E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Video of Power Lock problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Video of Power Lock problem

OK!

While I was on vacation these past two weeks, I parked my car outside in the REAL cold weather and made a short video of the driver’s door lock acting up. First and foremost, THESE LOCKS ARE NOT PNEUMATIC!!!! I know that “glojo” John has had a kinked air line, but you have a wagon and a few more features in the back end of that car. These features could be pneumatic. I specifically asked my dealer about these locks and they stated that the ML and the W211 now have totally electric locks.

Open the link below and you will see that the way that lock plunger is typical of a bad ELECTRIC relay/solenoid. There is no way that a pneumatic lock would act this way. Also, these locks are not nearly as quiet as any of my past MBs or my Audi which all had/have pneumatic locks. However, they are quieter than the typical electric power lock.

http://steveag.home.comcast.net/Powerlock.avi

Anyway, my dealer called and the lock actuator (power lock) came in last week and I will be getting that and a new voice module for my cell phone installed this week. The dealer, once again, confirmed that these locks tend to have some problems in COLD WEATHER.

Steve A.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG Black/Black
Creepy.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Haha that's kinda cool seeing it dance like that.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
They say a picture paints a thousand words, and what an example this clip is.

My 'knobs' bear absolutely no resemblance to those in your vehicle. I am going to be very interested to read 'Fastbucks' comments as he also owns a saloon.

Your locks appear to have curved heads which protrude above the door panel?

These were a car thiefs Christmas delight and made the opening of vehicles extremely easy.

Does your central locking make that solenoid type noise whenever they shut?

Mine are silent, no noise, no ka-thunk, no donk, or in your case donk, donk, donk!!! just a luxury smooth silent movement of the lock sliding into the panel?

I am EXTREMELY surprised at the difference. (amazed) I will try and take a still picture of the lock both engaged and unlocked so you can see the difference. Unfortunately I am not able to do it today, but hopefully I will be better tomorrow.

Oslo
Is your central locking similar to the one in the video (apart from its crazy, unacceptable dance?)

I cannot get over the noise it is making??? There is NO doubt in my mind that our two systems are indeed different, and I know which one I prefer. I certainly am not in the position to say that European cars are different, all I can say is MY vehicle is DEFINITELY
different and I fully understand why you have disagreed with me.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the video and I would NOT be happy if my car behaved like that

Happy New Year,
John

Question for Fastbuck

How many ears does Captain Kirk have?

Answer... Three

This is straight from my Christmas Cracker

One left ear

One right ear

And a Final Frontier
Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Weird, but cool you were able to catch it during the act.

And glogo, I know what you are talking about. The locks in the SL and other MB's are the squarish type. I don't know why they decided to use this type in the E.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by glojo
They say a picture paints a thousand words, and what an example this clip is.

Does your central locking make that solenoid type noise whenever they shut?

Mine are silent, no noise, no ka-thunk, no donk, or in your case donk, donk, donk!!! just a luxury smooth silent movement of the lock sliding into the panel?

I am EXTREMELY surprised at the difference. (amazed)
Usually, they are quieter than in the video, but they are definitely noisier than the pneumatic locks, but much quieter than the typical totally electric locks.

I know what kind of locks you are talking about. The plungers are different in the US, but I have no idea why. I personally like pneumatic locks, but I HATE HAVING TO TROUBLE SHOOT A LEAK!!!!!!!! Pneumatic locks are wonderful when they work. I must say that in spite of this little problem, I prefer the simplicity of these locks over the old fashioned pneumatic locks. I also like the speed of these.

I knew that you would appreciate the video! I would also speculate that most Euro Es are like yours, but I think that the newer ones have switched to total electric locks.

Steve
Old 01-03-2005, 12:05 PM

'06 SL65

I am EXTREMELY surprised at the difference. (amazed) I will try and take a still picture of the lock both engaged and unlocked so you can see the difference. Unfortunately I am not able to do it today, but hopefully I will be better tomorrow.
I was kind of suprised that our U.S. W211 had that clunking noise during locking (kind of cheap). Wish it was as smooth and quiet as our '02 S500. Heck, our '01 E320 (although still made a noise) is alttile smoother and quieter that the W211.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
I knew that you would appreciate the video! I would also speculate that most Euro Es are like yours, but I think that the newer ones have switched to total electric locks.
Hi Steve,
I have only owned the 210 and now the 211, so cannot comment on any other models.

