E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

200K E500 S211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
200K E500 S211

I’m looking for a S211 E500 Green in Tan. Prefer it to be optioned out, but not necessary. I found one, 2004, in GA for $3,950 and things it’s missing are Xenon, wood steering wheel/shift knob, and Bluetooth (I know it wasn’t an option in ‘04). Other than that, nicely optioned including adaptive(?) and A/C seats, power lift gate, actual leather, etc. I live in VA. and while I’m a mechanic by trade, don’t have a lot of experience with the E500’s. Would this be worth looking at? It’s at a fly-by-night dealer and I haven’t contacted them yet or done a Carfax. Just trying to figure out if it might be worth it.

We have an ‘06 S211 E350 4MATIC that’s been great and currently has 210k on it. I did the balance shaft at 128K, which is how we needed up with it as the PO didn’t want to pay to do the job.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2024, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 271 Likes on 250 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
...Would you happen yo have any pics? As the 'ol saying goes " Nothing is worst than buying someone else problem". Ask the seller if they would allow you to get a PPI, if they decline walk away! If they say sure get one done, and atleast you'll have piece of mind. Please keep us intuned. Stay safe
R,
2Merks
Old 07-22-2024, 03:55 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Here’s the link:

https://www.carsforsale.com/used-car...tails/94448840

I it looks like the rear suspension needs new air springs, or at least something back there is leaking.

Let me know what y’all think.

Old 07-22-2024, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Documentation of maintenancerecords! If they have it ask for it! It will save you on the long run.
I have viewed the pics, and kinda hard to make a judgement on paint/cleanless of car. The steerling wheel has a wrap, and that tells me the OEM is/could be tatterd, and/or dirty. The driver side door is a few cuffmarks and carpet needs a deep cleaning. Has been on the market for awhile so that works in your favor.
Tell tell sign is under that hood...Engine cover missing/broken pieces, clean/dirty engine bay.
You have to ask yourself "Why is dealer dropping price?" My guess is to move out of inventory to whoever is willing to buy it. As I stated before ask for a PPI, and go from there...That will tell you everthing about seller mood and motivation. GL
R
2Merks
Old 07-22-2024, 05:13 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Yeah, I noticed a lot of that as well. It looks like the clear coat on the front of the hood is STARTING to peel, but hard to tell. I’ve thought about a PDI, but don’t want to go that route until I decide if I’m serious. I think I’m just getting antsy and need to slow down as I’m realizing the color combo I want isn’t as hard to find as I originally thought. I just figured if I could get some other opinions on the car and whether or not it COULD be worth it. I can get parts wholesale and I have access to a shop/lift, so doing the work is not an issue, hence why I focus more on the aesthetics being good and not as worried about the mechanical issues.

I’m also looking at an ‘07 E350 on an auction site with the color combo I want and 83,000 miles, I believe. I’m sure it’ll go for way over want I want to pay, but I’ll lurk anyway.
Old 07-22-2024, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Zaffer
Yeah, I noticed a lot of that as well. It looks like the clear coat on the front of the hood is STARTING to peel, but hard to tell. I’ve thought about a PDI, but don’t want to go that route until I decide if I’m serious. I think I’m just getting antsy and need to slow down as I’m realizing the color combo I want isn’t as hard to find as I originally thought. I just figured if I could get some other opinions on the car and whether or not it COULD be worth it. I can get parts wholesale and I have access to a shop/lift, so doing the work is not an issue, hence why I focus more on the aesthetics being good and not as worried about the mechanical issues.

