E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2005 cdi low boost limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
Question 2005 cdi low boost limp mode

I have a 2005 e320 cdi. I’ve only had it for a few years and have been catching up on the maintenance and known trouble items. Now the vehicle is on reduced power and throwing a 2359-1 code for low boost pressure and goes into limp mode. It never throws the code during regular city or hard driving, only during steady highway cruise speeds… and even at that it not 100 percent of the time. Every now and then it will not throw the code and drives just fine. So maybe 90 percent of time it goes into limp mode after being on the highway for 5-10mins. The temperature or weather conditions do not seem to change this.

The vehicle has a larger intercooler, Mishimoto J line. The problem developed months after the intercooler was replaced.

Hybrid turbo with actuator, it was having this problem before the turbo was replaced. On throttle I can see the actuator arm moving.

New intercooler hose on the turbo side.

New MAP, IAT, & mass air flow sensors.

There is no EGR or Swirl flaps on this vehicle.

The conductor plate and converter solenoid have been replaced.

The vehicle has had a tune installed, by two different tuners, same problem either way. For reference it was running the first tune for months without an issue.

I have smoke tested the entire system, it’s a low psi test, there were no obvious leaks.

I Pressure tested to 30psi, no leaks that I could find.

I monitored the speed sensors before and as it went into limp mode, nothing appears out of the norm there. They all seem to be reading about the same.

I do not have STAR, but do have a basic scanner. It is not bidirectional, so have some limitations here.

I’m at a loss on what to check now. The scanner doesn’t show anything else out of the norm and I can’t seem find what else is wrong.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E 320 CDI
Swirl Flaps ???

Hello, I had the same problem several years ago. I found out that there are swirl flaps on the 320 CDIs. Basically I looked up youtube videos for the 2007 BlueTec cars which have lots more problems than our CDIs. The YouTube video showed me how the swirl flaps work. I got with my mechanic. He tore down the vehicle and found that there was a small steel pin on the swirl flaps which had sheered. The pin is about the size of a toothpick and manipulates the swirl flaps. He made a new pin, cleared then code and the car has run as normal since then. No more limp mode. I will add that the limp mode was virtually unnoticeable driving in town but was pronounced on the highway. Hope this helps. I'm not a mechanic but it was easy to see what the problem was once he tore down the assembly. Good luck.

Originally Posted by dtrader
I have a 2005 e320 cdi. I’ve only had it for a few years and have been catching up on the maintenance and known trouble items. Now the vehicle is on reduced power and throwing a 2359-1 code for low boost pressure and goes into limp mode. It never throws the code during regular city or hard driving, only during steady highway cruise speeds… and even at that it not 100 percent of the time. Every now and then it will not throw the code and drives just fine. So maybe 90 percent of time it goes into limp mode after being on the highway for 5-10mins. The temperature or weather conditions do not seem to change this.

The vehicle has a larger intercooler, Mishimoto J line. The problem developed months after the intercooler was replaced.

Hybrid turbo with actuator, it was having this problem before the turbo was replaced. On throttle I can see the actuator arm moving.

New intercooler hose on the turbo side.

New MAP, IAT, & mass air flow sensors.

There is no EGR or Swirl flaps on this vehicle.

The conductor plate and converter solenoid have been replaced.

The vehicle has had a tune installed, by two different tuners, same problem either way. For reference it was running the first tune for months without an issue.

I have smoke tested the entire system, it’s a low psi test, there were no obvious leaks.

I Pressure tested to 30psi, no leaks that I could find.

I monitored the speed sensors before and as it went into limp mode, nothing appears out of the norm there. They all seem to be reading about the same.

I do not have STAR, but do have a basic scanner. It is not bidirectional, so have some limitations here.

I’m at a loss on what to check now. The scanner doesn’t show anything else out of the norm and I can’t seem find what else is wrong.
Old 10-27-2023, 03:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 320E 7speed auto V6
Rem having the swirl flaps replaced on my 05 320 Cdi. Mine is the V6 3litre as it’s late 05. Garage said common failure point.IIRC they had jammed and the motor went.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
I had the same problem with my ‘05 CDI and it was the EGR valve.

But… you said you removed the EGR and the swirl flaps?

What do you suspect?

Peter