The pnuematic operation of the central locking is not something I would describe as slow, and when comparing this system to all the other vehicles we have owned its speed of operation just does not register. I have absolutely no idea of how it compares speed wise, I would simply say that I am very hard to please and if I thought the system was slow, then I would be 'bending someones ear'

It may or may not be as quick, I simply have never noticed. It is however remarkably smooth, quiet and reliable. To change over to something that does not offer that 'Mercedes-Benz' silky smooth quiet effect would, in my personal opinion be a very retrograde step.

I have no objection as to whether the system is electrically operated or not, but I would object to having an inferior system fitted into a new vehicle which I may or may not purchase in the future.

This thread has really got my attention (your fault ) and now I am desperate to hear from other European owners.

Regards,
John

I like the Santa Fe picture.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,
I have only owned the 210 and now the 211, so cannot comment on any other models.

The pnuematic operation of the central locking is not something I would describe as slow, and when comparing this system to all the other vehicles we have owned its speed of operation just does not register. I have absolutely no idea of how it compares speed wise, I would simply say that I am very hard to please and if I thought the system was slow, then I would be 'bending someones ear'

It may or may not be as quick, I simply have never noticed. It is however remarkably smooth, quiet and reliable. To change over to something that does not offer that 'Mercedes-Benz' silky smooth quiet effect would, in my personal opinion be a very retrograde step.

I have no objection as to whether the system is electrically operated or not, but I would object to having an inferior system fitted into a new vehicle which I may or may not purchase in the future.

This thread has really got my attention (your fault ) and now I am desperate to hear from other European owners.

Regards,
John

I like the Santa Fe picture.
John,

Even my 1991 300E had pneumatic locks that were acceptably fast. They were quieter and they were smooth in their movement my 1988 190E 2.3 16 had reliable but really slow locks. I was lucky though, none of my MBs or Audis have ever developed lock problems. However, my family's various “S” MBs have had a few problems. Especially with the trunk closing systems.

After 19 years, my Audi's system still works! It has been getting slower and slower though, and it used to be that the vacuum stored would last a few cycles before the pump would turn on, now it runs every time the locks move! Once the system stops working, it will be next to impossible (and definitely not worth) tracing the problem. The system has leaks in it and they are getting worse. However, 19 years of operation is very good.

You have to note that my current locks are malfunctioning due to a manufacturing flaw. I would say that these locks are about 25% to 30% louder than the older pneumatic locks, however, I prefer this system and it is much quieter than the standard systems of this kind in other cars. If one actuator stops working on this system, you will not cause a failure of the whole system (pneumatics TEND to do this). Also, the serviceability is much better and easier. If I were designing a car myself, I would use the system I currently have on my W211. However, I would build (source) better actuators! It is ironic that the system I like better has already had problems after 3 months, but the pneumatic system I don't like as much has NEVER caused me any problems. Pneumatic systems also have great problems in cold weather if they get humidity built up in the lines and then it freezes. That has happened to my 300E, but it fixed itself before I got the car to the dealer.

About the picture, it is not Santa Fe. The picture is of a rock on the trail that people took to get to Santa Fe during the migration towards the American West. When they saw this rock "The Tooth of Time" it meant that they still had 2 weeks of traveling left to get to Santa Fe. This picture is taken close to Cimarron, New Mexico. I should show you some pictures of the mud bogs I drove though to get to this spot! Another reason for a 4 Matic! I always get strange looks because of the places I take (and have taken) all of my Mercedes cars.

Steve
Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,
This has got me wondering why the differing systems in basically the same vehicle.

Any ideas?

Regards,
John
Old 01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Steve,
This has got me wondering why the differing systems in basically the same vehicle.

Any ideas?

