E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Retro-fitting power- and manual rear-sunshades- possible ? how expensive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Retro-fitting power- and manual rear-sunshades- possible ? how expensive?

Hi,

I just contacted my dealer and I was wondering why this guy was working for MB and if this jerk ever sold a car before. First, he wanted to tell me that the panorama-roof isn't available on the E-Class (he stated only available on the Coupe) and after I asked for retro-fitting the manual side-sunshades and the power-rear sunshade he said "we would have to cut a whole into the car so I wouldn't recommend that..." This guy should be fired immediately

But back to my question: Has anybody experience with this retro-fit and has anybody any idea how much a dealer would charge for it? I WANT BOTH: Panorama-roof AND the sunshades!!

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
My 1991 300E had one and I always used it and loved it! That is the only thing that this e320 4matic doesn't have that the old E did.

I am curious to know how much it would cost. If not the side shades, then at least the rear one alone. If anyone knows, I would also like to know

Steve Aguirre
Old 11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Side window sunshades are an accessory on the 2005's. Call the parts people at your dealership. I think they list for $148.

To see what they look like, go to www.mbusa.com and select Built Your Own. Pick the E320 and skip to the accessory page.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Unless they are like those roller ones with the suction cup you can buy at Target I would think they would be difficult to retrofit. Mine actually retract into the door through a slit on the sill. Also the rear sunshade retracts into a similar type of slit in the rear deck which I would imagine would be a difficult thing to install. This might just be one of those things that can't be done, or at least can't be done right.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
maybe they are $148 if they are factory insalled. Like it was said, these come out from the door molding. The rear shade is like a $500 dollar option when it comes from the factory. The question was if this is even possible to do after the fact. I am also thinking that it cannot be done.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:05 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Thanks,...

..I also found this "Accessory-blinds" for the rear-doors and the description shows that they would roll into the doors and "disappear" when not in use. Sounds to me like the description of the factory-installed ones. But the price? $148 seems very low.. .

I'm actually thinking about retro-fitting because those planning-idi*ts of Mercedes Benz have made it impossible to order the panorama-roof ALONG WITH those sunshades, but who wants a panorama-roof with naked rear-windows???? So according to the order-guide, forget about the panorama-roof if you want the sunshades. No wonder they have problems selling those options...

I wouldn't need a retro-fit if I could order an 80K-car with an option that most people really appreciate in the US

Right now I'm waiting for a call of the MB technical service and I'm really interested how they want to explain this bullsh***

You can have both on the E55 (what a surprise!) but I think requesting a power rear-sunshade is already too much for MB USA :v
Old 11-12-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Florida, Aren't you worried that the roof option will heat up your interior? I think that a screen covers the roof inside and that it doesn't block out all the sun.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:49 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Actually not, because the panorama roof comes with an electric shade that covers the whole glass-area. The only thing I would be worried about if I would order the pano is the idea that all other windows wouldn't be covered anymore - thanks to Mercedes intelligent option-policies. Ordering Pano-roof excludes both packages that include the other sunshades. Sunshades no stand-alone option any more! Well done, Mercedes..
Old 11-12-2004, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I lived in Florida for 14 years and I don't think that I would want the pano roof if it excludes the side and rear shades.

I loved the rear shade when I lived there!!!! I hate window tinting since it does tend to always peel off when some idiot attendant cleans it with the wrong cleaner. Then, when they remove the film from the rear window, the defogger is gone and in the W211 the FM antenna will be gone too. It just is not worth to tint if you keep cars for a long time since you probably will have to replace the tint at some point.

What part of Florida are all of you from? I last worked in Tampa (used Precision Motors). In college I didn't have a Benz. and before that, in Boca Raton, we used both the dealer on Okeechobee and Autohaus in Ft. L or Pompano.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:19 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
I'm living near Tampa, and your absolutely right: I will not order the pano-roof if I can't get the sunshades. But who can explain to me why those two items can't be ordered anymore TOGETHER?? Under these circumstances they won't sell more panorama-roofs and that's sad because it's something special on this car. I don't like tinting either. A simple sunroof with sunshades in the rear? I can also take a 5-series bimmer instead...and get distronic..and get Bluetooth..and get a rest-heat-function...and get Head-up-display..and get free maintenance..and don't pay more. Mercedes, you are heading the wrong direction...

