bagpipe sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' E320
bagpipe sound

I had the NAV installed at the time I purchased my 2005 E320. Now when I shut the car off for a good 20mins after there is this sound that comes from the car, it’s almost like a bagpipe sound. It does not sound like it is coming from the engine. Any thoughts??

Thanks so much.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by bforde
I had the NAV installed at the time I purchased my 2005 E320. Now when I shut the car off for a good 20mins after there is this sound that comes from the car, it’s almost like a bagpipe sound. It does not sound like it is coming from the engine. Any thoughts??

Thanks so much.
I like the sound of that. Are you selling it?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
If your car is equipped with air ride then the car is just leveling itself.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Almost a Member!

05' E320
Air ride?? Never heard of that, don't think it is equipt with this.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Are you able to hear where the sound is coming from, if not the engine? I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that would produce a whistling (bagpipe) sound for 20 minutes after you shut off the car. I suppose a severely overheated engine might whistle for a long time after shutoff, but unless you're in Oz (you didn't say) it's the wrong time of the year for that. Have you by any chance been parking near my alma mater?

http://www.pipeband.ucr.edu/
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E Class
Weird Noise

Does it by any chance sound like its coming from the back seat? if so, I have the same sound. It has been diagnosed as the "purge valve" from the pneumatic locks. Sounds like a "tone" of about 1 or so seconds in length. You can also hear it when you are outside the car too.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:26 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by Sovren
Does it by any chance sound like its coming from the back seat? if so, I have the same sound. It has been diagnosed as the "purge valve" from the pneumatic locks. Sounds like a "tone" of about 1 or so seconds in length. You can also hear it when you are outside the car too.
Here's the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=10
Old 12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

05' E320
I really can't figure out where it coming from. The only time I do hear it is when I turn off the car. I turn the car off and stand in the garage and wait, sure enough this weird sound starts. What are the pneumatic locks, I drop the car off tomorrow, should I ask them to look at the pneumatic locks?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:31 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
warrantee work is in order.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Almost a Member!

05' E320
Yeah but I know they won't hear it, so if I knew kinda what it was then I could suggest they check on it.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:25 AM

ML 320 CDI
They all make a similar noise, some just seem to be a bit more pronounced that others. Unfortunately I have no idea what causes this noise.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Bagpiper Lament

Morning everyone,

Are you sure they are bagpipes??? Rumour has it that this ‘very nice’ instrument can make noise levels from a single chanter that can reach 122 decibels. It is often said that bagpipes are the missing link between music and noise.

Did you know that the bagpipes are one of the oldest instruments in existence? The actual source of this much-loved mellow sounding utensil is not known. It probably has its origins in the Middle East. Some people say the Irish gave bagpipes to the Scots as a joke and sadly the Scots completely missed the joke.

Apparently the Roman Army employed a horde of pipers - Nero loved them. Then again he was notorious for his cruelty, throwing Christians into large coliseums and forcing them to listen to bagpipe music. A form of pipe was certainly being played in Scotland by the 1400s. I think the Scottish Rugby team need an army of pipers to play before each game.

Question: Why do bagpipers walk when they play?
Answer: To get away from the sound.

It would appear that you are a very fortunate person and are extremely lucky to have such a popular instrument being played solely for your benefit.

If you are desperate to remove the noise I would recommend the following:

Go to your local hostelry and obtain a glass (wee dram!) of their finest malt. Then to steady your nerves drink it. If the beverage meets with your approval buy the bottle! Then repair to your garage and pour a ‘huge’ glassful of this nectar and leave it overnight by the side of your vehicle. If on your return the malt has not been consumed then I am proud to announce that there is no way a ‘piper’ is concealed within your vehicle. IF the malt has been consumed, first check for any drunken rodents (or Scotsman) or feline quadrupeds. If there are none of these then there is indeed a phantom piper.

Now the first thing to do is ensure that you have a ‘one way’ trap door, this would be an oversized cat-flap type door. Then each night place the dram of whiskey closer to the door, until on the final night place it on the other side of the flap!!! Hey presto Piper removed.

If the malt has not been consumed, then I would suggest it might be the pneumatic piping for the central locking. You have not specified the type of vehicle you own, nor the model. This information is always helpful, as is your country, as different countries have different pipers or specifications. It is a possibility that this piping has got bent or kinked thus the noise.

Sorry about my silly sense of humour but it is the Christmas season of goodwill and we are off tomorrow to stay with relatives.

Regards,
John
A damp morning in Torquay
Old 12-22-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
song request

can you play 'danny boy' on that thing?
Old 12-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jago1244

LOL :p :p :p
Old 12-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jago1244
Probably not. But I heard that cars made for the UK market can play “Londonderry Air”. Glojo or Fastbuck, can you confirm this?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oslo
Probably not. But I heard that cars made for the UK market can play “Londonderry Air”. Glojo or Fastbuck, can you confirm this?

Our vehicle does suffer from the occasional kinked pipe and makes the odd brrrrp noise.

