E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Impossible To Diagnose Engine Sound on 2006 E280CDI Engine Running and Climate ON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E280CDI
Angry Impossible To Diagnose Engine Sound on 2006 E280CDI Engine Running and Climate ON

My 2006 E280CDI makes this weird sound when the engine is running at idle and the climate is on ( A/C being ON or OFF does not impact ).
It is a heavy mechanical alternating sound.
The car has recently had it's accessory belt and roller changed, the power steering pump changed as well and the alternator was rebuilt entirely.
This sound is easily audible on the inside of the vehicle, much easier than the outside.
Another observation is that with the engine off, turning ON the climate does not reproduce the sound.
I will leave a youtube video of the car running and making this sound.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E280CDI
after listening again there are two sounds, a chirping sound that was present before and the bass-heavy knocking/clunking sound DUN-DUN DUN-DUN DUN-DUN. you can hear it separated from the air blowing noise and the chirping for a second when i turn off the climate ... could i be a fan ? i turn it off and the fan is no longer powered but it spins for a bit because of inertia thus making the sound possible to hear for 1-2 more seconds after i press off on the climate control panel ?