt.

Attached image shows which solenoid is used for which gear and based on which gears do and don’t have this problem, I’m leaning towards solenoid B2 as a candidate for throwing parts at it.

Does anyone have any other theories or experience with this type of behaviour? I’d like to avoid a rebuild if i can.