E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cheap Fix for Front License Bumper Holes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Cheap Fix for Front License Bumper Holes

As lamented elsewhere, all ED Mercedes have the front bumper drilled for the license plate. I don't know why they mount it on the face of the bumper, rather than using an L bracket and mount to a bottom surface of the bumper.

Anyway, the car had unwanted holes. I found very small nylon plugs at Home Depot and used two coats of touch-up paint.

Here's the result.

They also had small chrome-plated plugs that would probably look OK too.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Fix for Front License Bumper Holes-bumper2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Looks great. I had a very similar fix.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/78236-front-license-plate-removal-solution.html

Congrats!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
Can I get the SKU number from Home Depot for what you used? Want to go do the same thing to mine immediately...looks much better.

Thanks Jeff
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM

2017 E300W
I'll try to find the SKU. You can find a variety of these plugs in Depot's hardware/fastener aisle. They're in a specialty fastener cabinet with slide-out drawers.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:53 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Just out of curiosity, when you get an ED car, are the holes drilled for a standard US license plate? As I recall, the holes are different for EU plates, although that may have changed.

It would be interesting to know (no, I'm not calling for a survey or poll) how many US states (probably no Canadian provinces) don't require a front license plate. It might be useful information for M-B in deciding whether the should predrill ED front bumpers. If a major state like Florida doesn't require a front plate ....

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...n%2006#0320.06

... that right there is an argument against a blanket drilling policy.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
LOL :p
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM

2017 E300W
Unfortunately, a front plate is required for Germany. So, if you buy ED, the car will have a plate.

I spoke with the ED supervisor in Montvale, and there was no way around the bumpber being drilled. The bracket is US spec and had holes to accommodate the European plate as well as a US plate.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by DWP
Just out of curiosity, when you get an ED car, are the holes drilled for a standard US license plate? As I recall, the holes are different for EU plates, although that may have changed.

It would be interesting to know (no, I'm not calling for a survey or poll) how many US states (probably no Canadian provinces) don't require a front license plate. It might be useful information for M-B in deciding whether the should predrill ED front bumpers. If a major state like Florida doesn't require a front plate ....

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...n%2006#0320.06

... that right there is an argument against a blanket drilling policy.
A Google search finds either 20 or 21 states do not require a front license plate (including Florida which, BTW, was the last state to begin issuing statewide license plates according to one of the websites).

GGM
Old 01-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Me:04 E320 Pewter:Wife:04 E320 White
California requires one, but I have always been successful just asking the dealer not to install when buying a new car.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Front and rear plates are necessary throughout Europe and I think most of the world. It's just you guys in the US seem to be lucky enough to not have one at the front.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Unfortunately, a front plate is required for Germany. So, if you buy ED, the car will have a plate.

I spoke with the ED supervisor in Montvale, and there was no way around the bumpber being drilled. The bracket is US spec and had holes to accommodate the European plate as well as a US plate.
So what's the deal with the tourist delivery plates. I checked, and the holes match up with my US plates. I know the regular EU plates are much longer than the ones that I received in Germany.

Did MB convince the German government to create plates that fit a US template?

P.S. How exactly does one remote that ugly black front plate mount?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
So what's the deal with the tourist delivery plates. I checked, and the holes match up with my US plates. I know the regular EU plates are much longer than the ones that I received in Germany.

Did MB convince the German government to create plates that fit a US template?

P.S. How exactly does one remote that ugly black front plate mount?
The "KBA" of Germany, like our DOT, allows temporary plates to by smaller than the regular EU plates. So the Mercedes and other companies just make plates that are smaller and will fit the US spec. When I lived in Germany I could always find the US spec. cars that were European delivery since they had that little plate. The EU also has a US size place to fit on the back of cars that cannot accommodate the Euro plates, but they were hard to get back in 2000 and I don't know if you can still get them.

Steve
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
DIY "L" bracket for mounting front plate...

I had the same question and fabricated a suitable "L" bracket from a 1 1/4" aluminum angle made from 1/8" thick stock. I used a 1/4 inch thick backing plate with two 6mm threaded holes on the backside of the bumper cover. I had to remove the bumper to do the install but at least I don't have to repaint the bumper if I ever move to a State that does not require the front plate.

Originally Posted by TPAbnz
I don't know why they mount it on the face of the bumper, rather than using an L bracket and mount to a bottom surface of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Fix for Front License Bumper Holes-dsc02098.jpg  
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by fgwinn
I had the same question and fabricated a suitable "L" bracket from a 1 1/4" aluminum angle made from 1/8" thick stock. I used a 1/4 inch thick backing plate with two 6mm threaded holes on the backside of the bumper cover. I had to remove the bumper to do the install but at least I don't have to repaint the bumper if I ever move to a State that does not require the front plate.
Nice job! Here in CT they require two plates but I've always hated the look. Told the dealer (for the last three MBs) not to drill for the plates. I keep the front plate mounted on the frame in the trunk incase I'm stopped (fell off in the car wash?). Been OK for six years. Must be too much else to keep the law occupied!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 PM
S93
Almost a Member!

Even if you are not handy, you can buy a bracket like the one showed in the photo 2 posts higher than this one.

The brackets are made for SAAB's and Volvos. They both have the 2 holes for the license plate. However, you do need to drill 2 holes to mount on the bumper. Those two holes do not have to be precise since only a screw has to fit, not a screw and a license plate.

For the Volvo one, it is aftermarket and can be found on http://www.ipdusa.com . It is called something like a trunk closer. Later, you can take it off and place it under the rear bumper so that you can close the trunk without making dust prints on your car's paint.

The SAAB one is OEM. See the SAAB dealer or see a photo of it on http://www.saabusa.com > owners (top right) > accessories catalog

An easy way to see a picture is to look at http://www.540i6.com and click "trunk handle" on the left near the top. This is the fastest way and requires less searching than looking through the Volvo IPD or Saab USA websites.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
License plate trunk handles probably won't fit very well

The brackets you reference are probably not suitable for the front bumper on the W211. What's not apparent on the photo above is that the top side of the bracket needs to be trimmed to the shape of the mesh grille. Also, the trunk handle brackets are probably one inch or less. If you don't use a 1 1/4" bracket you will need some spacers between the black plastic MB plate bracket and the angle bracket. Since the plastic bracket needs to be positioned on the bumper before you put the angle bracket in place, it will be very difficult to fit the spacers.

Originally Posted by S93
Even if you are not handy, you can buy a bracket like the one showed in the photo 2 posts higher than this one.

The brackets are made for SAAB's and Volvos. They both have the 2 holes for the license plate. However, you do need to drill 2 holes to mount on the bumper. Those two holes do not have to be precise since only a screw has to fit, not a screw and a license plate.
Attached Thumbnails Cheap Fix for Front License Bumper Holes-dsc02147.jpg  

Last edited by LAZARU5; 05-21-2005 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Add photo