E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

No PRND or C/S on instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E 350 4 matic w211
No PRND or C/S on instrument cluster

Hey everybody. 09 e350, no PRND on the instrument cluster, stuck in park, car will not turn over. It’s a big mystery to me what’s going on. I have ABS light when the ignition is turned on.
I also have an 08 E350. Runs great. But the 09 is being difficult. If it displays PNRD and C/S it will fire up. But i have only gotten this once. Car runs and drives great with no CEL or any lights whatsoever. But she is dead. No “P” and will not turn over.
ESL and EIS seem to function properly. I do get plenty of codes eis. Also SCM / MRM codes. Sam codes…the list goes on. Today I removed the shifter and took a look see at the module and put some heat to it with heat gun. All looked well. I have replaced the “distributors” the can bus “combs” by driver sill. Nope. I removed the front Sam and cleaned it really well. Mysteriously I got the “p” and she fired right up. Drove it all day on errands. No problems. Next morning was no “p” and no turn over no start. Always been stuck in park.
I bought the car non running to save her from part out. Clean car with about 100k on the clock. Well cared for car. I have had her about a month. Only cranked the one day, probably 10 times in a row. Next morning nothing again.
I was happy to see she ran great, better than my running 08. Shifted great. Great power. No lights on dash. Ran like a well oiled machine. But she is being stubborn. I get a lot of “engine can bus” codes. 15 r is implausible…eis implausible. Steering column module codes. But no codes when she starts and has the “P” in the instrument cluster.
Any help appreciated. I can take most of her apart with my eyes closed. ESL is dangling, afraid she may lock steering. EIS is back installed. I have repaired the ESL and EIS, cleaned and some solder. She ran fine since.
I was advised not to condemn the ECU, glad I listened. She ran properly for 1 day, ack to no “p” no turn over.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,082 Likes on 2,047 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
This is courtesy of ISM by the trany side. It's built with marginal connections. It just need soldering and lubing with high temp silicone grease.
The following users liked this post:
Damitd67 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E 350 4 matic w211
No “p” no start

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
This is courtesy of ISM by the trany side. It's built with marginal connections. It just need soldering and lubing with high temp silicone grease.

Thank you. I will check into this.