E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Infiniti's new M45, good competition?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti's new M45, good competition?

I just got finished reading Motor Trend, Car and Driver, and Road & Tracks review of the new M45 and they were all extremely positive about it. Probably the best reviews any Infiniti has gotten since the G35. One of the surprising things about the car is its performance numbers (Road & Track). 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds, and it pulled the highest skidpad rating (0.90g) of any sedan they have ever tested. They also said its 65.4 mph slalom speed is among the fastest for a luxury 4-door, bested only by more expensive hot rods like the Audi RS-6, BMW M5, and Mercedes-Benz C55.

They all raved about the interior, engine, smoothness, refinement, quality, handling, etc. Everything they said was glowing in praise. It is almost the same conclusion in all three reviews, "After the success of the G35, it comes as no little surprise that Infiniti has followed a similar formula with the M45. Built around an improved version of a proven platform, the M45 delivers performance and luxury in an attractive, well-appointed package."

I still think that the E55/E500 Sport looks much better inside and out than the M45. Although with this said, the M45 seems like a stunning car for their as tested price of $49,990. R&T said it was equal in peformance to the $10,000 more expensive 545i SMG that they tested before.

They always came to the conclusion that the higher price of the 330i was deserved over the G35, but it seems like they are extremely hessitant to make that statement now with the M45 and 545i. I am not sure about the E500 though. Competition is always good I guess. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
I read the review and have also looked at all the photos posted on Infiniti site and edmunds forums. Really sounds like Nissan is in the game.......I was considering the M45 as a possible choice, but just could not warm up to the cars appearance. It looks a little too much like a "Nissan" model to me, not bad, just something missing. I can't quite describe what it is except to say that IMO it just does not quite have that luxury car appeal. Three things I do not like for sure are the wood trim, it looks like plastic vinyl wood tone trim to me, the rear lights are kind of big ("gaudy") and I have never warmed up to the Infiniti front grill. I have to admit it does sound like a real performer though and it is probably a very good and reliable car with the latest electronics. The Japanese car makers are great at raising the bar on reliability and the latest tech stuff.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
The car could be the worlds greatest for what I care and I still wouldn't drive it....

When it all comes down to it it is still a standard Japanese car with absolutely no charm what so ever
Old 01-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trin
The car could be the worlds greatest for what I care and I still wouldn't drive it....

When it all comes down to it it is still a standard Japanese car with absolutely no charm what so ever
Haha, have you seen some of the cars that come out of the minds from Japanese based companies? It certainly ellicts a more favorable emotion then 90% of Mercedes' lineup.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is complete ignorance I have just read. To make such a bold statement that Japanese cars have no charm and to infer that only German cars do? I guess some people are still reliving the glory days of Third Riech.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by adx
Wow, this is complete ignorance I have just read. To make such a bold statement that Japanese cars have no charm and to infer that only German cars do? I guess some people are still reliving the glory days of Third Riech.
Well, you have to admit that YOUR statement is a tad extreme as well, don't you?!? Associating Hitler's regime with this topic?!? Come on, now.

The real truth is that Infiniti vehicles suffer from a lack of resale value, since they are severely discounted. Mercedes vehicles do not, in part to the "charm" (or exclusivity) factor.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by adx
I guess some people are still reliving the glory days of Third Riech.
Well well! this comment is a bit extreme! But you could at least spell "Reich" correctly! If you make statements this strong, you need to have a better delivery.

Steve A
Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The last Infinity I rode in was a Q45. The doors rattled when you shut them and the leather looked like the cheap, surface dyed stuff you'd get in a Cadillac.

I suppose things have changed drastically but it's still all about value with me. It's not what a car costs me to buy, it's what that car costs me to own and depreciation and/or long term reliability are too important for me to wander off and try the latest Japanese hot rod.

Having said that, I suppose I'm still **** retentive about German products so who knows what I'm missing. I did buy a Canon digital camera when I have a closet full of Leica gear. Anything is possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadManAboutTown
The real truth is that Infiniti vehicles suffer from a lack of resale value, since they are severely discounted. Mercedes vehicles do not, in part to the "charm" (or exclusivity) factor.
That may be been true in the past, but I am not so sure it still applies. Times are changing.

The G35 has the highest residual value of any car in the near luxury class, better than BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Acura. Infiniti is 5th, right behind Mercedes-Benz for overall residual value for luxury brands as well. I am surprised actually that BMW is still at the #1 spot.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20041...8122004-1.html
Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4

You must be suffering from extreme SAD from being in the dark for far too long.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55 AMG
Hey now... I simply posted my honest opinion about Nissan and I guess that in the end it's all about individual taste.

I know a lot of people in Denmark and Sweden who shares my opinion. Actually a whole lot.

Maybe it is different in the States... I don't know.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, you have to admit that YOUR statement is a tad extreme as well, don't you?!? Associating Hitler's regime with this topic?!? Come on, now.

As with all opinions, they can be subtle or strong. As you can tell from my opinion, it was strong and rightful so as to counter the original opinion of Japanese cars. BTW, excuse me for my spelling since I don't use this phrase much. As to your real truth on Infiniti vehicles, I suggest you look at various publications and sources that completely contradict your statement on the resale value.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 PM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey now... I simply posted my honest opinion about Nissan and I guess that in the end it's all about individual taste.

