Replacing failed bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Question Replacing failed bulbs

I’m getting an intermittent malfunction: “stop light, right”. Not really worried because when I restart it clears. Happened twice so far and physical inspection shows all to be fine. Checked the manual, am I reading this right?

Have the LED and bulbs for the following lamps replaced by an authorized MB center:
- Additional turn signals in the exterior rear view mirrors
- High mounted brake lamp
- Xenon lamps
- Front fog lamps
* Rear lamps (except license plate lamps)

Last edited by konigstiger; 02-05-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Mercedes E320
I recall reading that as well, and I believe there was some reference in the technical material on the board when when we first got the cars about the rear bulbs being a special gas filled bulb on non-Sport models (which I believe have LED), but the specifics escape me. I think it was xenon, but can't be 100%. There may be something in the manual, but in the introductory section on lights, not with the instructions. I believe they were supposed to last a "lifetime". If the stop light fails, doesn't another bulb "fill-in" as well? I recall that tail lights are given a stand-in of a stop light at half intensity. I don't have access to the manual this weekend. Aren't these great? Test your patience as well as your mind!

Last edited by jim256; 02-05-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Not sure about the US but here in England the rear lamps are Xenon filled but it don't take a genius to change them. The stop lamps are all LED'S so come as a cluster and should still be easy to change.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 AM

2015 C300
Same type of thing here - for the past two weeks I've been getting the "Right License Plate Bulb" warning - but when I check everything seems fine and then the warning goes away I'll have them look at it when it goes in for service in about 2,000 miles. Just one of those little annoying things.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:38 PM

My MFD display comes up with the message "front left indicator failed, back up in use" but when I check the lights all are ok. Oddly the interior indicator light also flashes rapidly but the outside indicators all work fine! After restatr the message goes away.

Looks like another trip to the dealers!
Old 02-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Malfunction "Stop light, right" in instrument panel

Do not simply dismiss any bulb malfunctions you are receiving in the instrument cluster because they clear on restart or you do not see physical evidence. This is what’s recorded on my invoice as to how they corrected my malfunction;

“Lamps - performed short test, found fault code 9055. Found both rear brake lights faulty. Removed trunk liners both left & right. Replaced both brake light assemblies. Performed short test & cleared codes.”