E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Siruis Radio Mounting Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siruis Radio Mounting Issue

Any ideas where to mount my new Siruis Radio Unit. Does the stickim on the back of the bracket leave residue? Does anyone have any creative ideas?

03 e500

Thanks in advance
Scott
Old 01-13-2005, 06:22 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
One of these portable jobbies?

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1100707191529

If your choice of satellite radio service wasn't dictated by Mercedes-Benz, you shoulda gone with XM. Way better, unless you're into Howard. Is it too late to return the Sirus unit?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:31 PM

Yes, It is the Siruis Sportster. It is actually for my wifes care in which her father purchased for her. I could really careless, however I don't want it just lying around the car. I on the other hand am quite a bit **** and choose to find a permanent mounting place for it.

Last edited by scottyg; 01-14-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
You've already got the car kit for the Sportster, right, since you mentioned the stickum-type base?

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1100707192550

I don't think there is any one best car mount location for a portable satellite receiver. It depends upon how many wires you are going to connect and where you are connecting them. If you have an '04 or '05 W211 with an "AUX" input in the glove box, you would probably want to mount closer to the glove box than if you were using a cassette input ('03) or an FM modulator, just to minimize the exposed wire. The location of your external antenna and where you run its wire through the interior also dictates placement of the mounting bracket, for the same reason. You'll also have to place it somewhere convenient to the DC power source.

Personally, I refuse to deal with a bunch of exposed wires and drilled holes to have satellite radio. My wife is the primary driver of our W211, and for Christmas I got her a Delphi MyFi portable XM receiver. Very cool. It's got a rechargeable internal battery (no power cord needed) and a built-in FM modulator (audio cable not needed, though using the cassette adapter gives better sound - my '03 doesn't have the AUX jack). Best of all, it's got a five-hour recording capacity, so that my wife can record five hours of her favorite XM channels overnight and play them back without using an antenna the next day. No way am I going to drill holes in our W211 for a satellite antenna - and since my wife tends to listen to the same one or two XM music channels anyway, it doesn't matter much whether the music is "live" or recorded a few hours earlier. Obviously, YMMV if you listen to a lot of different Sirius channels or to live news/sports/weather/traffic content.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 PM

I have used a "panavise" brand mount in a 2000 E430. It was easy to install and no holes and no sticky junk! It puts a small plate coming out of the side of the center console so that you can mount a radio. I have the Delphi XM.

Here is a link to a picture and a source:
http://www.phonemerchants.com/20mee3e5.html
Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
This is a little off topic, but still in the satellite radio arena.....I was told by the mercedes dealer that XM may be available as a dealer option in a couple months in addition to Sirius, has anyone heard similar news?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I don't know why... DCX & Ford are the 2 major stock holders of Sirius. Why would they let you go to the Satellite service that's owned by GM?

On the other hand, car manufacturers that don't own any part of either Satellite service have to offer both so as not to be partisan.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:21 AM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Thanks Barry45RPM, your answer makes sense, the dealers are always saying something, usually inaccurate!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:27 PM

CLS63
I installed Sirius in my E500.

I went with the kenwood rf mod head unit. It has a nice thin silver head that i mounted in the ash tray. I can close my ashtry and it's completely hidden. very clean install. Just a thought.

no wires or mounts to clutter the dash or anthing else.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:16 PM

Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
Dericious,

Do you have pics/more details of your install...sounds like what I have been looking for...

Thanks Jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM

CLS63
i'll see if i can get some pics, my hasn't been working. dropped one to many times.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2628

is the control unit i use - i attatch my phatbox to it.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2623

is the sirus tuner. I put the antena on the rear deck. Reception can be spotty when under things, but otherwise was fine.

I had an installer to the install. he wanted to glue it to the ashtray cover on the outside saying it looked "cool". I had to slap him upside the head and show him how i wanted it done. When you get the control unit, it will not fit , and just be a hair to long on the sides. so i had him shave the sides of the ash tray like 1-2mm on each side. (just the middle of the side has to be shaved to accomodate the rounded head unit sides. after that it will go right in and sit flush. The only downside is that if you cigarette lighter has to come out or stay in, cause the lip on the lighter will get caught behind the unit. However, i think adapters will still be able to fit as they dont' have the lip.

if you got an aux jack, the tuner has RCA outs that can be used to feed the stream into your radio.

What i like about the set up is that i keep my radio display on my phone all the time, and never have to change it cause i control the satelite radio from the head unit in the ash tray. The other cool thing is the remote works when you point it at the roof. Reflects off of the sunroof or windshield i guess.

My tuner is mounted all the way behind the driver side trunk panel and the RF modulator is under the passenger seat. However for your set up, you'll probably want the tuner closer and just run the antenna wire to the back .

Last edited by Dericious; 01-19-2005 at 06:07 PM.