6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Uncomfortable seats??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
Took me a while to get the seat adjusted (coming out of a W210). Now I have 2 settings on the memory seat that work fine for me but it took several months of fine tuning. My wife has memory setting #2 which I hit every once in a while by mistake...painful! since she is 5'4" and loves the wheel in her lap.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Judging by the responses, I find a lot of truth to the saying "you can please everybody." However, it looks as if both seats on the W211 come close to pleasing most everyone. In general, all the Mercedes Benzes that I've had and have ridden in (and that is a huge number) have had very good seats.

I always tell the US car driver's who sit on my seats and say "these are hard" that Germans make you sit ON the seats, not IN the seats. Soft seats seem nice, but after a while they are very uncomfortable! The worst seats I have ever ridden in were in a older Peugeot 304 (I think that was the number).

I like the MB seats a lot!

Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
I love Mercedes' seats, especially the upgraded ones. The leather is so soft and you can really feel the difference. I tested out quite a few models and my butt could really tell the difference between the real leather and the standard ones. I also like the multi-contour settings, got used to having it in my CLK.

My gripe is with the angle of the accelerator pedal. For some reason after driving a while I get a cramp in my achilles tendon. I might just need to do some more fine tuning of my seat position but I had this same problem in my CLK.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 PM

2003 E-500
I've been very happy with the seats in both of my 2003 E-500's and on two occasions have driven as far as 1150 miles in 18 hours and felt OK. I have never done this in any other car and felt as good. My earlier 1997 E-320 was not nearly as comfortable and had a wider tunnel which made my right foot cramp on long rides. I wrote up this fault as did others and perhaps the article may be referring to the poor design on this earlier model. I specifically checked the comfort of my right foot in the new W-211 prior to purchase, and have not been disappointed. It would appear by the poll so far, that most other owners feel the same.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Double Eagle
It would appear by the poll so far, that most other owners feel the same.
Hi Double Eagle,
It certainly looks an overwhelming 'Yes' vote. I note your comments about the footwell, but hopefully we have had replies from owners with these 'early' models.

Have a nice day,

John
A cool very misty morning in Torquay
Old 12-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I just noticed today as I drove in to work that I really don't like the headrests. All other Benzes that I've owned or rode in always had headrests that tilted forward at the top as opposed to the bottom. This new design really cramped up my neck this morning.

Am I the only one who thinks this is an issue?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
I just noticed today as I drove in to work that I really don't like the headrests. All other Benzes that I've owned or rode in always had headrests that tilted forward at the top as opposed to the bottom. This new design really cramped up my neck this morning.

I noticed the same thing, but this design is better if avoiding whiplash is the goal. Of course, in order for them to work correctly they should be at the correct height, but what is better to protect you from whiplash is not necessarily the most comfortable to lean against while driving. If you can't get it to mold against the back of your neck, then there is a chance that your seat back is reclined too far. Again, comfort and safety don't always go together.

Steve
Old 12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah

You actually use the headrest while your driving???? I find this a very restrictive style of driving. I find I can't look around and drive as saftely as when I have my head in an upright position.
I always thought the headrest was more of a saftey device rather than a driving tool. Now on the other hand, I use it quite often when sitting in my car (waiting for mama in the store)..... With the seat moved back and reclined I find the head rest quite comfortable.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I noticed the same thing, but this design is better if avoiding whiplash is the goal. Of course, in order for them to work correctly they should be at the correct height, but what is better to protect you from whiplash is not necessarily the most comfortable to lean against while driving. If you can't get it to mold against the back of your neck, then there is a chance that your seat back is reclined too far. Again, comfort and safety don't always go together.

Steve
I figured it must have been a safety improvement but it really is going to take some getting used to. I don't mind for some reason when I'm driving home but in the mornings it really bothers me. I guess it has something to do with being two inches shorter in the afternoon than in the morning.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
You actually use the headrest while your driving???? I find this a very restrictive style of driving. I find I can't look around and drive as saftely as when I have my head in an upright position.
I always thought the headrest was more of a saftey device rather than a driving tool. Now on the other hand, I use it quite often when sitting in my car (waiting for mama in the store)..... With the seat moved back and reclined I find the head rest quite comfortable.
When you're sitting on the 110N freeway approaching Downtown LA in the morning rush hour you get real used to using the headrest. There's really no need to be able to look around when you're stuck in one lane doing about 8mph in stop-and-go traffic.