E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Reason I bought a 4 Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Reason I bought a 4 Matic

We got a bit of snow in the last few days . . . I drove 120 miles in constant snow and crap weather. I have never driven a car that performed better. After this little trip, I took advantage to test the car in the neighborhood. The two links are to the two videos of me screwing around in about 6-8 inches of snow that is on top of a nice ice layer. I did not use a video camera, since I did not want even bigger files.

I had the ESP button off, but I could still feel it kick in once I skidded enough. I will turn the ESP completely off (dyno mode) when I get to a bigger parking lot :-). I will also do some of my other great tricks, once I get used to this car. If you live in an area where it can get like this, you really need to know how your car reacts and what the ESP, ABS and the 4 ETS do when they activate. You don't want to learn when you are in a bad situation! Also, every car is different, so just because you know one, it does not mean you know the other. O, it is also a lot of fun

These are clean AVI files, they are about 5 MB, so don't open them/download them if you have a slow connection.

Also, I know I only have one of the carrier bars on the roof, I went to put them on last Wednesday and I was missing a screw to attach the back one :-(, so I am riding along with only one cross bar until I get the part this week.

http://steveag.home.comcast.net/Snowvideo2.AVI

http://steveag.home.comcast.net/Snowvideo3.AVI

Tell me what you think??

Steve A.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Tell me what you think??
I’m thinking, glad I’m in Scottsdale!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
Looks like fun! Neat video! Thanks...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
We got a bit of snow in the last few days . . . I drove 120 miles in constant snow and crap weather. I have never driven a car that performed better. After this little trip, I took advantage to test the car in the neighborhood. The two links are to the two videos of me screwing around in about 6-8 inches of snow that is on top of a nice ice layer. I did not use a video camera, since I did not want even bigger files.
?

Steve A.
Very nice! Thanks. We'll be getting snow soon and I've been wondering how the 4Matic will perform. Do you have snow tires?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by HotWheels500
Very nice! Thanks. We'll be getting snow soon and I've been wondering how the 4Matic will perform. Do you have snow tires?

Yes, I have Bridgestone Blizzaks WS 50s, they are really sticky! I was very surprised how hard I had to push the car to do the skidding it did.

Also, I have the snows on another set of rims. They were from the tire rack, they are the Mille Miglia. I also found a metal stamped MB logo to epoxy to the center car of the rims so that they look like original MBs. They really look much better now.

I will be posting pictures and the source for this procedure.

You are most welcome,

Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amazing. It was obvious to see how hard you were pushing the car and produced only some mild skidding.
Please post pictures of your car and wheels soon.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Lol for a second there, I thought SAguirre had installed a new "UFO" mod...
silly VLC
Attached Thumbnails Reason I bought a 4 Matic-eclasssnow.jpg  
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
how come theres only 1 cross bar on your roof?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
how come theres only 1 cross bar on your roof?
Also, I know I only have one of the carrier bars on the roof, I went to put them on last Wednesday and I was missing a screw to attach the back one :-(, so I am riding along with only one cross bar until I get the part this week.

UPDATE! The dealer delivered the screw yesterday. Now I have both bars and the ski rack on!!

STeve
Old 12-01-2004, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by onpaws
Lol for a second there, I thought SAguirre had installed a new "UFO" mod...
silly VLC
O yeaaaa, I got the UFO mod. That was extra

What did you do to the frame??

Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Two firsts,
First time I've seen a video of a white 211, and the first time I have seen a 4Matic.

Lucky you have black tyres otherwise it would be difficult to find in a car park

In the last 30 years we have NEVER had snow that settled for over 12 hours. My children are going to be envious when they see all that snow.

Thanks for the video,
John
Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
Two firsts,
First time I've seen a video of a white 211, and the first time I have seen a 4Matic.

Lucky you have black tyres otherwise it would be difficult to find in a car park

In the last 30 years we have NEVER had snow that settled for over 12 hours. My children are going to be envious when they see all that snow.

Thanks for the video,
John
Thanks John,

I have a thing for white cars! White cars a a bit more popular in the US and in Asia, so I hear. This is my third MB that is white (Even the one I had when I lived in Germany was white!). I also had a white VW Super Beetle. Your joke about finding the car has a bit of truth to it. I used the "PANIC" button to find where the car is after a big snowfall. But that does not happen too often. What you saw in the video fell within 20 hours and still onthe ground in the form of ice.

I love the snow, but that might be because after 14 years in Florida I was cured of hot weather! I am surprised, however, that you have not seen 4-matics. In 1991, we almost got the 300E as a 4-matic. As it turned out, it was a good thing that we did not since that model tended to be a lemon. This 4-matic is much much much improved! As you can also see, it is very good on slippery surfaces. Now if CDIs were available in 4-matic I would immediately order another white one! :-)

I have a trailer hitch on my Audi and I used to get towed on the snow behind it! O, the good old days when I was really stupid J.

Steven Aguirre
Old 12-01-2004, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks John,
I am surprised, however, that you have not seen 4-matics. In 1991, we almost got the 300E as a 4-matic.
Hi Steve,
I have done a fair bit of searching and have not found a single country that has the 4Matic in RHD form. I have been told there is a slight 'bulge' on the transmission tunnel in your front seat passenger footwell? If this is the case that might be the reason why the vehicle is not made in RHD format as that bulge would be on the drivers side and it 'might' present problems.

Suprisingly enough there are a number of manufacturers that suppy four wheel drive vehicles to the UK market. Audi, Volvo, the Asian performance vehicles and of course our 4 x 4 Range Rover type SUV 'things' They are mostly a status type symbol and very rarely used for the purpose they are designed for.

