E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Options for 05 E320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Options for 05 E320 CDI

What options are definitely worth it....and what options should we pass on....

Thinking of getting just the Xenon lights, keyless entry, and folding rear seats...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by AEsco48
What options are definitely worth it....and what options should we pass on....

Thinking of getting just the Xenon lights, keyless entry, and folding rear seats...
-keyless entry I think you mean "Keyless Go", as all e-Class MBs have keyless entry. We didn't get this, so I can't help.

We have the Xenon lighting package and it's very good. Be prepared, however, to raise the low beam aim point after you take delivery, as it's set dangerously low from the factory.

I'm pleased with all the options we bought except for the Navigation system. The system itself is excellent and worked very well in Europe when we took delivery. Alas, the North American DVD is of very poor quality (WARNING-rant mode ON):

-Coverage is very spotty (example: The detail for the Kalamazoo, Michigan area is so sparse as to be almost useless)

-There are many positional errors in the database (example: The location of Jimmy's Grill in Lowell, MI, is totally incorrect)

-The Points of Interest data is sparse and spotty (example: It doesn't know the Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, the largest military aviation museum in the world), although it seems able to find every McDonalds on the planet

-The driving directions it issues aren't always the best quality (example: Failure to issue any instruction at an intersection that required me to keep right; Instructing me to make an illegal left turn to enter an Interstate highway while an entrance ramp needing a legal right turn was ignored)

-It seems utterly unable to determine the most efficient (shortest) route to a destination; many of the routes it's done for me have been downright ludicrous.

I don't use it much anymore, as I no longer trust it. Okay, rant Mode OFF!

I think you will love your CDI - I do, and ours has been almost 100% trouble-free so far. Good luck.

Last edited by khaug; 01-07-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
17 E220D, 11 E350 CDI(sold), 06 CLS320 CDI (sold), 05 Cadillac DeVille (gone), 04 E320 CDI (sold)
I have thought a lot about what options I would get on my next car...

I would definitely go for parktronic (I use this all the time), keyless go and the electronic trunk closer (very cool).

A lot of people seem to like the pano roof, but I think that is personal choice.

Bi-Xenon lights are so much better that standard that I think I would have to include them as well, although here, they are relatively expensive. But they are truly amazing to use.

Airmatic suspension is nice to have, but i wouldn't spend extra for it unless it came as part of a package (e.g Avantgarde).

Last edited by johna1; 01-07-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E500 Silver/Charcoal
Xenons

Xenons are a must.. I had my car for a week now and the halogens suck. I will be upgrading to Xenons this weekend..
Old 01-07-2005, 03:34 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Xenon HID 's, Command, Air seats are my fav's.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Xenons are a MUST! Especially since the come with headlight washers. The washers are very useful.

List for my next E:

CDI with 4 Matic!
Xenon
Sat Radio (Love it!)
Cell phone with linguatronic (great once they get bugs out of it).
Nav. system (I like mine, but I know that it will get better when the DVD is updated)
Heated and Cooled seat (I only have heated and I use them a lot)
At least a Sunroof (Pano roof might be nice though)
Rear and side door shades
Of course the command and HK sound.
Rear trunk access and ski sock(I can't believe how many times I have already used this)

Maybe list:

Distronic
Air pressure monitoring
Airmatic
Keyless go
Any sport upgrade that can be done to a 4 Matic.

What we need to realize is that even the bare bone E is loaded compared to most other cars. My E was relatively well equipped, definitely not bare bones, I bought it because it was a screaming deal (I had some insider information).

I just hope and wish that a 4 Matic CDI comes to the US!!

Steve A
Old 01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by SAguirre
Rear and side door shades
You can do that now with the OEM ones from Merc, I did and they are great..
Old 01-07-2005, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
You can do that now with the OEM ones from Merc, I did and they are great..
Got them, I like them, but I like the way the OEM roll themselved out of the way. Especially the rear window shade.

Steve
Old 01-11-2005, 12:44 AM

2005 E320 CDI, Nav, Harmon Kardon, full leather, sport seats, fold down rear seat, light package,
I just got mine a couple weeks back, and I just love it.....no problems or bugs at all, yet. I ordered the Premium package and the bi-xenons.......love both big time. Also got the fold down rear seat and it is just awesome and well worth the cost.......taking my son back to college last week it turned the sedan into more of a wagon, could not believe how much room it had. We also got the heated seats and Sirrus Radio.......just great. I'm 57 and driving at night is getting a little bad for me....the Xenons have changed that totaly....get them they are well worth it. I don't have the "keyless go" and wouldn't swap my other toys for it. Latest milelage has een 33.90 MPG in a ride from Lincoln to Manhatten. Half of it was bumper to bumper between Ct. and NY City. The diesel is just in a class by itself, and just a blast to drive. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
I notice that members are recommending xeon headlights, but having had both xeon and now bi-xeon, I would put bi-xeon right at the top of any of my new orders.

Are full leather seats standard in the US? If not this would be the second choice.

Seats:
Go to the dealer and ask to test drive cars with different seating and then choose what seats you like.

Boot opener

Luxury Climate Control if available (4 zone)

Keyless Go\Parktronic

Good luck with your order,
John