E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

642 turbo leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2024 | 07:15 AM

2007 w211 e280 4matic
642 turbo leak

Hi, i have noticed a exaust leak from the turbo.
it looks like its coming from the entry of the actuatorarm. I have thought replacing the whole turbo but im wondering if there is a cheaper alternative, i had no luck finding partnumber nor someone else having the same problem.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1299.mov (9.53 MB, 13 views)
Old 04-16-2024 | 04:08 PM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 642problems
Hi, i have noticed a exaust leak from the turbo.
it looks like its coming from the entry of the actuatorarm. I have thought replacing the whole turbo but im wondering if there is a cheaper alternative, i had no luck finding partnumber nor someone else having the same problem.
I also have an OM642 and was recently trying to track down a potential exhaust leak. I found a similar leak on my turbo actuator but ultimately diagnosed my smell as oil leaking from the vacuum pump and burning on the exhaust manifold. I can't say for certain, but I'm wondering if a small leak from the actuator might be okay for a high mileage car. I had no visible soot in the area which further made me comfortable with leaving it for now. Here is a pic I took when troubleshooting mine.

Old 04-17-2024 | 12:14 AM

2007 w211 e280 4matic
Originally Posted by WaarrEagle
I also have an OM642 and was recently trying to track down a potential exhaust leak. I found a similar leak on my turbo actuator but ultimately diagnosed my smell as oil leaking from the vacuum pump and burning on the exhaust manifold. I can't say for certain, but I'm wondering if a small leak from the actuator might be okay for a high mileage car. I had no visible soot in the area which further made me comfortable with leaving it for now. Here is a pic I took when troubleshooting mine.
i have thought of leaving it until it starting squeealing when i reved the engine. Everyone can clearly hear that there is a leak and also i only have about 100hp because im loosing boostpressure so i need no fix somehow.
Old 04-17-2024 | 09:54 AM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 642problems
i have thought of leaving it until it starting squeealing when i reved the engine. Everyone can clearly hear that there is a leak and also i only have about 100hp because im loosing boostpressure so i need no fix somehow.
Mine makes no noise and no loss of power, so yours must be way worse. You may want to check other common leak points... the flex pipe behind the turbo being another that is in the same general area. Are you getting any codes? I am surprised a leak through the actuator could be that impactful to performance.