E320: Canadian Winter & 4Matic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic
E320: Canadian Winter & 4Matic?

Hi,

In Canadian winter, E320 with RWD and snow tires is good enough or 4Matic makes a considerable difference when winter tires are installed? Suggestions please.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I do not know if you are in a part of Canada with mountains or not, but I had a RWD E for 13 years. It was good enough, but I was never calm (or confident) when driving is storms. I was constantly afraid of coming to a stop and then just spinning out in place. It was embarrassing to have to be pushed. At the time I only had ASR and good winter tires WITH STUDS (yes, they allow studs on tires here all year round). The car liked to fishtail a lot. I really became an expert on controlling the car.

Because of this lack of confidence I still ended up driving my Audi Quattro whenever I thought the weather would be bad. The MB was a safer car, but it also had a greater chance of getting into a wreck. As Murphy has it, I have always been in my 300E when the worst storms struck. I never was stuck for more than 20 minutes (I was lucky).

I just bought a new 4-Matic and I also bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (no more studs for me). I know how to control skids, but I prefer not to skid at all. So far this 4-Matic has been better than my expectations. So how much is peace of mind and safety worth to you? As long as I live in a climate where it ices up without warning, I will try to have either AWD or FWD. In other climates, I am totally OK with RWD (I like the characteristics of the RWD, just not in snow and ice).

Hope this helps,

Steve A
Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I live in Toronto area and Safety is my biggest concern on snowy and icy roads during winter here. I understand that nothing can replace the safety of all wheel drive. If you could please help, between FWD and RWD, which is a safer option in winter?

Appreciate your help,
Vivek
Old 11-19-2004, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Around here in Colorado AWD is the best FWD is the next best and RWD is the last. This is for ice and snow. If it is on dry driving conditions, I still think that AWD is best and then RWD. I am not a big fan of the feel of FWD cars.

Aside form the traction wheels, you should always have a car with ESP. This could make even a RWD car safer than a AWD car that does not have ESP.

Go for the 4 Matic, the only negative aspect of it is that it is a bit slower (not much). Other than that, the 4-Matic performs amazingly!

Steve A
Old 11-19-2004, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
FWD may give you better straight ahead traction but they are lousy when it comes to controlling your car. FWD cars have way too much understeer. They tend to plow when going around a corner and they won't stop as well as AWD or RWD.

Tires make the biggest difference. A manual transmission also gives you a big advantage.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Thanks for your replies. That makes me confident about my choice of going for an AWD instead of RWD.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you live in Toronto, I think you should get the 4Matic. Period. There is no comparison between AWD and FWD/RWD. If FWD or RWD is good enough, nobody would buy AWD. I've got an AWD Volvo in my family and it makes a BIG difference in the snow. Mind you, here in Vancouver we only snow 2 weeks a year and our so-called snow storm is mickey mouse to Toronto. In the snow, you are always looking for tractions, and what is a better solution than a car with 4 independent traction instead of 2?

The only thing that you need to know is the stopping/braking among AWD/RWD/FWD cars are the same. AWD mainly shines at accleration.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think that you are making a very good (safe) choice. Unless you want to drag race your car on straight tracks. AWD is a very good all around feature. In the fall, when there are wet leaves on the road, it gets very slippery. You would be amazed at how well the AWD works in these conditions! Also, if you are accelerating from a dead stop while turning, you can just flow the pedal and the car grips like mad. I have had a hard time getting the traction control/esp light to come on.

Steve

Also, about the FWD, I do agree about the negative characteristics. Also, on a FWD car, when you loose traction you also immediately loose steering! In spit of these negative issues, a FWD car pulls a bit better than a RWD car that has the engine in the front. Handling is different though.