At least that's my excuse... blaming the 'kinked pipe'

I cannot take the mickey too much out of bagpipes, a lone piper standing on the walls of Edinburgh Castle at night, floodlight, is a sight to behold.

Regards,
John
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by glojo
Our vehicle does suffer from the occasional kinked pipe and makes the odd brrrrp noise.

At least that's my excuse... blaming the 'kinked pipe'

I cannot take the mickey too much out of bagpipes, a lone piper standing on the walls of Edinburgh Castle at night, floodlight, is a sight to behold.

Regards,
John
OK, John. You didn't take the bait. Let's see what Fastbuck knows about Irish history....
Old 12-22-2004, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, John. You didn't take the bait. Let's see what Fastbuck knows about Irish history....

Far, far too tactful
Off to Lincolnshire first thing tomorrow
John
Old 12-22-2004, 02:53 PM

Far, far too tactful
John
To appease certain non-musical friends (Glojo), I propose here to set down all I know or can deduce about the Londonderry air. I first heard of the air following its inclusion in Stanford’s Irish rhapsody in D minor, when it was included in the programme of a Hallé Concert at Manchester in either 1904 or 1905, conducted by Hans Richter. Some years later the rhapsody was recited again at Queen’s Hall. Although the beauty of the melody was remarked at the time, nobody seemed inquisitive, and most people for a little while accepted a leg-pulling suggestion of Irish friends that it was by Stanford out of Parry. The popularity of the Londonderry air is undoubtedly concurrent with the musical activities of the BBC, whose artists have played it numerous times : until now it takes an equally prominent place in the repertoire of that superb artist John McCormack and of the most lowly street singer.

Yet the origin of the Air still eludes us. My own opinion is that it is of no great age, and this because the leading note, the seventh, is sharp and not flat, as is found in most traditional airs. I have not noticed this reasoning expressed elsewhere, though the most interesting article on the history of the air, so far as is known, appears in the last issue of the Journal of the English Folk Dance and Song Society. In the article Miss Anne G Gilchrist tells us that the air was first printed in a volume of Irish Airs collected by George Petrie and published in Dublin in 1855.

It is inscribed ‘name unknown’, but Petrie in his notes says that the melody reached him from a Miss Jane Ross, of New Town, Limarady, Co Derry, who had collected others and forwarded them to Petrie. The strange thing is that she made no comment about this Londonderry air other than that it was ‘very old’. But is it, in fact, very old? What makes me and others doubt its alleged old age is that the melody comes before us full grown and developed: it has not, and to our knowledge, never has had, any variants. Of equal significance is the fact that the melody first appeared unattended by the usual story in verse; moreover, it is seen not to fit any Irish metre. Ballad writers have since endeavoured, with varying success, to set the melody to words.

The only conclusion I reach is that some person of name unknown did write the lovely and immortal melody called the Londonderry air. Such single inspirations are not unknown in music: and in this case I venture to suggest that the inspiration came to Jane Ross, and that shyness alone robbed her of fame
Old 12-22-2004, 02:56 PM

Far, far too tactful
John
Have a nice and peaceful Christmas, John. Send my regards to "The One That Must Be Obeyed"
Attached Thumbnails bagpipe sound-stc.gif  
Old 12-22-2004, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have a nice and peaceful Christmas, John. Send my regards to "The One That Must Be Obeyed"
Thanks Oslo,
Message passed and please pass on seasonal greetings to your good lady wife.

Fastbuck,
A happy Christmas to you and a particularly happy Hogmanay

Regards to you both,
John
Old 12-22-2004, 03:30 PM

Fastbuck. Of course, we all knew that…….

My intention was to bring out the message that Londonderry Air is commonly known to foreigners as Danny Boy.

This title has a certain political bias, since the name "Londonderry" is used to emphasize the ties between Northern Ireland and Britain (referring to the colonization of the area by English settlers in the early 17th century). Irish nationalists usually prefer to use "Derry", the original name of the Northern city and county. It appears that the title Air from County Derry was also used. In Australia, it was usually called the Air from County Derry. (This would support Winston Churchill's theory that Australia was inhabited by "convicts and Irishmen".)
Old 12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My intention was to bring out the message that Londonderry Air is commonly known to foreigners as Danny Boy.

This title has a certain political bias, since the name "Londonderry" is used to emphasize the ties between Northern Ireland and Britain (referring to the colonization of the area by English settlers in the early 17th century). Irish nationalists usually prefer to use "Derry", the original name of the Northern city and county. It appears that the title Air from County Derry was also used. In Australia, it was usually called the Air from County Derry. (This would support Winston Churchill's theory that Australia was inhabited by "convicts and Irishmen".)

Like I said, far too diplomatic to get involved

Still loitering, and watching poor wife packing.

John
Old 12-22-2004, 03:50 PM

Like I said, far too diplomatic to get involved

John
I agree. Let’s celebrate the forthcoming holydays in a peaceful manner, and leave the subject for now….
Old 12-22-2004, 03:51 PM

True to a point. The tune is the same but different words.

Have a wonderful Christmas and I hope 2005 is a great year for you. I trust too that your health will return to 100%

Regards
M

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: bagpipe sound