E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission Limping, P0730 Code, and Odd Whine (includes audio!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Limping, P0730 Code, and Odd Whine (includes audio!)

The other day on the highway I noticed shifting was odd and engine revs were high. Once I got off the highway at a stop I couldn't then get the transmission to re-engage to go forward until I turned the car on and off. I was able to limp it to a parking lot but in the process there were a couple times I had to rev the engine very high to get the transmission to kick in to move the car.

Couple hours later I limped the car home but it didn’t seem like it could really shift and I couldn’t get above 25mph or so. A check engine light came on and it is P0730. It’s really not drivable and sounds rough. I noticed an odd whine and recorded it:

Its a 2008 E350 with 140k miles. Does it sound like it’s totally shot or maybe a transmission fluid change or something could sort it out? If it needs much more than that I’m not sure if it’s financially worth it
Old 07-31-2024, 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,051 Likes on 972 Posts
1999 E300TD
forget all the bstube data as the 730 is an obd fault that indicates there is a transmission issue bla bla ------now what you need is less bs and or someone with MB DAS to diagnose the transmission for faults as anything else is more bstube with no results
Old 08-06-2024, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an update to this, I was curious if the transmission fluid was low for whatever reason. So I opened the drain pan bolt but plenty of fluid came out. As long as the 722.9 transmission pan little chimney was still in place I wouldn't have expected much to come out.

I had a liter of Shell ATF 134 on hand so I removed about 1L of the old fluid (it was quite brown) and replaced it with the new fluid. After I did this the transmission seemed fine amazingly enough, it was shifting ok and the whine went away... for about 5 miles. Then the whine came back and the shifting is real rough/off again. But it can at least shift and get it above 25 mph now. Hoping a more complete transmission fluid change might sort it out.