Total Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E500
Total Stereo Replacement

Hey guys,

Hate to rehash a topic that’s probably been beat but I am brand new to the Mercedes world and am being gifted a 2006 E500 sedan with the HK system. I am not new to dealing with the Harmon Kardon situation, as I went down this road with my current R53 Mini and learned the hard way.

So I understand that to replace the head unit and speakers it will involve splicing the head unit wiring (looking for that diagram if anyone has it) and rewiring the car (same as my Mini), but I am trying to better understand the Command system/any adverse things getting rid of the factory head unit would cause.
I am also trying to get an actual speaker count for the car to plan what I will need. As far as I understand it would be:

4x 6.5 inch (doors)
4x 1 inch tweeters (doors)
2x 3.5 inch surrounds (dash and trunk deck)
1x sub (I will be using one in the trunk)

Am I missing any? Currently the plan in mind would be a CarPlay touchscreen unit, two pairs of two or three way 6.5 inch components and a pair of 3.5 inch surrounds, my 12 inch powered sub, and an amp (6 channel?). Crutchfield has me slightly concerned about compatibility, etc without talking to one of their team yet. Not sure if depth is an issue etc.

Any info on the subject is much appreciated!

Last edited by Cagersguy55; 12-13-2023 at 11:13 PM.