I’m also looking at an ‘07 E350 on an auction site with the color combo I want and 83,000 miles, I believe. I’m sure it’ll go for way over want I want to pay, but I’ll lurk anyway.
Nothing wrong with being antsy...We all have been it that seat heck when i got my ride i was bugging the PO everyday, and he was kool. He give me the ride to drive home from about 5 days thats when i got my PPI done, and everything check out fine. Emotions will break you down you get attached and your frame of mind will not allow "reasonable" thoughts to make sound decisions. Time and patience will always be your guide in the end 'cuase at the end of the day if someone else get the ride it wasnt "meant to be yours". GL
R,
2Merks
Old 07-22-2024, 06:21 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
That’s how I’m trying to see it, of course I do have a car problem 😂. I’m basically juggling whether I want a newer E350 4MATIC or an older E500, S211 regardless. I like the idea of the V8, but also like the lack of as many potential issues with the newer S211’s, but either is not a deal breaker. I think it basically comes down to whichever I find first and with the options I want. It’ll be tough, but I’ll hopefully be able to hold out!

Thanks for the info and advice!
Old 07-23-2024, 08:37 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
I just did a search for an import/MB shop near Eastman, GA and the closest one is 40 miles away. There are very few shops in Eastman and I doubt any well versed enough to perform a thorough PPI on a S211. I’ll attempt to talk to the dealer today and get some answers.

I looked up engines for the E500 and I can get a 108k engine for around $680. I believe the transmission is around $350. So, from a mileage standpoint, not an issue as these engines are easy to swap out. It is tempting…..
Old 07-23-2024, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 E320; 2012 SLK 350; 1973 MGB MK III roadster.
100% agreed with 2MERCS.

I wouldn't consider purchasing one of these cars without very good service documentation. It's pure gold.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 04:06 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Link to Carfax: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BFM...nR8RpwljK/view

Car spent most of its life on the Eastern Shore of VA, then to SC, then GA. No service history in Carfax, and I doubt the dealer has any. The dealer has had it for sale since November!
Old 07-24-2024, 09:32 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
So the decision has been made to go look at the car and see what it’s all about. I’m mainly going because it has the dynamic seats and the color combo I want, plus my wife got excited when I told her the seats have a massage function😂 and she’s already named the car Jeeves.

I’m going down on Friday (theoretically), so we’ll see…..
Old 07-24-2024, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
So the decision has been made to go look at the car and see what it’s all about. I’m mainly going because it has the dynamic seats and the color combo I want, plus my wife got excited when I told her the seats have a massage function😂 and she’s already named the car Jeeves.

I’m going down on Friday (theoretically), so we’ll see…..
I wish you nothing but the best! Things I would do.
Take a scanner, check out batteries( Aux in engine, and main in trunk). Check for broken/loose tabs, check sunroof, boot for functional spare tire. Listen for odd sounds, check IC for malfunctions. Take a cardboard and slide under engine on ground, start car and let it run to temp, and see if any leaks on cardboard, but remember the w211 has bellies that catches oil drops. Lastly, If it don't feel right, "It aint going to get any better" nothings wrong with walking away. Good Luck
R,
2Merks
Old 07-25-2024, 06:28 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
I have an Autel diagnostic scanner I’m taking as well as a jack/stands, and flashlight. Good advice on the cardboard and what to check. My plan is to look at everything and take my time with it. They’re having a locksmith make a key for it today (allegedly) as they can’t find the key currently🙄. I’m already putting in my head that walking away is okay.

There’s another one in PA that’s in better cosmetic condition by the photos, but not as well appointed for around the same money and also not the color combo I really want, though still pretty (blue on tan) that I will use as negotiating leverage.

In your honest opinion, what should market value for this car be based on what you see and know of the one in GA? I know it’s hard to do, just curious.

Thanks!

Last edited by Zaffer; 07-25-2024 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
I have an Autel diagnostic scanner I’m taking as well as a jack/stands, and flashlight. Good advice on the cardboard and what to check. My plan is to look at everything and take my time with it. They’re having a locksmith make a key for it today (allegedly) as they can’t find the key currently🙄. I’m already putting in my head that walking away is okay.

There’s another one in PA that’s in better cosmetic condition by the photos, but not as well appointed for around the same money and also not the color combo I really want, though still pretty (blue on tan) that I will use as negotiating leverage.

In your honest opinion, what should market value for this car be based on what you see and know of the one in GA? I know it’s hard to do, just curious.

