722.6 Pilot Bushing Life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 11:35 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Arrow 722.6 Pilot Bushing Life

How often would it be necessary to replace the pilot bushing. When I replaced it (~120,000 mi.), now 205,000 mi.? I suppose I should have asked this before I just did a whole flush.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C-Class
Hi ot1, I hope this helps.The pilot bushing is not an item that typically requires frequent replacement as part of regular maintenance. It's designed to last a long time under normal driving conditions. However, its lifespan can vary based on driving habits, clutch use, and environmental factors.

Replacement intervals for the pilot bushing depend on several factors:
  1. Driving Conditions: Frequent stop-and-go driving or heavy use of the clutch may wear down the pilot bushing faster.
  2. Maintenance History: Regular clutch inspections and replacements could indicate if the pilot bushing needs attention.
  3. Environmental Factors: Extreme heat or contamination from dirt and debris could affect its lifespan.
Considering you replaced it around 120,000 miles and are now at 205,000 miles, it's possible that it might need replacement again, especially if you've experienced symptoms like clutch chatter, grinding, or noise during operation. However, without specific symptoms or issues related to the pilot bushing, it might not need replacement just yet.

If you're experiencing clutch-related issues or suspect problems with the pilot bushing, it's best to have a professional mechanic inspect it during your next clutch service or maintenance check. They can determine its condition and advise if replacement is necessary.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:22 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Vin_16
Hi ot1, I hope this helps.The pilot bushing is not an item that typically requires frequent replacement as part of regular maintenance. It's designed to last a long time under normal driving conditions. However, its lifespan can vary based on driving habits, clutch use, and environmental factors.

Replacement intervals for the pilot bushing depend on several factors:
  1. Driving Conditions: Frequent stop-and-go driving or heavy use of the clutch may wear down the pilot bushing faster.
  2. Maintenance History: Regular clutch inspections and replacements could indicate if the pilot bushing needs attention.
  3. Environmental Factors: Extreme heat or contamination from dirt and debris could affect its lifespan.
Considering you replaced it around 120,000 miles and are now at 205,000 miles, it's possible that it might need replacement again, especially if you've experienced symptoms like clutch chatter, grinding, or noise during operation. However, without specific symptoms or issues related to the pilot bushing, it might not need replacement just yet.

If you're experiencing clutch-related issues or suspect problems with the pilot bushing, it's best to have a professional mechanic inspect it during your next clutch service or maintenance check. They can determine its condition and advise if replacement is necessary.
the Pilot bushing on a 722.6 auto trans is not a bearing but an electrical connector that connects the solenoids to the TCM. Has Nothing to do with the clutch pack wearing. The original ones allowed trans fluid to capillary into the TCM and caused codes to register. Also I do my own trans services and all other maintenance so far.
Part number 2035400253.

Last edited by ot1; 12-15-2023 at 12:40 AM.