E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problems of Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E-200K W211; MB E-220 W124
Unhappy Problems of Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211

Being an ardent admirer of the three-beam star, and a lucky owner of a Mercedes, I was looking forward to the renovation in the model line. And the inevitable occurred! The new model saw the light. I was one of the first to purchase in December 2002 the long-awaited Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Avantgarde integration, engine E-200 Kompressor from an official representative of Mercedes-Benz Daimler Chrysler. The exterior of the vehicle proved to be outstanding and beautiful, not blatant - true representative class. I was one of the first owners of the model in my city, and I was beyond myself with pride. Other auto owners looked at it with envy and interest at the same time. Some of them would come up to me and ask about novelties, engineering solutions, and general impressions.
But the future brought the problems I had neither wanted nor expected from a Mercedes. Below you will find a short list of deficiencies, which arouse in the process of exploitation. I must also mention that although the car was bought in December 2002, I kept it for three months in the garage in perfect conditions. The automobile was put into use in March 2003.
July 18, 2003
Run - 2584 km.
First visit to the service station.
In the early morning I left my home, got into my car and tried to start it, but nothing of the sort! The engine wouldn't start. I turned off the ignition system; and after the second attempt I achieved the desired result. The engine started working, but not without fault, I could feel strong vibration. The engine constantly knocked. Since it was impossible to run the automobile in that condition, I had to address the service station of the regional Mercedes-Benz dealer.
The diagnostics revealed breakage of the oxygen lambda particle sensor till the catalyst.
Result: recommendation to replace the lambda particle sensor.
August 8, 2003.
Run - 3661 km.
Second visit to the service station.
The engine started working irregularly again, it conked.
The diagnostics revealed breakage of the oxygen lambda particle sensor.
Result: the lambda particle sensor had to be replaced.
August 14, 2003
Run: 3984 km.
Third visit to the service station.
In accordance with the previous diagnostics results and recommendations the oxygen lambda particle sensor was replaced.
September 23, 2003
Run: 6683 km.
Fourth visit to the service station.
Noise and substantial rattle in the front suspension, the vehicle became unstable on the road. Oil spots began to appear occasionally under the car. I had to address the service station of the regional Mercedes-Benz dealer again.
The diagnostics revealed: trailing arms of the front axle failed. (This kind of breakage usually happens after 100000 km. run).
Result: the failed arms were replaced.

October 13, 2003.
Run: 7959 km.
Fifth visit to the service station.
Again I could hear strong noise in front and from the rear of the vehicle in motion. I had to address the service station of the regional Mercedes-Benz dealer.
The diagnostics revealed: shock-absorbers had broken down.
Result: two front and two rear shock-absorbers were replaced. Also two shock-absorber bearers were replaced. (This kind of breakage usually happens after 150000 km. run).
November 14, 2003
Run: 11369 km.
Sixth visit to the service station.
The audio system and the mobile phone turned off spontaneously. When the audio system was on, I could hear outside noise and din.
The diagnostics revealed electronic error of AGW, malfunction of the mobile phone support.
Result: recommendation to replace the AGW control unit and the mobile phone console.
December 1, 2003
Run: 12151 km.
Seventh visit to the service station.
Lubricant leakage at the center of the left wheel.
The diagnostics revealed: leakage at the center of the left front wheel.
Result: the leakage was eliminated; the bearing of the left center was pulled tight.
December 24, 2003
Run: 13743 km.
Eighth visit to the service station.
2374 km. after the vehicle inspection another case of disrepair revealed. The display panel constantly showed the message, accompanied by sound signal, informing that the level of oil in the engine was too high.
The diagnostics revealed: the level of oil was normal; it was electronic error. The reason of the malfunction was the faultiness of the oil level sensor.
Result: recommendation to replace the oil level sensor. In accordance with the previous diagnostics and the replacement recommendation the amplifier (AGW control board) and the mobile phone console were replaced.
January 10, 2004
Run: 14192 km.
Ninth visit to the service station.
Noise and strong squeak when braking.
The diagnostics revealed: Noise and strong squeak in the front axle when braking.
Result: brake pads were reinstalled, but the noise and squeaking remained. In accordance with the previous diagnostics and recommendations the oil level sensor was replaced.
January 21, 2004
Run: 14680 km.
Tenth visit to the service station.
I started having problems when using the mobile phone: it turned off spontaneously, sometimes it would not turn on. From time to time the mobile phone system would stop functioning, and the automobile did not recognize the telephone.
The diagnostics revealed soft fault. The CTEL mobile phone control unit went out of order periodically.
Result: recommendation to replace the CTEL mobile phone control unit.
But this was not the end. You can find further description of the problems I had here:http://www.auto-master.com.ua/eng/merc_e.html
http://www.auto-master.com.ua/eng/merc_e.html I supply documents to prove all my words.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Sorry to hear of your problems.... All though it's really cool to be the first on the block to own something totally new and beautiful as the "E", Your problems (and many others reported here) are the exact reasons why I don't buy first year products, especially cars.... I'm not saying all cars built in the first year of production are lemons, I'm saying the cars usually show design flaws as there used and thus changes made in later built models.... Yes, better testing of new inovations would be in the best interest of MB, but not all senarios can be duplicated in real life ownership.... Now on the other hand my car has been near perfect and I have no complaints.... Good luck in getting your bugs worked out or the purchase of your next ride.