Regards,
John
I am wondering too! I am sure that it is an update to the whole line. But I am guessing here. It might be that they are updating the whole systems (what I heard at the dealer). It could also be that my car is Austrian made (but I seriously doubt it). I would also like to know why the lock plungers are different .

Have a good one,

Steve A
Old 01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I know there are aftermarket machined alumin(i)um door lock pulls (posts) available, but in the US, all of the MBs delivered seem to have the color matched plastic Golf Tee -Y shapped door lock pull. tell me Europe gets differnt ones!

BTW...no doubt about it electric/solenoid locks in the film clip. They dont sliiiiiiide up or slam down like the electrics. In real life, the door locks are not as noisy as they seem in the video because those are slamming up & down to their limit of travel, & the microphone on the camera is only a very little bit away from the metal door panel, with its directional pickup directed solely at the door. In real life the locks move only once, we are taller, we are further away from the metal hollow door, (the insulation of the doors is located for the quietness of the cabin) & we arwe subject to ambient noise around us... and we can't wait to slide in & drive!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 01-03-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I know there are aftermarket machined alumin(i)um door lock pulls (posts) available, but in the US, all of the MBs delivered seem to have the color matched plastic Y shapped door lock pull. tell me Europe gets differnt ones!
Hate to say it Barry BUT.......... Yup.

We sure dee do dee. I will hopefully be taking a picture tomorrow. This all seems so crazy, why are there so many differences? I can understand legal things like perhaps the indicator repeaters on the bumpers, but why so many minor discrepancies???

COMAND (DVD)
Linguatronic
Mats (dead pedal covering)
SBC (SBC Hold)
Door lock pulls?
Folding mirrors (I think the latest US vehicles might have this)

These are just a few that my 'adled' memory can recall, but no doubt there are many, many more.

John
Old 01-03-2005, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Simple! It makes the cars more dificult to get right and keep right. It might actually be due to some sort of arrogance that the engineers there have that they can keep 10,000 variations of an item, keep them all separate, indexed and working right. I know I can't.

That's MORE crazy than GM selling the same truck (Chevy, GMC) rolling off the SAME assembly line with 2 different grilles, and the options grouped differently into packages, yet the GMC is advertised as "Professional Grade"

As to the "legal differences" such as our amber bulbed rub strips... wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to equip ALL of the E's with them. I'm not saying they are beautiful, mind you, but after years of having them on our vehicles, we don't "see" them anymore. Less variations, less inventory.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 01-03-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM

00 CLK320, 02 C320W, 05 E320 CDI, 03 986S
Door lock

So, there are two differences for the door lock:
1. Solenoid (US) vs Pneumatic (EUR)
2. Y shape lock pin (US) vs round type? (EUR)

Not sure about (1) of why it is different between US and EUR. My CLK still using Pneumatic type. My C320(02) already has solenoid type.

For number 2, it may be use for rear passenger to unlock/exit without the driver requires to unlock using the central lock button, by just pulling it up.
I know the front passenger/Driver can exit by just pulling on the door open handle. The rear passenger can not do the same without pulling up on the the lock pin first.

How does the rear passenger exit on a locked door in the EUR version (round type door pin)?

Thanks,

Sinclair
Old 01-03-2005, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I know there are aftermarket machined alumin(i)um door lock pulls (posts) available, but in the US, all of the MBs delivered seem to have the color matched plastic Y shapped door lock pull. tell me Europe gets differnt ones!

BTW...no doubt about it electric/solenoid locks in the film clip. They dont sliiiiiiide up or slam down like the electrics. In real life, the door locks are not as noisy as they seem in the video because those are slamming up & down to their limit of travel, & the microphone on the camera is only a very little bit away from the metal door panel, with its directional pickup directed solely at the door. In real life the locks move only once, we are taller, we are further away from the metal hollow door, (the insulation of the doors is located for the quietness of the cabin) & we arwe subject to ambient noise around us... and we can't wait to slide in & drive!
Yes, I did notice that the microphone on this digital camera is unusually sensitive. It is not even a true video camera! The lock only acted up like it did on the video a total of 4 times since I have had the car. After this video the lock never did it again. But it will be fixed for good on Wednesday.

