E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aimatic, ESP, ABS malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 03:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
2010 GLK
Ride leveling, ESP, ABS malfunction

I have an e350 wagon that is not used often (less than 80k total, maybe <1k miles in the last year).
I'm not certain how much of this is a coincidence but I'll list everything that has happened in the last few week:

- The motor mount failed casuing the front axle (passenger side) to rub against something. Motor mount and axle were replaced.
- a few weeks after the mount/axle were replaced it started getting the ride leveling malfunction symbol. The car height/ride seems fine. The symbol comes and goes.
- this week it's getting an ESP, ABS not operative and seems hard to steer (maybe that is due to some sort of limp mode).

All I have are the cheap readers which don't show any codes. I plan to take it to the dealer but I've had great experiences with this forum in finding a solution that either fix the problem or at least when I go to the dealer I can be a bit smarter.

I did try the steering wheel trick (all the way to the right then left) and removed the front wheel to look at the axle and rotor to see if a sensor wire might have been rubbed the wrong way but everything looks good. Since it started with the ride leveling error maybe I should look at the rear wheels since I have the standard suspension which is ride leveling shocks in the rear only (right?).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jroach; 10-01-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,150 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by jroach
I have an e350 wagon that is not used often (less than 80k total, maybe <1k miles in the last year).
I'm not certain how much of this is a coincidence but I'll list everything that has happened in the last few week:

- The motor mount failed casuing the front axle (passenger side) to rub against something. Motor mount and axle were replaced.
- a few weeks after the mount/axle were replaced it started getting the ride leveling malfunction symbol. The car height/ride seems fine. The symbol comes and goes.
- this week it's getting an ESP, ABS not operative and seems hard to steer (maybe that is due to some sort of limp mode).

All I have are the cheap readers which don't show any codes. I plan to take it to the dealer but I've had great experiences with this forum in finding a solution that either fix the problem or at least when I go to the dealer I can be a bit smarter.

I did try the steering wheel trick (all the way to the right then left) and removed the front wheel to look at the axle and rotor to see if a sensor wire might have been rubbed the wrong way but everything looks good. Since it started with the ride leveling error maybe I should look at the rear wheels since I have the standard suspension which is ride leveling shocks in the rear only (right?).

Thanks in advance.
Why not get the more advanced reader like the Autel AP200, that will read the codes causing your ESP problem. Under $50 now on Amazon, going to be much cheaper than going to the dealer.

None of them are probably related, but it's probably just an age thing. Steering wheel being hard to steer could also be a few things, power steering pump, steering rack, and a few esoteric things like the joint between the steering column and the rack or something to do with the electronic steering. There's also a filter that's part of the pump, could try changing that or changing out the power steering fluid using the turkey baster method. The scanner should give you more details about the self leveling.
The following users liked this post:
jroach (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
2010 GLK
@cetialpha5 good idea!
Old 10-05-2023, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 376 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I also recommend investing in a good reader if you are doing work on your own car(s). I invested in a second hand Autel MaxiPRO MP808-TS and it has already paid for itself for a number of things

https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ml#post8807097
Old 10-06-2023, 11:02 AM

Received 105 Likes on 92 Posts
2006 E280
What year is your car? Steering wheel turn from stop to stop works only on pre-facelift models. ABS/ESP and hard steering are/might be related, I had just front right magnetic ring that had failed. But, like already said, get a good scanner. Throwing parts just by guessing is waste of money.