Bye for now,
John
Old 12-01-2004, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,
I have done a fair bit of searching and have not found a single country that has the 4Matic in RHD form. I have been told there is a slight 'bulge' on the transmission tunnel in your front seat passenger footwell? If this is the case that might be the reason why the vehicle is not made in RHD format as that bulge would be on the drivers side and it 'might' present problems.

Suprisingly enough there are a number of manufacturers that suppy four wheel drive vehicles to the UK market. Audi, Volvo, the Asian performance vehicles and of course our 4 x 4 Range Rover type SUV 'things' They are mostly a status type symbol and very rarely used for the purpose they are designed for.

Bye for now,
John
Yes, there is a bulge on the passenger side (LHD)of the transmission tunnel, but it is around the area of the shifter, on the floor. I will look again, but I don't think that it goes all the way to the very front of the foot well. That is the spot where the transfer case is. If you want I can post a picture of it.

When I ordered the winter mats, the person behind the counter did not know about this (they were new on the job). There is a different part number for the mats since they are a bit narrower in spots.

SUVs are the thing over here, but that is all you see in the ditches when it snows. A MB 4 matic is a totally different animal in the snow compared to a RWD Mercedes. I have had Audi Quattros for years and an all-wheel-drive car is hard to beat! Even in dry pavement they can accelerate and turn very nicely. Well worth the money to me! Most MBs here in Colorado are 4Matic.

Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
O yeaaaa, I got the UFO mod. That was extra

What did you do to the frame??

Steve
Haha I guess VLC accidently swapped the Blue and Red colors =)
Old 12-01-2004, 11:30 PM

2004 E500
I agree 100%, my E500 4matic outperformed the volvo xc90 on the 2 inches of slushy snow we had on thanksgiving day. I was realy impressed.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,

Bye for now,
John
Here are some pics of the 4 Matic hump. I guess it is bigger than I thought, but I never see it. I rarely am a passenger in my car. :-) Can you say: control freak?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Reason I bought a 4 Matic-4-matic-hump.jpg   Reason I bought a 4 Matic-complete-dash.jpg  
Old 12-03-2004, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post the pictures. I agree with your pm and am also of the opinion that the bulge would indeed impose upon the 'foot' area.

It looks like the left foot would rest quite close to, or directly under where the footbrake would be located?

Thanks again,
John
A cold, clear morning in Torquay
Old 12-13-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Steve, how do you like the 4matic system vs. Audi's quattro?

I've heard the best AWD systems currently are Acura's SH-AWD, MB's 4matic, and Nissan/Infiniti's ATTESA (sp?). A surprise to me, considering I always thought Volvo's Haldex and Audi's quattro/VW's 4motion were supposed to be the best.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Steve, how do you like the 4matic system vs. Audi's quattro?

I've heard the best AWD systems currently are Acura's SH-AWD, MB's 4matic, and Nissan/Infiniti's ATTESA (sp?). A surprise to me, considering I always thought Volvo's Haldex and Audi's quattro/VW's 4motion were supposed to be the best.
The Audi that I still own is AWD all the time and then has locking differentials that makes it a true 4x4. It is great as long as you don't have to turn ! My family has never meant to keep this car this long and then I bought it for almost nothing 6 years ago (since my 300E left a lot to be desired when I went to the mountain in the snow) and the darn thing is till going very strong at 262,000 miles! The 5 cylinder engine just won't die! I have had recent model Audi's and if you look at the car that is parked in the garage in one of the previous pictures on this thread I have posted you will see an Acura MDX. Though I think that the Acura system you are talking about is in the sedan. (The one that says that it helps the car turn better by sending more power to the outside rear wheel or something like that.) The only car I have absolutely no experience driving is the new Volvo. The latest Volvo anyone in my family has had was the old 1986 240 wagon that my brother just sold about 2 years ago with 300K miles on it. Needles to say, this Volvo has nothing in common with these new cars.

So to answer your question; I personally find the 4 Matic to be the smoothest, least noticeable and best performer. The newer Audi's and the VW 4 Motion tends to spin out quite a bit before the traction control system kicks in and sends the power to another wheel (much like a Subaru) but much better than the MDX.
The Acura MDX just spins the crap out of the rear wheels!! Without snow tires the car can not make it up an icy hill that I need to get up to get to my house (this is with the Michelin OEM tires on it). With the good winter stud-less tires it does much better, but the rear wheels get way to much power and the car likes to fishtail just like my old 300E. The only difference is that the MDX still moves forward since the front wheels are also pulling. Pressing the 4 VTM button (which locks the differentials on the Acura) makes it just as good as my 1986 Audi. But the Acura has great ground clearance.

The 4 Matic, makes it up the same icy hills even with my Conti tires! Now that is a feat! Also, there is almost no wheel spin before the system engages the traction control. It is seamless and a great performer. Compared to the early 90s 4 Matics this one is light-years ahead.

The only other cars that are comparable to the MB are the X series BMWs. Yes, I have driven a few of those just for fun (friends have them). The BMWs system is much improved over their older version on the 3 series which were a true disaster. Audi was always much better.

So not counting the Volvo (due to lack of personal experience) I, so far, find the 4 Matic (which is the same system as the ML and the G, but without Low Range) to be the best I have driven. I must also mention that I have driven a lot of SUVs and a lot of AWD cars. I do have a lot of personal experience to draw on. The BMW system comes in even, or right bellow, with the Mercedes (I have to say "right below" the Mercedes because I do prefer the Mercedes, but BMWs are very good cars too!).

I hope this explains my point of view. O, last week I drove a 1998 Ford Exploder for about 100 miles!! I can not believe how that SUV drives (I don't mean this in a good way). I was suddenly reminded why I love German cars. Even my 1986 Audi is ten times the driving machine that Ford is, and except for the ground clearance I'll take the Exploder on any day in snow! (This is not meant to offend all of you Ford loving people out there)

Steve A