E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Wagon Cargo Cover Motors Operate but Tension Too Weak for Cover to Start Moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 4matic Wagon
W211 Wagon Cargo Cover Motors Operate but Tension Too Weak for Cover to Start Moving

The motors operate every time, but I have to bump or tap the cover to get it started, then it retracts and lifts. I think these covers not retracting is common, but it seems that's because one or both of the side motors and/or spiral gears (I think that's what they're called) aren't working properly. With mine, the motors and mechanisms work, but there's not enough tension in the roller mechanism that pulls the cover into the housing attached to the back of the rear seat to start the cover moving up the tracks. If I bump it in the direction of retraction (forward and up), then it retracts and lifts fully. I don't see any way to increase the tension of what I assume is some sort of spring mechanism iniside the housing the cover rolls up into. To supplement the tension so it will start moving, I've tried attaching elastic bands to the pegs on the cover that slip into the tracks on either side, and to an anchor point in the general direction of retraction, but nothing has worked. Does anyone have this issue and/or know if the cover roller retraction tension can be increased? It's a minor issue, but I'd love to get it working.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
have you done all the prescribed tests in MB DAS