For experienced owners, I need help with airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 330Ci
For experienced owners, I need help with airmatic

Just how exactly does this airmatic technology work? I open the door and the car starts to either lower or raise itself, what's up with that? I have in fact had my embarrassing moment, where I noticed one evening, that the car appeared to have buried one of the rear tires as if the left rear suspension system actually collapsed. With the car being only 3 months old, like an insane person, I ran to my dealership yelling at anybody within sight, but upon inspection, it appeared to have normalized. I know I should have read my owner's manual, but it's a habit I have held on to for 20 years. So please educate me on how this thing work and what I should do or expect.

Most importantly, how can I improve the ride quality of the car (e500)? It feels unusually too bumpy. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kenechi
Just how exactly does this airmatic technology work? I open the door and the car starts to either lower or raise itself, what's up with that? I have in fact had my embarrassing moment, where I noticed one evening, that the car appeared to have buried one of the rear tires as if the left rear suspension system actually collapsed. With the car being only 3 months old, like an insane person, I ran to my dealership yelling at anybody within sight, but upon inspection, it appeared to have normalized. I know I should have read my owner's manual, but it's a habit I have held on to for 20 years. So please educate me on how this thing work and what I should do or expect.

Most importantly, how can I improve the ride quality of the car (e500)? It feels unusually too bumpy. Thanks for your help.
sense make all at no You
Old 10-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

02 330Ci
Originally Posted by miroj
sense make all at no You
Are you always a sad man? Why do you always engage in unprovoked insults and offences? I wish you peace!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Banned

Are you always a sad man? Why do you always engage in unprovoked insults and offences? I wish you peace!!!
Clueless at the outset and pointless at the onset.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Let's try to stay on topic here. In regards to the comfort issue, I'm assuming you already have the airmatic set to comfort? If so, then check the tires. Proper tire inflation will help a bit. But if you have a low profile tire (245/45R17?) then you might not be able to do much.

It might help if you tell us what your previous ride was. If it was a Lexus or something, then the E might not feel as luxurious.

I know it's long but read the manual. Another great resource is to read and search this forum frequently. The collective knowledge here is quite impressive. I'm still learning about this car and it's been 3 months since purchase.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Un-locking the door and opening it will indeed activate the airmatic suspension and other devices... Its kinda like owning a living animal. The suspension system seems to be always wanting to self level the car. When parked on a hill (front to back and side to side) the airmatic will try to compensate for the uneveness of the car, running or not. Sometimes when walking to the car after parking it on the street it can look a little funny sitting there if your looking at the wheel wells and the spacing between the tires and fenders as it will look uneven, but Looking at the car itself you will notice the "body" of the car is level. This is the way my car seems to be working and I have not had any problems with the airmatic and actually like it quite a bit. Hope this helps....
Old 10-23-2004, 01:56 PM

ML 320 CDI
I have found that it is constantly trying to level itself and as said you do get the car sitting funny sometimes. I have also found that at slow speeds it does seem to crash and bang a bit but on a motorway ( freeway ) it comes into its own, it's superb and just glides along. My car has 17"s and my dad's is identical but with 16"s and his rides better at low speeds.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:05 PM

2013 S550
I have in fact had my embarrassing moment, where I noticed one evening, that the car appeared to have buried one of the rear tires as if the left rear suspension system actually collapsed.
To the first point, I think you have an Airmatic failure. I had this on my first 2003 E500. They were not happy when I brought it in for the exchange (it happened 1 week before.) But the fender actually dropped about 3" below the tire surface on the Left Rear. They'll fix it under warranty.

For ride quality...that's subjective. But I think the suspension has the longest "throw" at the non-sport setting. Try that. (And drive slower on bumpy roads with passengers - when I'm by myself, I don't really care....)