E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Intermittent Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by xraymd
I'm glad you brought it up Barry, I didn't want to get flamed for not washing my car personally. But how about it? Anyone have a problem getting their blades ripped off at the carwash?

I have not had that problem for a few reasons: the wipers will not turn on when I wash my car (at the self service car wash) even if I have the ignition on (engine running too) and the car set on intermittent. I think that the car knows that it is not moving. I tried this because I often use hot water/soap option on the high pressure wand and really clean the windshield with the wipers running. This keeps them nice and clean and prevents the "hated" skipping on the glass. So when I do this I have to put the wipers on medium speed.

I refuse to put my car through the automatic car wash, but I doubt the wipers would get ripped off, they brushes are not that strong. Plus, I don't think that the car would be moving fast enough to make the sensor turn on. I might try it with a loaner car :v , but then again, why should I pay to have a loaner car washed?

Since I have been in the car wash business for years (not any more as of last August!!!) I might ask a friend/old competitor to let me test this one day. I will see If I get to it. However, any time you use a fully automated car wash, you are taking a lot of risks. I always use my old self service car wash and take my sweet time (since I have free access I never let the de-icers stay on my car for more than I need to!).

Steve
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)

I'm at it again

I can finally relate to an F-15 pilot because I have just noticed the throttle pedal is a different shape to the clutch pedal, (oops sorry) brake pedal!

Is it re-assuring that this places me amongst the two per cent that does not need to look at what pedal does what?

Sorry about my silly sense of humour because both CASL55 and SAguirre have raised a very valid point that just bought out a cheeky little :v in me.

Motor vehicle accessories are getting more and more complex in their operation, and those of us with the dynamic seat option know exactly where I am coming from. It beggars belief that the only place you can visually see if options are activated is in the base of the seat? Try as I might I have found it impossible to get my head down between my legs to see what lights are on!

I dread to think what my neighbours are thinking if they were to see me trying to perform the impossible! (I accept there is a setting in the Functions option), but the operation of the massage feature perhaps needs reviewing?

Take care,
Now where is that Afterburn button?

John
A mild morning in Torquay
Old 01-20-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Last night on the way home from the office it was snowing and the intermittent wipers were having a field day - not coming on for a while so I couldn't see, then revving into overdrive and drying out the window...I really don't think they work well in these types of settings - I had to manually turn them on and off. I'd prefer an option to set them myself at a continuous variable speed!

On another note, yes I do take my car to the cash wash occasionally (it's tough to hand wash here in Boston in the winter after a snow storm!!) and when I forget to turn off the wipers they come on when the attendant uses the brush to wash off the windshield before I go through - and I get these looks like I'm crazy because they think I've turned them on! That's the only thing that has stopped me from going through the wash with them on and seeing what the cloth strips would do to the wipers!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Having had (and still have on 92 300TE) single wiper, I think the double wiper is more effective. As for the variable intermittant feature, maybe MB is finally listening because from my read of the CLS materials, it will have variable intermittant wipers.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:00 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I have not had that problem for a few reasons: the wipers will not turn on when I wash my car (at the self service car wash) even if I have the ignition on (engine running too) and the car set on intermittent. I think that the car knows that it is not moving. I tried this because I often use hot water/soap option on the high pressure wand and really clean the windshield with the wipers running. This keeps them nice and clean and prevents the "hated" skipping on the glass. So when I do this I have to put the wipers on medium speed.

Steve
Yes, I noticed one of the selling features for the S class is that the wipers will not work when someone is getting in and out of the car. Our car also has this although there is no mention anywhere about this.. Although it is a great feature. Funny though how, our car has a lot features they do not sell you on as they are highlighted features in cars without as many features.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
Yes, I noticed one of the selling features for the S class is that the wipers will not work when someone is getting in and out of the car. Our car also has this although there is no mention anywhere about this.. Although it is a great feature. Funny though how, our car has a lot features they do not sell you on as they are highlighted features in cars without as many features.
Believe it or not because they (MBUSA) were receiving so many complaints on this a TSB was issued instructing dealers to explain to the customer the system logic and the reason behind this design feature;

"Intermittent wiping functions when it is raining and the combination switch is set to intermittent wiping will continue while it is raining until either the left or right front door is opened. The intermittent wiping is then stopped for safety reasons and to prevent splashing the exiting or entering passenger. The intermittent wiping will only resume once the door is closed and when the transmission selector lever is moved to either N or D. Wiping will begin immediately irrespective of the above conditions if the combination switch is turned to normal wiper speed or fast wiper speed.”