I know a lot of people in Denmark and Sweden who shares my opinion. Actually a whole lot.

Maybe it is different in the States... I don't know.
Trin, I apologize for coming off so hard on your statement of Japanese cars but, be careful how you state your dislike for Japanese cars as it may be misinterpreted in a different manner.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
The Performance of the M45 is impressive, as is (I'm sure), the reliability and fit and finish. I haven't seen one in person yet, and if I had, it certainly must not have been memorable.

As with the Cadillac STS, the appearance doesn't really do anything for me even though the performance is rousing. From the pictures, the M45 reminds me of an older Plymouth or something. The front grill is awful as well. Perhaps when I see one in person, if I notice, it will look better. After all, the BMW 545i is actually starting to grow on me a little.

Last edited by CALBenzo; 01-05-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:53 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by MBZ1
That may be been true in the past, but I am not so sure it still applies. Times are changing.

The G35 has the highest residual value of any car in the near luxury class, better than BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Acura. Infiniti is 5th, right behind Mercedes-Benz for overall residual value for luxury brands as well. I am surprised actually that BMW is still at the #1 spot.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20041...8122004-1.html
I see the article, but with the heavy Infiniti dealer discounting on all of their models, there is little incentive to buy a high-priced used vehicle instead of buying a discounted new one.

It just doesn't make sense... and besides, you have to agree that these are predictions, not fact, especially since the G35 has only been out a couple of years!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM

2004 E500
QUOTE=adx]As with all opinions, they can be subtle or strong. As you can tell from my opinion, it was strong and rightful so as to counter the original opinion of Japanese cars. BTW, excuse me for my spelling since I don't use this phrase much. As to your real truth on Infiniti vehicles, I suggest you look at various publications and sources that completely contradict your statement on the resale value.[/QUOTE]
See my previous post on my perspective... than you can rebut with the "real truth"
Old 01-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
I don't care what it can do, that thing is just plain fugly!

If all I cared about was value and performance I would have gone with the oversized Accord (b.k.a. the Acura RL) for less than what I paid for my E320.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I like the interior shots of the Infiniti. Not really digging the exterior at all. We're casually shopping for another car. They aren't all that aggressive on discounting the G35 Coupe. The sedan is another story.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 PM

2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
I too hate the way the nissan looks.......
Old 01-05-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
The interior reminds me of a Toyota Previa minivan. I find that protrusion in the center consol unbecoming of a luxury sedan. The exterior is AWSOME! For a car designed in 1985, it looks like a bad Audi 4000/5000 (80/90/100) also looks like an older Maxima (1980s).

But again, taste is totally subjective!

Steve A.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 PM

none
Originally Posted by Samoan_Ridah
I don't care what it can do, that thing is just plain fugly!

If all I cared about was value and performance I would have gone with the oversized Accord (b.k.a. the Acura RL) for less than what I paid for my E320.

These are pictures of the old M. If you go to www.infiniti.com you can see the new one coming out. I would think thats the one being reviewed.
If I had no choice but it or new 5 series Id get the M.
Anyone way you cut it is a glorified Nissan Maxima... It is what it is.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
id go for the 5 series. Something about ifiniti interiors that just seem cold and just put together. No real heart put into the design like a BMW or Merc.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM

I see the article, but with the heavy Infiniti dealer discounting on all of their models, there is little incentive to buy a high-priced used vehicle instead of buying a discounted new one.

It just doesn't make sense... and besides, you have to agree that these are predictions, not fact, especially since the G35 has only been out a couple of years!
I am not sure where that information comes from, but according to quite a few articles on the net, Infiniti offers the lowest average incentives among luxury vehicles.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ecM&refer=home

"Nissan's increase came from demand for new products such as the Murano sport-utility, 350Z sports car and G35 sport sedan and coupe, North America Senior Vice President Jed Connelly said.

On the Nissan side we were running about 40 percent below the industry average for incentives, and Infiniti has the lowest average incentives of any luxury brand,'' Connelly said in an interview."
Old 01-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
The new M45/M35 looks more like a big G35. I owned a Q45 in 1994 and never had any problems in two years of ownership. However, it is probably safer to lease a new M or Q than to buy one.

It's nice that there are so many great cars to choose. It's probably why I trade so often.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:48 PM

none
Originally Posted by MBZ1
I am not sure where that information comes from, but according to quite a few articles on the net, Infiniti offers the lowest average incentives among luxury vehicles.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...ecM&refer=home

"Nissan's increase came from demand for new products such as the Murano sport-utility, 350Z sports car and G35 sport sedan and coupe, North America Senior Vice President Jed Connelly said.

On the Nissan side we were running about 40 percent below the industry average for incentives, and Infiniti has the lowest average incentives of any luxury brand,'' Connelly said in an interview."
Yeah but the G35 has the highest resale value of any vehicle on the market. The other models Inifinit has are discounted heavily, the dealers will practically GIVE you a G35 sedan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti's new M45, good competition?