E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is it possble to set-up a website with the 211's FAQ's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2004 | 09:41 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Is it possble to set-up a website with the 211's FAQ's?

I wonder if someone can create a website for all the "insider" stuff that we have discovered over the last several months. A lot of the newbies are asking the same questions that we have already discussed at least twice or ten times.

I am not complaining or anything and I am happy to help but it seems that we are dealing with the same questions. The 3-5-7 trick, what head unit plays mp3's and which don't. Which year has DVD capability. How to access the oil meter. How to change the oil. What method is best for changing oil. How to access the warp drive. You know, all the stuff that we already talked about.

Scorchie, what about you? Or anyone else who has a website and can serve our community and get some advertising? It could serve a dual purpose of bringing clients AND centralizing our collective intellegence.

If I knew how to set up a website, I would. Sadly, I am still deciphering my shoe laces....
Old 10-30-2004 | 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
How DO you access the warp drive?
Old 10-30-2004 | 11:32 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Talking

Access Warp Drive:

Drive to Dealer- File appropriate forms to order E55 AMG. Write check for Deposit... Wait Wait.. Wait Upon Vehicle arrival.. Write MUCH MUCH LARGER Check . Warp Drive accesable now.

Impluse POwer : Optional

Impluse Control : Litttle

(However you do it these baby's cost big bucks... lease, buy or steal...)
Old 10-30-2004 | 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan
I wonder if someone can create a website for all the "insider" stuff that we have discovered over the last several months. A lot of the newbies are asking the same questions that we have already discussed at least twice or ten times.

I am not complaining or anything and I am happy to help but it seems that we are dealing with the same questions. The 3-5-7 trick, what head unit plays mp3's and which don't. Which year has DVD capability. How to access the oil meter. How to change the oil. What method is best for changing oil. How to access the warp drive. You know, all the stuff that we already talked about.

Scorchie, what about you? Or anyone else who has a website and can serve our community and get some advertising? It could serve a dual purpose of bringing clients AND centralizing our collective intellegence.

If I knew how to set up a website, I would. Sadly, I am still deciphering my shoe laces....
A good idea. Why don't we ask the moderator to make a Tips & Trick thread sticky?
Old 10-31-2004 | 05:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
No doubt we can recall that I proposed something very similar a short while ago. The very constructive reponse that I received was that although the correct information can be given. This advice is ignored (namely the 3 - 5 - 7 coding) This then perhaps creates 'problems' on the author of the information. I can understand and sympathise with this argument, it is just frustrating to read the same repeated questions.

However this forum is all about the 211, so I suppose there are only so many questions that can be asked, and I for one am grateful that members have the patience to treat each enquiry with the respect that the author expects.

Good luck with the 'Sticky' request. (not the first time its been asked) (joke)

Regards to you all,
John
Still a misty morning in Torquay
Old 10-31-2004 | 04:06 PM

'05 e320
I think this is a great idea and in addition I would love to add in step by step and before and after pictures for many of the mods that we talk about on here. I figure there are a lot of topics that just get rehashed...

1) Bluetooth and new phones
2) Euro Comand and DVD in Motion
3) CDI comparisons and issues
4) Navigation subscription renewals
5) Extended warranties and service costs (for those who have '05s)
6) Xenon lights and active cornering retrofit questions
7) Radio issues (sat and non-sat)
8) Rims and wheels (lowering to 20", etc)
9) iPods and Aux inputs
10) Chip mods and other performance mods.
11) Butler service and cost of Tele-aid
12) Pricing and how much lower than Invoice you should be able to get the car for and from whom.

I've only been on for 2 months and I've already seen so many items come up over and over again. I agree with the previous poster that this banter is part of the charm of this board, but a permanent FAQ would also open up the board to folks who just got the car and may just want a lot of information quickly.

If you all are interested I'm happy to volunteer a place to host this webpage. I have a website and am happy to host it. If you want to just email me info I'll get it up. The sticky idea is a good one but we really need one sticky for each topic above... so a webpage is probably easier.

email me at w211@munjal.com
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
:p :p Good idea...but it won't work. Been here since about the start of the W211 forum and know that no one will look for previous posts on any subject.