Cancelling options won't be the road to success, the opposite is true....
Old 11-12-2004, 04:30 PM

none
I have the pano without the sunshades and it doesnt bother me at all. I think Id pass on on a 5 series just on looks on alone. The e is 100% better looking than the bmw. The new 5 looks like a Grand Am!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Gran Am or now the new G6 from Pontiac both look better than the 5 series. That is my opinion, but I am in the majory when I say that BMW has gone a bit crazy with the 5 and the 7. My uncle sold his old (nice 7) and actually bought a Lexus .

Steve
Old 11-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
You're right about the design compared to the BMWs, but actually, that's not the point. You might have a different oppinion about that, but I definitely DON'T SEE A REASON why Mercedes keeps on discontinuing their options AND services (maintenance program) while increasing their prices the sime time.

Customers should make their point very clear about that. If Mercedes continues like that, they might forget what have made them famous - definitely not what they are doing now. Even Mercedes won't keep this high level of success by delivering less and increasing their demands. Just a star on the hood and every customer is happy? Sorry, folks, but those times are over...

A customer will always compare what he gets for his money - and Mercedes has to be careful that it stays sufficient...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Sigh...

The rear power sunshade can be retrofitted. It's not that big of a deal, it's just expensive.

The side sunshades can be retrofitted. It's very easy, but it's just expensive.

The add-on side sunshades really aren't that bad, they just leave the roller exposed. They are specifically made for the W211 so design and usability is taken into account. For $150, they are quite a bargain. The rear manual sunshade isn't even THAT bad, and for the price it might be worth it. The problem is convenience for the rear sunshade... without power, it is incredibly inconvenient use.

For the record, I've retrofitted or helped retrofit power sunshades on W202, W208, W203, and maybe some other cars. I am in the process of retrofitting the side shades on my E55 (I have one only right now), but the delay is just because I am cheap.

-s-
Old 11-12-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by scorchie
Sigh...

The rear power sunshade can be retrofitted. It's not that big of a deal, it's just expensive.

The side sunshades can be retrofitted. It's very easy, but it's just expensive.

The add-on side sunshades really aren't that bad, they just leave the roller exposed. They are specifically made for the W211 so design and usability is taken into account. For $150, they are quite a bargain. The rear manual sunshade isn't even THAT bad, and for the price it might be worth it. The problem is convenience for the rear sunshade... without power, it is incredibly inconvenient use.

For the record, I've retrofitted or helped retrofit power sunshades on W202, W208, W203, and maybe some other cars. I am in the process of retrofitting the side shades on my E55 (I have one only right now), but the delay is just because I am cheap.

-s-
Thanks, that's very useful commentary. I have to say, I had no idea that it was a function of ordering the pano roof. I figured that E55 people would always be able to get such things, and that they were simply trying to mitigate cost and risk for the American CDI line.

I had written off the add-on shades, but I'll have to take a closer look now. A rear window retrofit would still be on my list (along with bluetooth, folding mirrors and non-yellow Parktronic impact strips) if someone cooks it up.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:46 PM

none
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
You're right about the design compared to the BMWs, but actually, that's not the point. You might have a different oppinion about that, but I definitely DON'T SEE A REASON why Mercedes keeps on discontinuing their options AND services (maintenance program) while increasing their prices the sime time.

Customers should make their point very clear about that. If Mercedes continues like that, they might forget what have made them famous - definitely not what they are doing now. Even Mercedes won't keep this high level of success by delivering less and increasing their demands. Just a star on the hood and every customer is happy? Sorry, folks, but those times are over...

A customer will always compare what he gets for his money - and Mercedes has to be careful that it stays sufficient...
Yes I agree with you on the options being deleted, after all Mercedes do cost more than BMW's and Jags etc... I am annoyed that they deleted the Rest feature on the Ac controller. But Id much rather wake up to me E than a 5 series ..
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
Thanks, that's very useful commentary. I have to say, I had no idea that it was a function of ordering the pano roof. I figured that E55 people would always be able to get such things, and that they were simply trying to mitigate cost and risk for the American CDI line.