Thanks!
Your ahead of the game which is good. Are you paying key if you decide to buy? I do think the has to coded (atleast mine did from dealer). $$$ to donuts they find the key lol. Link the PA car to assess so other member can chime in and help you out.
My humble opinion on car in GA $2-$2.5K definitely not what dealership is asking!
Some like a well optioned ride, but most would care for ride that has paperwork, and maintenance records. Example, You need a root canal, would you perfer a flashy DDS fresh out of dental school, or a DDS that has a track record credentials on his wall, and well proven? You have to decide whats best for you! Good luck.
R,
2Merks
Old 07-25-2024, 10:24 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
I was thinking the $2.5 - 3K mark, so not much difference. I’m definitely not planning on paying asking, and the car has been there since late November, so that should give me some negotiating room, plus whatever I find as I go through it with a fine-toothed comb. I can do all of the work myself and I’d rather have the option rather than try to retrofit the option. Xenon isn’t too bad to retrofit, if I decide to go that route.

My wife likes the optioned seats as she will use the car some for her work and we’ll also use it for longer trips, so the dynamic seats will be nice to have. The color combo is what we’re mainly focusing on. I usually do not focus on creature comforts that are optioned, but in this case it plays a heavier hand.

Link to the one in PA:

Facebook Post

The headliner has been replaced with generic material, but it has been replaced. I like this color combo as well, but the green wins out between the two.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Link not shown...
Old 07-25-2024, 11:15 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Facebook Post
i

https://www.facebook.com/share/ouSZf3DUJKYo8xcp/?mibextid=79Poli

Let’s see if this works! For some reason the link won’t post so I wrote it out. You’ll have to copy and paste it.

Last edited by Zaffer; 07-25-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:52 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
There is one in northern VA, but not really optioned. Low miles (122,000) but it’s a NY car. The one in PA is a NY and PA car, so rust is my main concern with them. I tried posting the link, but it came back as NLA, which it is.

Last edited by Zaffer; 07-25-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:56 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
UPDATE: Finally got some answers on the car and they said they still didn’t have a key and were going to take the post down until they had one. I asked them how much without a key, made an offer, and magically the manager found an extra key 😂.

I’m planning to look at it tomorrow as I won’t make it there today before they close (9 hour drive). Not too bad as my in-laws, whom we are going to visit anyway, are 3 hours towards the car and my route takes us right by them anyway! So, I’m dropping the fam off, spending an hour or two visiting, then heading in down to GA! We’ll see what happens!
Old 07-26-2024, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
See thread #14 about the key (jelly filled will do lol) I told you that would occur! Drive safe, and stay safe!
R
2Merks
Old 07-28-2024, 07:37 AM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Autel Maxysis. I bought the car yesterday for $2,400. Got there and the car wouldn’t start, possibly failed fuel pump. Would start and run on brake clean. No smoke on startup and engine sounded good. Suspension has a leak somewhere, but it’s slow and the rear air bags are new. Fronts were replaced in 2021. Needs some love and cosmetic work, but I think it’ll be worth it, to me anyway.

I didn’t post yesterday as I left at 4:00 am and got back around 8:45 pm, drove 1,000 miles. I was tired.

Old 07-28-2024, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Congrats on your new ride!! Plenty of threads on airmatic fixes, and fluids changes. Ensure you change ALL fluids from oil to wiper, and good clean in/out, and you'll be just fine. Again, congrats.
R,
2Merks
Old 07-28-2024, 05:12 PM

2006 E350 4MATIC Wagon
Thanks, that’s the plan! I’ll even change out the turn signal fluid (most people forget that one!)😂.

It’ll get a good cleaning everywhere and a thorough list of what it needs. The rear end is still standing after 18 hours, so the leak is at least slow and I’m not sure how long it was sitting at the dealer for without being started.

As for the fuel pumps, just checked and it’s a plastic tank 👍

I have a running list on my phone, and I’m sure it’ll get longer!

Last edited by Zaffer; 07-28-2024 at 05:22 PM.