E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does anyone have panorama & parktronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have panorama & parktronic?

I am in the process of retrofitting OEM parktronic into my panorama equipped car. If someone can supply me with a photo of the rear sensor, I would appreciate it. I also need to have a measurement from the rear edge of the headliner to the center of the display (I need to know where to cut).
Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I have both Parktronic and Panorama Roof, but I cannot supply you with a picture. (Not sure how the rear sensor is different on a PR car than one with regular roof, though.)

On the display, the headliner has a recess in it where the hole for the display is cut. That would be more accurate to use than any measurement.

-s-
Old 11-24-2004, 05:18 PM

Scorchie: Thanks for the reply. I can't see the recess unless I pull off the headliner (I can't feel it either). I was trying to keep it simple by measuring and cutting from the bottom.

With the panorama, the EPC calls for a plastic spacer/clip the display snaps into. I was hoping to see a picture to verify if this is the case.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by levind
Scorchie: Thanks for the reply. I can't see the recess unless I pull off the headliner (I can't feel it either). I was trying to keep it simple by measuring and cutting from the bottom.

With the panorama, the EPC calls for a plastic spacer/clip the display snaps into. I was hoping to see a picture to verify if this is the case.
Ah, you wrote "sensor" which is in the bumper... you meant "display". Got it. Let me go look.

Yes, there's a spacer at the base of the display. To keep the back of the display from poking up too high, I imagine. But it looks the same as the display fitted to the non-PR car I am looking at, as well. Maybe the non-PR cars use it as well? My EPC is traveling around Chicago right now so I can't take a look.

I highly recommend removing the headliner to do the install. Otherwise, you may crease it, or when cutting the hole, one slip could cause other problems.

If you have a good relationship with your dealership, you can ask them for WIS document AZ54.65-P-0001-05T which details installation of the display itself. The overview of the whole backup aid system is covered in document AZ54.65-P-0001T, which references numerous other documents for the steps (you should try to get all of them, or at least ones for areas you may have trouble). There aren't document covering retrofit of Parktronic because MB only supports retrofit of the backup portion, which by itself is not Parktronic.

Ah, further searching uncovered document AR68.30-P-4300-04T, which outlines preparing a headliner for PTS display in a PR car. It mentions something about a new installation frame, but this is used for both PR and Sunroof cars.

-s-
Old 11-24-2004, 06:02 PM

Thank you Scorchie! The only reason I ask, is that the new cars at the factory had no plastic spacer (none were PR). The EPC also lists a metal bracket (instead of the plastic spacer) which allows the display to mount flush to the headliner.

Cutting the hole in the headliner for the rear display is hard enough......next I need to figure how to cut the dash for the front display!!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by levind
Thank you Scorchie! The only reason I ask, is that the new cars at the factory had no plastic spacer (none were PR). The EPC also lists a metal bracket (instead of the plastic spacer) which allows the display to mount flush to the headliner.

Cutting the hole in the headliner for the rear display is hard enough......next I need to figure how to cut the dash for the front display!!
I think I wrote you about that... we don't cut the dash. But a new dash is only about $500... might be worth the expense, and you can probably recover some of your expense by selling your old dash to a local body shop that probably has use for it.

-s-