E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wood Trim Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood Trim Replacement

Just wanted to see if anyone can help me with a problem I have. I received my car in june and found that there was a chip in the center console wood trim. I asked them to have it replaced and they said ok... The mercedes benz dealership told me that it would take approx. 6-8 weeks for the wood trim to come... after many months of waiting the wood trim finally came but they said it was damaged so they had to order a new one... I waited some more and they finally got another one in... They installed it but the wood pattern was different and the color was slightly off... I asked them to order one that would match the rest of the wood trim in the car and they said ok... I went to the parts department myself to see if they actually were ordering the part among other parts that were supposed to be ordered. The guy said he found a part that matched the wood trim I in my car... I said great I looked at it and it did to the T... They later called me up while they were installing it and said it was made for a stick shift car not an automatic... They also told me that they could not order one that would match my wood trim... and i was stuck with the one I had... Before this problem they assured me that there would be no problem matching the wood trim... now there is a problem... but how could there be a problem if there was one made for a stick model and not an automatic model... that wood trim matched to the T... Looking for advice... I was just going to have them put the old one back on because I would rather have it match than not match... but is it ok to have a small chip in the wood trim... what to do?

Rol
Old 11-18-2004, 12:43 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
If a M-B dealership told me that any part wouldn't fit my W211 because it was for a manual transmission W211, I would run, not walk, out of there and find another dealership. Maybe the were trying to install a piece of wood trim for the SLK or C230 - which are, to my knowledge, the only M-Bs available with a manual transmission in the US. You are in the US, right? It helps to state your location.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 AM

Mercedes Benz
I have the same problem. There is a small chip on the passenger side door. Honestly you can't even see it unless I point it out. But because I'm **** about that sh_t, I pointed it out to my wife, who told me to just leave it alone. I'm glad I did after hearing about ur problem. best of luck
Old 11-18-2004, 01:57 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
It's wood.. It will never match unless they replace ALL of the pieces.

I have the black wood and a I put in a black wood sterring wheel after I got the car. It is lighter then the rest of the wood, but to me that is what is great about leather and wood.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:31 AM

Wood trim

Thanks for the replies... I am located in San Diego, California... I was thinking to have them just put the old one back on... the only reason I had it replaced it was because they said it could be replaced w/ no problems... Only until after they replaced it they told me there was a problem... My problem is, if it impossible to match the wood trim how did they get that one piece that does not fit my car to match my car... This piece matched exactly...
Old 11-18-2004, 10:05 AM

Mercedes Benz
that's what I'm saying....
Old 11-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
It's wood.. It will never match unless they replace ALL of the pieces.
Theoretically you're correct, however I had the cup holder cover (developed hairline crack) replaced and it matches perfectly, even when looking on an angle.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by ems211
My problem is, if it impossible to match the wood trim how did they get that one piece that does not fit my car to match my car... This piece matched exactly...
...because that piece of wood and the wood in your car were manufactured in the same period...colors and grains vary in time...it is WOOD, not artificial plastic with woodprint...

greetingz,
Old 11-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

e500 4matic
I Am Sorry To Hear About Cracking Wood On New W211's.
My Last Car Was A 95 C36 And The Most Annoying Point
Of Ownership Was The Wood Trim That Kept Cracking!
While Under Warrantee, It Was Always Replaced For Free,
But Each New Piece Did Not Match Existing Trim Pieces!!!
In The End, It Looked Terrible. Dealer Tried Their Best, But Only
Replacing Entire Set Would Cure Problem And That Route Would
Not Be Covered And I Had Too Many Good Pieces To Flip The Bill Myself.
Now The Kicker!!!!!!!
Ordered My 2004 E500 4matic With Appearance Group And Wood Wheel............when It Arrived.........no Wood Wheel.....dealer Assured Me It Would Be No Problem And They Would Install At Dealership.....ok, Right.............wrong...........match Was Horrible, Almost Like 2 Totally Different Types Of Wood. They Brought In 6 Wheels From All Over Country Until We Came Up With A Very Good Match ( Not Perfect) As Variuos Shades Of Gold Or Green Grain Appeared In The Black Maple ( Mine Has A Greyish Grain Which Looks Good With Charcoal Interior ) Dealership Couldnt Believe The Variations Out There And Only Hope They Dont See To Much Cracking Of Wood Trim As This Is Going To Be A Real Nightmare To Them As They Stated.
Final Word........a Real Life Lesson
Treat Your Trim Right!
Replacing It Isnt As Easy As You May Think!
Old 11-20-2004, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have a factory wood wheel... the wood is NOT the same color as the dash/console. Its really not possible to do a wood wheel & get a match. Its a good thing that the wheel & dash/console are so far apart. I was told that in my Cadillac they use a different species of wood on the dash & on the wheel. It seems that the dash wood was too soft to use on the steering wheel and stay free of knicks/scratches... so don't let it bother you that it didn't come with the car. It sure does feel nice & smooth in the hand, though and looks like a million!!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-20-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I have a factory wood wheel... It sure does feel nice & smooth in the hand, though and looks like a million!!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM

1987 560 sl
Wood trim

I would call Don Hannas at 407-515-3446 he works for LKQ Potomac German South in Orlando FL they are a European only recycle yard. DOn is great and he specializes in Mercedes he has helped me get a lot of parts for my 560 SL
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM

1987 560 sl
Mercedes Used parts

Call Don Hannas at LKQ Potomac German South they are a European recycle yard in Orlando FL 407-515-3446
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM

1987 560 sl
Like us on Facebook

If you like LKQ Potomac German South on facebook they will give you 10% off your order 407-515-3442 Adam or 407-515-3446 Don