E350 (s211) '08 misfiring/not starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S211 E350 '08
Question E350 (s211) '08 misfiring/not starting

Hi all,

Since a bit more then half a year I'm the happy owner of a E350 from '08 (s211).
Car has the 3.5L V6 M272 engine.
But the last 2 monthts I've trying to solve some issues without any real succes.
Let me give you all a summary of what happend/what I've tried.
  1. It started with suddenly not starting.
    Car was parked for ~3 hours and would crank, try to pick-up, but couldn't.
    OBD said an p0335: crankshaft position sensor (CPS) error.
    Was about to call road service, until suddenly it started at basically my final try.
    Quickly drove home without any issues and got the CPS changed, also gave it a service with changing oil, new spark plugs & filters
  2. Car continued to incidently not start, especially when not fully cooled down.
    If it didn't start, I popped the hood, let it cool down for ~15 minutes and after a few tries it would start back up and run again without any issues.
    No new error codes appeared except one about the secondary air pump, but I've been told that that won't cause the no-start, so my focus for now is on the no-start issue.
    Got the CPS changed again to an genuine MB one, as I read about issues with after market ones.
  3. Issues maintained, still without any error codes and still mostly I feel when hot.
    After some investigation from the garage, he found out that there was no fuel coming through.
    The fuel pump relais was not fried yet, but looked bad.
    So both fuel pumps in the tank + relais replaced.
  4. Issues still maintained, although it sounds like the enigine doesn't want to take over from the starter at all, until it suddenly does and runs again.
    But since then I've had 2 times that the engine misfires. 1 time at starting and 1 time while driving.
    Luckely I was in town & managed to limp home. Next time starting no issues again, but a lot of error codes though finally!
    I've added a screenshot of the error codes.
What I do notice in those codes is that they're all around bank 2.
Either one of the cam shafts of bank 2 or cylinder 4,5,6 misfiring, which are all on bank 2.
So it seems that I should be focussing my attention around that bank.

Initially I was planning to measure my spark plugs & ignition coils, see if I can find any deviations.
I'm still gonna do that tomorrow, but as the misfiring is over 3 cylinders, I don't think 3 of my coils suddenly gone bad.
It feels like some issue around a part that services all 3 cylinders together.
It still starts occasionally, but I feel like it's getting less often.

Some side information, I'm a mechenical engineer, so I have a bit more knowledge about engines then "you put in fuel and it runs", but I'm definetly no car mechanic.
I have some basic tools like ratchets & screwdrivers with the correct bits & a multimeter, but that's about it.
I'm trying to investigate a bit myself, before going to the garage again, cause it's getting a bit expesive just trying something and see if it works :')

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to check/look out for or even better, what might be the issue here.
If you have question, need additonal info, please ask, I'll try to be as responsive as possible

Last edited by FritsBlaasbaard; 12-08-2023 at 09:34 AM.