E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Explain airmatic buttons please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 e320
Explain airmatic buttons please

Thanks in advance for your replies and Forgive me if this info is already out there but I cannot find it... or at least a clear concise explanation..
Airmatic control buttons.. e320
Can some please tell me what the buttons do on the airmatic. Please refer to the button number on the image shown. I believe its just 5-7 And and indicator light.

I have an e320 sitting low on the rear corner. No error lights come on when I start the car and it does not seem to want to lift. When I first attempted to jack the car up on the low side I heard the compressor kick in. The car in park, ignition off.. Really strange for such a thing to occur ignition off. A button in the wrong position?

Its the GF's car and was sitting in the garage when it decided to lower itself. Don't have the owners manual handy so I am totally clueless on this.

Now it appears both front and rear on left side are low.

It appears that the pump unit is hidden and that the front bumper cover has to come off to access the unit. From what I have read a decent diagnosis technique would be to get to the pump, detach the line and attempt to inflate with a shop compressor to check for leaks. Sound about right?

Another helpful bit would be a link to wiring diagram/fuse layout so I can check the obvious.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
the only switches that apply are 6 and 7
6 is the level adjustment switch

7 is the comfort and sport dampening adjustment switch

and i would say that you have a fault in the complicated system and you do not have the diagnostics and or the experience to properly satisfy your GF---suggest a dealer not a local hack
look online for a manual and or subscribe to MB WIS where you will find all the necessary repair docs to solve your GF problem---all else is a FUYAA
Old 08-02-2023, 10:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
the foxwell scanner i use lets me raise, lower, set everything down to the millimeter. you can also test individual components like the strut, each valve, and whether it holds pressure to the compressor, valve block really a nifty tool. hard to diagnose an electric strut over internet. also the scanner lets you fill, drain the air reservoir, or simply turn the compressor on or off to test for leaks. if there is a leak you will hear the hissing. also, these cars do squat after sitting for a while especially one with leaky bags which they all leak if original a little at least

Last edited by e350forme; 08-02-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:39 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
fleet
just remember this is a driving ancient computer, not a bagged mx5
it is not recommended to raise car with battery connected. airmatic does not like
just get familiar with where the main parts are.
usually requires lifting the car, supporting it, removing wheels, and then looking behind the plastic piece to get to the business end of the airmatic.
there are many different lines: no reason to blow air into anywhere really. its all on the computer end will tell you whats up. NT530 or nt520 mb version foxwell is only cheap one I have found or have experience with

Last edited by e350forme; 08-02-2023 at 10:42 AM.