I had written off the add-on shades, but I'll have to take a closer look now. A rear window retrofit would still be on my list (along with bluetooth, folding mirrors and non-yellow Parktronic impact strips) if someone cooks it up.
In the 2003 models, rear sunshade, pano roof, and side shades were all available or not. t-bone has rear power sunshade and pano solar roof, and side shades as well on his 2004 E55. Mine just had pano roof and rear power sunshade.

-s-
Old 11-13-2004, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The manual rear and side sunshades I mention are also mentioned earlier in this thread. To see them, go to mbusa.com and select an E-class sedan model. Then "build your own" and go to "3. Accessories". For the interior, there are side and rear manual sunshades, at $148 and $84 respectively.

-s-
Old 11-13-2004, 11:04 AM

2012 CL550
I purchased the after-market shades from MB. The side shades do not roll up or down. They attach at the bottom of the window to some small grommets that are pushed down into the door frame. The top of the shade has small clips that attach to the top of the door. The shades cover the entire window and are quite dark, in fact it is hard to see out of them when you look over your shoulder to change lanes, or when backing up.

The rear shade also does not roll up or down. It also fits into small plastic fittings that come with the shade. It covers more of the rear window than the original from the factory. Installing it isn't difficult, but you do have to physically get in your back seat and wrestle with it a little to get it in. It's one of those things that you'll either want to leave in fairly permanently or not. The fabric is not as dark as the ones for the side doors and it is easier to see through.

The pictures on the MBUSA website are not accurate. I'll take some pictures of them this weekend and post if anyone is interested in seeing the real thing. I think for the money they aren't bad. But I only install them if my car is going to be parked in the sun for an extended period of time or if I'm going on a fairly long drive.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:08 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
LOve mine- I was with a buddy who wanted one on his 03 e320 and they quoted $1200 USD
Old 11-13-2004, 11:10 AM

ISde rollers

By the way- I also faced the no side rollers with the Pano roof. I refused delivery (mine was a replacement car) until they figured a work around- They removed the rollers from my 03 and installed them on my 04 in the dealership.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Thank you, folks,..

Thank you very much, folks! Your comments are very helpful ! Scorchie, who really seems to be THE EXPERT , has mentioned before that they can be retro-fitted, it is just expensive.

My specific question would be: HOW expensive? What would a dealership charge me if I would get a retro for the power-sunshade and the door-integrated side-sunshades, just as included in the sunroof-package? I would order a fully-loaded E500 4matic and do you think my dealer would install them for an additional $2K or $3K ? The expression "expensive" can hardly be defined so I would really appreciate a dollar-amount (roughly) I'll face to have those shades installed just like those from the factory by a dealership.

Thank you once again AND in advance! :p
Old 11-13-2004, 04:40 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
That's really interesting, marksatex!
Do you recall if this price was for the rear-powershade or the side-sunshades? Was this price parts AND labor?
So you can actually confirm that a retro-fit by adealership is possible! That's simply awesome! Finally good news because I really want the panorama-roof and the sunshades!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:21 PM

FloridaE55- The $1200 Quote was to install the Power REAR shade. The side rollers were installed from my 03 I traded in when the 04 arrived. The door interior panels were switched in their entirity after I agreed the leather matched the rest of the car.

I never saw a price quote on this process. So it looks like I have the only E500 w/Pano- Appearance Package and side and rear roller shades. Kinda cool. But remember this swap was a result of my MB dealer messing up my 03, causing an accident.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:08 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Thank you, marksatex - that's good news! Now I have some kind of idea how much the power-shades will cost and even more important - I know for sure that the dealer can retro-fit the shade. If I got everything right, your dealer installed the factory manual side-sunshades from your former car into a car that came with standard doors. Great, that tells me that the dealer can perform this retro, too. Since your case was something special, I'm aware of the fact that I have to pay for that, too.

So if I go to my dealer, order the car with pano-roof and tell him I want the power-rear sunshade and manual side-sunshades retro-fitted by him and offer him $2K for that I should finally get what I want....just awesome..

Thank you once again, marksatex!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Retro-fitting power- and manual rear-sunshades- possible ? how expensive?