Oh. B.T.W.... No proof of your words needed here, I believe you. There has been many other simular complaints here about the "E".... Especially the very early produced one's.

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 12-04-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 AM

A Car
oh my god, thats horrible.....what do you plan to do with the car then? still keep it?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 AM

Frankly speaking, not sure yet.
there seems to be no hope of getting it replaced, as you could see from my letters; and we do not have lemon laws here (in Ukraine); and I am not ready to accept "trade-in" yet. kind of waiting for the warranty to expire (
Old 12-06-2004, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Merc_owner
Frankly speaking, not sure yet.
there seems to be no hope of getting it replaced, as you could see from my letters; and we do not have lemon laws here (in Ukraine); and I am not ready to accept "trade-in" yet. kind of waiting for the warranty to expire (
Hi Merc_owner,
I have read some of your correspondence with Mercedes-Benz and to say that the problems you have suffered are unacceptable, would be like describing a hurricane as a strong wind!! You have certainly not exaggerated your claim and your request appears perfectly reasonable.

I am in awe of your education and your linguistic skills, but I wonder if this has been detrimental to your individual case?? I say this with the greatest of respect and admiration. When you wrote your letter you nailed your colours to the yard-arm and perhaps forced Mercedes-Benz to seek expert advice???

In my experience the Customer relations staff at Mercedes-Benz have a lot of power and discretion in dealing with customer complaints (Director level) but when dealing with lawyers or similar type letters, they pass these on to their own legal department who perhaps ‘might’ deal with a case in perhaps a more formal fashion and they will comply with every dot and comma of any legal agreement or contract we sign when purchasing the vehicle from the dealer.

Like your country we do not have ‘Lemon Laws’ hence another member from the UK who is perhaps in a similar situation to yourself?? Once both sides have dug in the situation gets ‘awkward’, and sadly I am of the opinion that the only way you are going to win is to try and get publicity. At present I am not convinced the Internet is the best medium for the publicity that would get the attention of Mercedes-Benz??? In my opinion it would need a very popular consumer or motoring television program to take an active interest in the E-class and it’s well documented problems. Motoring magazines or maybe national newspapers might also work??

I wish you the greatest of luck with your quest and please keep us informed of your progress,

Regards,
John
A cloudy cool overcast morning in Torquay
Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have been thinking about my post, and still believe that the Internet might not be the best form of attack, but.......

How did we hear of your case????

I believe the person you are now dealing with considers your case as a personal challenge and they will NOT back down.

Imagine though if one particular office in Germany received letters (definitely NOT e-mails) from numerous countries worldwide. Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, Italy, Spain, Norway, England, Scotland and America???? All stating their dissatisfaction about the way they treat dissatisfied customers and how they are revising their decisions about buying another Mercedes-Benz!!!

Just a thought,
John
Old 12-06-2004, 07:39 AM

E200 Kompressor (sold 2008), BMW 7 series (2009), now waiting for the E63
Good GOD. After reading Merc_Owner's lamentations, I am supremely humbled by my "it-only-has-squeaky-seats-&-a-broken-air-conditioning" E200K.

Which, might I add, is being fixed even as I type this... thank you God, thank you God...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wobbles
Good GOD. After reading Merc_Owner's lamentations, I am supremely humbled by my "it-only-has-squeaky-seats-&-a-broken-air-conditioning" E200K.

Which, might I add, is being fixed even as I type this... thank you God, thank you God...
Hi Wobbles,
I wonder who I was thinking of when I mentioned Singapore???

Merc-Owner's experience certainly puts anyone elses complaints into perspective.

Regards,
John
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 AM

Hi, Glojo!
Thank you so much for reading all that huge post of mine and taking your time to answer it! You know, this really means a lot for me. I've almost lost any hope of getting reimbursed in any way for the frustration, loss of time and inconvenience I've had and going to have. And my main aim now is to let as many people as possible know about my case; and be more cautious when selecting a vehicle.
I started with Internet because, one may agree, it is the first medium for the publicity that comes to mind and easiest to access. Although the Russian net is not that full of information of this kind, unlike the English.
By the way, some of my acquaintances, MB-owners, have similar problems, but I have not yet heard of a single case in Ukraine when a MB was replaced.
p.s. thanks for your kind compliments!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Merc_owner
I have not yet heard of a single case in Ukraine when a MB was replaced.
p.s. thanks for your kind compliments!
Sadly the kind words should NOT be coming from us, they should instead be coming from Mercedes-Benz!! I understand MB saying your complaint is with the dealer, but if the dealer is not listening then the badge on the vehicle is Mercedes-Benz.

How do you stand under your own countries trading laws?? I suppose Mercedes-Benz are confident they are acting within your countries law?

Good luck,
John