If they get a new car, they just post the questions that come into mind. They have no idea that you can search on the MBForum...so can't think of why they would look somewhere else. :p

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2004 | 01:21 AM

newbabynewcar,

If you want to start a web page, then I will gladly help you with what I know. In fact, we can do it as a collective and get all our collective knowledge centralized. We can start with "definitive" threads that once sorted out, will be the correct knowledge for that problem.

You don't need permission to go ahead. If you want to do it, then do it. We can store the link and show the newbies where to go.

One caveat. We are talking about a web page, not a forum. If you create it and create a new forum along with it, then I will not participate.
Old 11-01-2004 | 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
If any of you (and definitely Spartan) decide you still need a place to host an FAQ, we will certainly host it on mbenznl.com ... but it will need dedication from someone (or a team of someones) to keep it updated. I've enough on my plate already and can't make changes fast enough... but I could upload FAQ content.

-s-
Old 11-01-2004 | 01:38 AM

'05 e320
Spartan - Done let's do it. On your other point I have not desire to create another forum... just a web page

Etenn - You are probably correct that folks will just post their questions without researching first, but at least now we can simply reply to one of these newbie threads with a link to the webpage.... and as they read the page they will find a host of questions and answers that they will probably find valuable.
Old 11-01-2004 | 10:15 AM

newbabynewcar,

Where to you propose to have this web page? Will it be a stable place? I hope it's not something like Geocities because you can not download pictures from it.

If Scorchie wants to host it, then we should have no problem with it either.

Scorcie, I am not that familiar with web hosting but from what I know, we will need password access to your site in order to downlaod info and pics. Are you comfortable with that? One hamfisted move and we could accidentaly do some damage. The other thing is WHO do you trust with a password?
Old 11-02-2004 | 01:05 AM

'05 e320
Spartan,

I'm open to it. However, let's explore a few options.

a) Weblog - Very easy to post (text and pictures). You can even post just by sending an email with a password. We can have a custom domain on this. The key will be foldering an organization.

b) Jotspot - a Wiki - where everyone can post and edit but the system always keeps a revision log so you can roll back with 1 click. A site called Wikipedia has built a 50K entry encyclopedia from thousands of volunteers this way. More importantly everyone owns it under the creative commons license. To edit you just surf to the "wiki" and hit edit button in the web browser - very easy also.

c)Scorchie's offer's but I'm not sure if we want to manage the HTML editing, etc

d) Setting up a seperate webserver.

I'll setup a and b and we can try it and make a final decision. I used to run a 200 person Internet company so I'm happy to play nerd :p
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:20 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
why not just have a sticky post where people add to the posts, but someone edits the top most post with the most current data? keep it all in one place.

then if scorchie or anyone else wants to put it on their website, at the bottom of the 1st post, have HTML links.

i just love having everything in one place.
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by newbabynewcar
b) Jotspot - a Wiki - where everyone can post and edit but the system always keeps a revision log so you can roll back with 1 click. A site called Wikipedia has built a 50K entry encyclopedia from thousands of volunteers this way. More importantly everyone owns it under the creative commons license. To edit you just surf to the "wiki" and hit edit button in the web browser - very easy also.
I think this is a very good alternative. Let us know when it's up and running.
Old 11-02-2004 | 10:49 AM

So we have:

1. Weblog

2. Scorchie

3. Jotspot

4. Webserver

5. Sticky thread in this forum.

6. A good **** forum where we can enjoy TWO favorite pastimes at once. :p

I am all into whatever is going to serve our community the best.

newbabynewcar, do you have links to 1 and 3? Just to see what it looks like?

gmdebruyn, that is good too but I think we have two problems. One is for the mods to respond to it. Second one is that you can not edit your post after a short while. If we can not edit what is written, how can we change it? And how do we make it current? The only way to edit it is you are a moderator. Will the mods edit the sticky threads as required or are they too busy?

BTW, I got the idea from another site. This is what their help site looks like.

http://bmw2002faq.com/
Old 11-02-2004 | 12:03 PM

Web site ideas

Here is what someone did for the Audi A6:

http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html

Here is a similar one for the Audi A8:

http://www.audipages.com
Old 11-02-2004 | 12:29 PM

'05 e320
I'll setup 1 and 3 late tonight and post it.