E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 E63 (DAS) Driver Authorization System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2024 | 07:38 PM

07' E63
W211 E63 (DAS) Driver Authorization System

I am waist deep into my Stereo Install which was sprung into action as a result of my EVAP leaking AC. I’ve dropped the Steering Tube, removed the dashboard/seats/floors/door panels and have cut out both sides and the bottom of the Windshield. My plan was to remove the Headliner first before cutting out the Top Edge of the Windshield, however I have found there is a bracket of some sort holding up the Headliner. So I thought I’d simply connect DAS/Xentry to the Connection Port (now hanging from the Harness since the Driver Side Under panel was removed) in order to retract the Sunroof, however I can’t even get the Key into the EIS Control Unit (where the Key goes into!)

Since I removed both the NAV/CD Player and Radio and connected MOST Loop Connectors to each, I ended up having to reconnect the Radio since it’s a different MOST Connecter than those of the NAV/CD.

The WIS states that the purpose of the DI is to release the engine for starting after the transmitter key (A8/1) is identified by data exchange between (A8/1, EIS ControlUnit (N73) and the ME/SFI Control Unit (N3/10) or CDI Control Unit (N3/9). This encrypted Data Exchange takes place over an infrared line b/n (A8/1) and (N73). It goes on to specify what happens at Position “0”, “1” & “2” but I can’t even get to “0” as it won’t even allow for the Key (A8/1) to insert into the EIS Control Unit (N73)?

I am now wondering if I have to connect the whole Dashboard etc to reconnect all connections on the Harness, or if I am just missing something rather basic?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by E63007; 09-07-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2024 | 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If all of this is to open the sunroof, just use a 4mm hex T-handle wrench to crank the sunroof open. You have to pull the plastic cover over the light bulb off on the driver's side (W210 ) and assuming left-hand drive.
Edit: the w211 socket is under the metal mesh cover between the buttons on the overhead control panel. Look under "Emergency operations" in the owner's manual index.

You can see the T-handle wrench in the photo below of my "just in case" parts box I carry in my car.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 09-08-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:22 PM

07' E63
Yeah, since I have gutted the interior to “Sound/Heat Treat” for the Stereo etc., that upper Panel and Rear View Mirror are removed as well. I only left the “SOS” switch connected!

I went ahead and connected the “Steering Electrical Connections” as the “EIS” reads from both the “Key & the Steering” before giving “OK” to Position “0” (ie-allowing Key Entry to EIS). I was glad to finally get the Key In, however, neither was I able to get to Position 1 (nor 2, required for DAS/Xentry to Boot), so because I was successful with Key Entry, I thought I’d disconnect the battery before connecting the A/C, Instrument Panel, Gas Pedal, Radio again in an effort to get to Position “1 then 2”, but alas, this too failed!

I’m not sure, but I’m hopeful that it may have something to do with the fact that I also have the MAP Sensors disco’d as well as the A/C &Heat Exchanger Firewall Connections. But in the recesses of my mind hangs the horrible thought that I may have made some kind of error when attempting to connect the STAR/Xentry shortly after reinstalling the EVAP & Air Handler whereby I might have not had the Radio Connected (as I had already connected the Optical Fiber Loop Bypass connectors to NAV&CD Player and had a 3rd exact similar OFLB that didn’t fit due to the Radio having 3 of 4 additional leads in its connector) when I last was able to get Key In to Position “2”, however when that last happened, even though power got to the DAS/Xentry, it wasn’t able to “Connect”. I remember because I was attempting to “Test” the A/C Air Handler before having reattached the Frame! It was the next time attempting to “Connect” again, when I experienced the Key not being accepted! I must admit, it freaks me out to think I may have “bricked” the system by not having all the MOST bypassed before Connecting to DAS/Xentry! Would that mean I would have to get it towed to Mercedes to get something “SCN” Coded? I also was of the understanding that I could go into DAS/Xentry to “Cancel out” any MOST Connections after disconnecting those items? Could that have been the fatal error, if there was one?

Last edited by E63007; 09-14-2024 at 02:28 PM.