E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

About leather seats.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
About leather seats.

I went to thge dealer today to complain about my ash (light gray) seats picking up the dye from my jeans and black dye from my wifes leather coat.

The tecnical rep of Mercedes showed up and apparently I am not the only one who is complaining. He is also driving an E and he told me that the problem stems from a new coating that they put on the leather. It was not a problem before.

I don't know if this "new" coating is for 2005's or before that.

Anyway.....

He had me buy Mercedes "solution" for leather care. Maquires Leather Conditioner. Of course I will look for better products then that. He also told me that if I had to do this every month then I should come back and complain about it and they will change my seats.

I wonder.....

Did anybody test this new coating before they placed it in production? Would it not make sense that the first thing it should be tested is dye transfer from clothing everyone in the world wears??

Maybe I'm wrong..........

Last edited by Spartan; 12-01-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:28 AM

A Car
that sucks to hear, but you're only solution for now seems to be to use the leather conditioner.....if it does get worse, you probably would have to switch out the seats then
Old 12-02-2004, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spartan
He had me buy Mercedes "solution" for leather care. Maquires Leather Conditioner.
I found the Meguiars a little to "thick". It will fill the ventilation holes. Try Zaino, thin and effective. The smell is a little strong, but will disappear within a day or two
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
What about trying "Leatherique"? Check out the detail forum on this product.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by Oslo
I found the Meguiars a little to "thick". It will fill the ventilation holes. Try Zaino, thin and effective. The smell is a little strong, but will disappear within a day or two
I have the Merc "Maguires" cleaner and never used it and also have ventilated seats.

This Zaino product, don't they just make exterior car products?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by atssystems.com
I have the Merc "Maguires" cleaner and never used it and also have ventilated seats.

This Zaino product, don't they just make exterior car products?
Zaino Leather in a Bottle

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino
Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Originally Posted by Spartan
I went to thge dealer today to complain about my ash (light gray) seats picking up the dye from my jeans and black dye from my wifes leather coat.

The tecnical rep of Mercedes showed up and apparently I am not the only one who is complaining. He is also driving an E and he told me that the problem stems from a new coating that they put on the leather. It was not a problem before.

I don't know if this "new" coating is for 2005's or before that.

Anyway.....

He had me buy Mercedes "solution" for leather care. Maquires Leather Conditioner. Of course I will look for better products then that. He also told me that if I had to do this every month then I should come back and complain about it and they will change my seats.

I wonder.....

Did anybody test this new coating before they placed it in production? Would it not make sense that the first thing it should be tested is dye transfer from clothing everyone in the world wears??

Maybe I'm wrong..........
the problem is Mercedes is using a cheaper quality leather.
You cant get the dye out, you can however make it less noticable. On my Denali I used the Zanio leather cleaner and Lexol leather cleaner with a small brush after 5 cleanings its hardly noticable.
On my E I have sat on a towel since day one...
Dye transfering to the seats is a problem with a lot of other automakers too.
On my 93, 96 S class, and my 97 e class I never had a dye transfer problem . All of those vehicles had light colored interiors too...
Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Blue Denim dye transfers to almost everything it come in contact with daily. You have to wash those new jeans many times before they go into a light seat regularly.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Something is wrong with this picture:

You go to the dealer to complain. The dealer admits they have a fault.

Their solution:
They make you pay for a bottle of low grade snake oil and have you do the work to apply it.

Next time, demand satisfaction and keep your wallet in your pocket.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
I have started noticing it on my seats. I guess I will have to start sitting on a towel when wearing jeans from now on. Bummer!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
BWL

I have had my E-class since August 2003 and have the same problem with denim jeans and dye transfer to the leather. I find that using Leatherique cleaning solution does a good job of getting rid of the blue dye (ash color goes back to original).

The bottom line is that I don't think this problem is related to using different/cheaper leather in newer models.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:36 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Originally Posted by psh1959
Something is wrong with this picture:

You go to the dealer to complain. The dealer admits they have a fault.

Their solution:
They make you pay for a bottle of low grade snake oil and have you do the work to apply it.

Next time, demand satisfaction and keep your wallet in your pocket.
Could not agree more. I had a 2000 S430 beige on java and never had a problem. Switch out the seats if they offer.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BWL
The bottom line is that I don't think this problem is related to using different/cheaper leather in newer models.
Then it must be related to MB using different/cheaper leather since 2003. I've never heard of or seen leather stain from clothes. I have 15 year old leather sofas at home that are rarely cleaned without such a problem. But then, that is leather. I'm not sure what this is that MB calls leather.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I better be careful, because I have 2004 E500 w/ash leather. So from now on, I am going to wear nothing while I am driving. I'll just use a towel to cover my lap. When I get to my place of work, I'll then put my jeans on.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
^too bad you're not a chick

I learned my lesson on my first car. Now I only buy the dark interior leather. No problems.

I agree with Oslo, FWIW, I love Zaino's Z-10!! I use it every coupla months. Makes my whole car smell new again, IMHO.

YMMV,

EDJ