E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lumbar Support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
Lumbar Support

Is there a difference in the quality/quantity of lumbar support between an '05 Standard active ventilated versus a Drive Dynamic seat.
I'm not crazy about the bolsters inflating as I carve up the roads, but I love superior lower back support.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
You can adjust the level of lateral support you get and how fast the supports react and fill up with air.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:01 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I may be wrong about this but in the 05's, does the passenger have a lumbar support adjustment? I remember hearing last year that it was to be removed.. I know the 03's and 04's have a passenger lumbar support adjustment.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Unhappy

My E500 does not have a passenger lumbar adjustment, and the driver's adjustment is manual. Rather cheap for a $60,000 dollar luxury car, don't you agree?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:49 PM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
I agree. Pretty ridiculous for this level of car.
How adjustable is the manual support and how good does it feel on your back? In the downloaded manual for 2005, I cannot find even a mention of lumbar support, Driver's side or passenger's.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:48 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by vitaman
I'm not crazy about the bolsters inflating as I carve up the roads, but I love superior lower back support.
The drive dynamic function can be turned off, leaving the static adjustability of the multi-contour seats intact.

I agree with you. IMHO, the drive dynamic function badly muddles the feedback the car is trying to give you when driving at or near the limit. I do performance driving instruction, and I plan to ask any student whose car has this option to shut off drive dynamic for the duration of the school.

OTOH, the ability to statically tighten up the bolsters is a very useful thing, as it holds you in place under cornering loads. And the massage function and lumbar support adjustability are great - well worth the price of the "drive dynamic" package.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by khaug
I agree with you. IMHO, the drive dynamic function badly muddles the feedback the car is trying to give you when driving at or near the limit. I do performance driving instruction, and I plan to ask any student whose car has this option to shut off drive dynamic for the duration of the school.

OTOH, the ability to statically tighten up the bolsters is a very useful thing, as it holds you in place under cornering loads. And the massage function and lumbar support adjustability are great - well worth the price of the "drive dynamic" package.
I think I agree with the points you make!! The support given by the inflating bolsters is in my opinion designed for driver comfort and I believe that is the forte of the E-class. A comfortable 'executive type' saloon.

I assume that your 'performance driving instruction' is based around race tracks? Where a driver should be strapped firmly into his seat just as a safety measure. I cannot imagine driving a 5 litre car on a public highway 'at or near the limit' (going round a blind bend with the car on its limit of grip and finding someone crossing the road, broken down vehicle, mud on the road etc. etc.)

Many years ago I was an advanced driving instructor and we taught situational awareness and 'making progress'. (This is all about reading the road both ahead and being aware of potential hazards) This would not only improve a drivers skills, it would also make all journeys far more relaxing.

Regards,
John
A cold sunny morning in Torquay

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Everyone that rides in my car loves the Drive Dynamic seats. Says it makes them feel like the car is hugging them. My wife says it makes her feel like the car is actually doing something for her rather than just taking her from point A to point B.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC300, SL600
These are all interesting responses.

But can someone please help me? Where is the lumbar adjustment on the '08?

The manual says it has one, but I can't find it.

Could it be tucked in the trunk, or somewhere hidden like that?

Many thanks.