Barry, I think you and I have been on the same page about this all along . As per these subtle differences, I think that the side marker lights (though not pretty) are still useful on very dark roads. I do drive in dark places, main reason I got Xenons. However, Fords in the US have always had Euro-like lock tumble. So I doubt the MB changed this on US cars just because they felt like it.

Steve
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
My 'knobs' bear absolutely no resemblance to those in your vehicle. I am going to be very interested to read 'Fastbucks' comments as he also owns a saloon.

My locks certainly are quieter than those in Steve's video clip. I have the smooth dome shape pulls as well. I noticed the last time I was on vacation in the US that all the E and C class cars I looked at had "golf tee" shaped pulls. Maybe that explains why you get your cars in the US about 33% cheaper than we pay in UK????? Smooth dome lock pulls at Ł2500 each?????
Old 01-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by sand8dune

How does the rear passenger exit on a locked door in the EUR version (round type door pin)?

Pulling the door release handle unlocks the door and allows it to open unless the "child latch" is engaged in which case it does nothing.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:06 PM

00 CLK320, 02 C320W, 05 E320 CDI, 03 986S
Originally Posted by Fastbuck
Pulling the door release handle unlocks the door and allows it to open unless the "child latch" is engaged in which case it does nothing.
Thank you, Fastbuck.

US version MB does not seem to have childlock option. All the Japanese car manufacturers are providing this option, however. I guess the EUR version is much better setup than the cheaper US version.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350W4
That's exactly the same problem I'm having. The only difference is that it's the passanger's side door/lock.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SGEM
That's exactly the same problem I'm having. The only difference is that it's the passanger's side door/lock.
I bet it only started to happen when the weather got cold. Well, I recommend you get it changed (or at least have the part ordered) at your next service. It is a warning telling you that the system in that door will stop working soon.

Steve
Old 01-04-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
That's exactly the same problem I had with my passenger side door lock. The only difference bieng that my car has nice flush mounted door pins and the one in the video just looks silly. Same problem though and it was definately an electrical solenoid that was playing up.

Just wanted to add that that was my 75th post and I'm now a Member apparantly :p
Old 01-04-2005, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As promised here are the pictures. I wanted the 'boss' to take pictures of the pnuematic piping but she states it is behind an insulation panel that needs a special security fitment to undo the screws.

It is disappointing because I do not want folks thinking I am mistaken about this issue, but what will be, will be.

The side marker issue is still one I do not understand. I certainly do not disagree with it, and if it is fitted then so be it, I just do not see why it is there.

Perhaps we can further this thread?

The button issue has been answered by Fastbuck, the instant there is pulling pressure applied onto the interior door handle then the car door unlocks.

The 'Y' shaped buttons were considered a major security weakness and made things very easy for car thiefs.

Right, I am going to attempt to upload the 'bosses' pictures.

Bye for now,
John
Attached Thumbnails Video of Power Lock problem-plunger-up.jpg   Video of Power Lock problem-plunger-down.jpg  

Last edited by glojo; 01-04-2005 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by marcos
That's exactly the same problem I had with my passenger side door lock. The only difference bieng that my car has nice flush mounted door pins and the one in the video just looks silly. Same problem though and it was definately an electrical solenoid that was playing up.
Hi Marcos,
Is your vehicle a saloon and when was the build date please?

My vehicle is an estate and is a January 04 build.

I have asked you the questions in case Mercedes-Benz has changed from pnuematic to electric? I certainly cannot imagine the temperature in Hertfordshire getting as low as Colorado? Unless you know different??

Take care,
John
A mild, cool misty morning in Torquay
Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Hi John,

Mine has a build date of 10/02 and is a saloon. The second E320 CDI in the country apparently. My door pins look exactly the same as yours though, much neater than the golf-tee type.
Having been to Vail, Breckenridge, Aspen and Steamboat several times skiing I can verify that it is definately a lot warmer here in Hertfordshire during the winter months.
Looking at the web-cam it looks a bit wet down there today John.

Take Care,
Marcos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video of Power Lock problem