E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

just upgraded from halogen to bixenon... wow!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4Matic
just upgraded from halogen to bixenon... wow!

I bought the bixenons from Harton Motorworks and had my dealer put them in since they have to use the computer to activate bixenon anyway. So it turns out they have to remove the whole front bumper to install them... the total bill for 5 hours of labor including the computer work and aligning the beams etc. was $575! Very expensive but worth every penny.

For the parking lights (which illuminate the highbeam reflector housing) I really don't like the look of halogen next to xenon so I installed some nice 7-LED wedge bulbs from LEDtronics before dropping off the headlights with the dealer. It turns out that the bulb failure system actually turns off the bulbs when it senses an outage, so the LEDs are not a plug-and-play upgrade. For now I'm using the stock halogen bulbs until I find a load resistor to make the LEDs work properly.

For the highbeams I'm using 70 watt H7 "xenon match" bulbs and they are fantastic. I found ones that were made in Germany for $28/pair from some website. Combined with the xenon high beams, I am very impressed with the amount of light output. I highly recommend this whole upgrade if you use your high beams with any frequency.

Although the "xenon match" bulbs aren't a perfect match, they're not too bad:
Old 10-20-2004, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Schnitzer E46
Lookin good!! So how would I go about doing that LED upgrade on my W210? I've been very curious about that.. anyways post up pics when you get yours installed!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by eddie
I bought the bixenons from Harton Motorworks and had my dealer put them in since they have to use the computer to activate bixenon anyway. So it turns out they have to remove the whole front bumper to install them... the total bill for 5 hours of labor including the computer work and aligning the beams etc. was $575! Very expensive but worth every penny.
Sounds excellent value, both low beam and high beam. Have they fitted the stabilisation unit?

Regards,
John

A damp, wet afternoon in Torquay
Old 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
what dealership did this for you? How did they aim the headlamps? I am in boston and need my retrofitted ML lights aimed but don't know where to take it. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 AM

2004 E500 4Matic
glojo, I assume the stabilization unit is the automatic leveling system, if so then yes it functions perfectly as the headlight assemblies arrived "plug and play" with all ballasts and motors and bulbs installed within the housing.

Al, the dealer is Chambers in Somerville. My service rep, Nathan, was familiar with the upgrade as he said he did it for a customer a few months ago. He even warned me of the exact price before the installation took place. To aim the headlights first they have to use the Star Diagnostic computer to force the auto-leveling motors into the neutral position, then they physically aim the headlights using a very expensive device made by Hella. At Chambers in the past I have had problems with their parts department, however their service and sales departments are excellent so I have to recommend them.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eddie
glojo, I assume the stabilization unit is the automatic leveling system, if so then yes it functions perfectly as the headlight assemblies arrived "plug and play" with all ballasts and motors and bulbs installed within the housing.
Thanks and indeed they are excellent lights.

Regards,
John
Old 10-21-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Good to know you have had happy results with Nathan too. ;-) He really is great.

EDIT: let us know how you resolve the LED resistor issue. It is a well known stumbling block.

Last edited by onpaws; 10-21-2004 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I have noticed that some people raise their beams by turning a couple screws. Is this possible with the Bi-X lights?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
I have noticed that some people raise their beams by turning a couple screws. Is this possible with the Bi-X lights?
There is, I cannot recall there location but if you do a search hopefully you will get all the information.

Perhaps this link might help
https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...ight=adjustment

Good luck,
John

Last edited by glojo; 10-21-2004 at 11:58 AM.