E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Video of Power Lock problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for your efforts. At present I certainly have no reason to doubt what you are saying.

In my heart I hope you are wrong because I do NOT like being 'fobbed off', but it would certainly be nieve to discount what you have said.

If it was the movable floor would the pump be operating when the floor was not being used? I ask this because of the noise the kinked pipe used to make. This noise would be made with the engine off and the tailgate shut?

I am still thinking whilst typing and another strange thing comes to mind. As soon as the technician heard the noise he immediately knew what it was? How did he know? Why did he know where the pump was? My vehicle is the only one supplied by our dealer with a moving floor? The technician would have had absolutely no knowledge of this option whatsoever? One minute your suggestion sounds perfect, and the next minute it has just a few flaws?

It would be easiest to trace the piping but unfortunately that is not an option. Your movable floor suggestion is certainly plausible and I am definitely NOT dismissing it.

Thanks again for your excellent co-operation, and suggestion.

John
I just threw that suggestion out there. I really don't know, but it seems that your car has a lot more "junk in the trunk" (US English saying). What I mean is that this wagon seems to be bare of stuff compared to yours. I wonder really, if your car does have pneumatic locks. That pump and its insulator housing looks like the ones my other MBs have had under the back seat.

As per your question about the salt on the roads: They don't salt the roads in Colorado. They use Magnesium Chloride. It is supposed to be much more environmentally friendly, but it too kills evergreen trees on the sides of the roads. It also tends to short circuit power line insulators. It is corrosive, but not nearly as bad as salt. None of the MBs have ever had ANY rust here, but my Audi has had rust fixed a few times in the last 19 years. The steel technology was different in 1986 though.

As per that car being dirty, I will show you a really dirty car on a later date!

Hope your feeling better,

Steve
Old 01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I just threw that suggestion out there. I really don't know, but it seems that your car has a lot more "junk in the trunk" (US English saying). What I mean is that this wagon seems to be bare of stuff compared to yours. I wonder really, if your car does have pneumatic locks. That pump and its insulator housing looks like the ones my other MBs have had under the back seat.

As per your question about the salt on the roads: They don't salt the roads in Colorado. They use Magnesium Chloride. It is supposed to be much more environmentally friendly, but it too kills evergreen trees on the sides of the roads. It also tends to short circuit power line insulators. It is corrosive, but not nearly as bad as salt. None of the MBs have ever had ANY rust here, but my Audi has had rust fixed a few times in the last 19 years. The steel technology was different in 1986 though.

As per that car being dirty, I will show you a really dirty car on a later date!

Hope your feeling better,

Steve
It is a fool that asks questions and fails to listen to the answers they get.

I am certainly taking onboard what you have said. Something moves that floor

(Time for the morphine, it might not make me feel better but it certainly takes the edge off the pain)

Bye for now,
John
Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
My locks are the Euro style lego axles. From the sound and speed of them I would guess that they are electrically operated. By contrast, my partner's SLK has golf tees, that operate more slowly and quietly, also with a slight delay, which I had always assumed were pneumatic. It is interesting that thay would develop two different systems, unless they are gradually moving to all electric.

Maybe they had some guy from Citroen who persuaded them to make everything hydraulic before sanity prevailed.

Certainly I prefer the snappier and move positive action of my locks, compared with the SLKs.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many
211 doesn't have pmeumatic door locks.
The problem in your video is one of the problems in 211.
Call dealer and tell to fix it.
I heard there was a DTB about this.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by a2gtinut
Thanks, I knew that they were not pneumatic and since I have seen MLs with this problem I knew that it happens to some MB locks. The part was ordered by the dealer in December and it was put on backorder. I had the power lock changed 3 weeks ago and so far none of the other locks have started to act up.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by a2gtinut
I have posted a number of messages explaining how the technician gave me incorrect information, but it was given with good intent, as was my repeating it. The noises however WERE indeed made by the pnuematic pipes that were kinked.

John
Old 01-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o m g
this car is haunted