Airmatic Lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500
Originally Posted by scorchie
We will be in OC at the end of March and could help you out then!

-s-
scorchie,

Great! Could you please quote on the cost to lower on 05 E500, and specifically how we connect? Is your operation mobile? Do you have a photo of an "E" (preferably one with 18" wheels as mine has the AMG sport package) that you have lowered by Stardiagnose, that is still within factory spec? It seems like there are quite a few people that would like to have this done at reasonable cost.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by baldmike73
Scorchie,

Sent an email from the link on your website from my work account. I just changed to a set of 19's so don't want it dumped just want to bring it down for a cleaner look. Let me know if you don't get my email. I look forward to getting the car lowered.

Mike
You probably didn't send mail to me, but to the generic box. I also received mail from you via mbworld but your mail address is not valid. Please correct as this private conversation shouldn't be in the forums!

-s-
Old 02-28-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by hoffyvortex
scorchie,

Great! Could you please quote on the cost to lower on 05 E500, and specifically how we connect? Is your operation mobile? Do you have a photo of an "E" (preferably one with 18" wheels as mine has the AMG sport package) that you have lowered by Stardiagnose, that is still within factory spec? It seems like there are quite a few people that would like to have this done at reasonable cost.
Please e-mail me for a picture and a price quote. Most of our pictures are from 19" but since my car is currently running 18" I can probably take a new one.

-s-
Old 02-28-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Scorchie,

Just updated the email. If it still doesn't work my email is: baldmike73@yahoo.com

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Brav
Overpaid for MB lowering links (front). Rear, was shimmed. The sensor sits on a bracket on rear axle, and the bracket gets raised, lowering the car. Very easy to adjust front, rear would be if I had slots drilled in. I will do that later this week now. Anyone with avg mechanical ability can do this mod.
Hey Brav,

Your car looks good in those last photos, especially under that lighting.

Anyway, you mentioned that your rear is shimmed. That's interesting. So you mean that they added a bracket between the rear axle and the sensor that moves the sensor rearward? If so, that sounds like a good solution, except how do they mount the sensor to the bracket?

Too late for me, I slotted the web in my rear axel already. One bit of warning for those doing it yourself, make sure that you linkage that mounts to the sensor is positioned the correct way. One time when I was adjusting mine, the linkage flipped around the opposite way. The car just dropped to the ground (although some might like it), and I thought I blew out the airmatic.

For the fronts, I used the TWS brackets and some additional washers. I found, at least in my case, that there is a point of diminishing returns. For mine, at least, it isn't even dropped that much in the front, but each additional washer didn't seem to do too much after a certain point.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 CLS550, '08 M6, '04 E500
Originally Posted by U2fast4me
Sorry for stealling the thread.
Off Topic, does anyone knows what body kit RusnakMB have on and best place to shop for it?
He's not replying my PM.
That is the WALD Kit. Look here for more info: http://www.wald-japan.co.jp/

Here is another pic for you:

Their US distributor info can be found here: http://www.jonari.com/wald/core.html

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
Hey Brav,

Your car looks good in those last photos, especially under that lighting.

Anyway, you mentioned that your rear is shimmed. That's interesting. So you mean that they added a bracket between the rear axle and the sensor that moves the sensor rearward? If so, that sounds like a good solution, except how do they mount the sensor to the bracket?

Too late for me, I slotted the web in my rear axel already. One bit of warning for those doing it yourself, make sure that you linkage that mounts to the sensor is positioned the correct way. One time when I was adjusting mine, the linkage flipped around the opposite way. The car just dropped to the ground (although some might like it), and I thought I blew out the airmatic.

For the fronts, I used the TWS brackets and some additional washers. I found, at least in my case, that there is a point of diminishing returns. For mine, at least, it isn't even dropped that much in the front, but each additional washer didn't seem to do too much after a certain point.
I will have to do that method- the rear wont go any lower because there arent enough threads left on the bracket. sliding it up as you did is my only option to level the car. so dont worry. just waiting to buy/borrow a dremel. I have the adjustable brackets. I had to pull them way down so far so they pushed into the wheel well plastic, and even trim some back a bit. got another .5- .75 drop. The front is perfect. I do have to be careful with bottoming out in a turn it rubs. but I was on comfort mode.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I will have to do that method- the rear wont go any lower because there arent enough threads left on the bracket. sliding it up as you did is my only option to level the car. so dont worry. just waiting to buy/borrow a dremel. I have the adjustable brackets. I had to pull them way down so far so they pushed into the wheel well plastic, and even trim some back a bit. got another .5- .75 drop. The front is perfect. I do have to be careful with bottoming out in a turn it rubs. but I was on comfort mode.
Hey Brav, you can use my air tools over the weekend if you want. I have an air compressor in my garage and all the tools you would need. Just PM me. I am one of the guys that went to your place to check out your wheels when you just put them on. I live like 2~3 min away from you.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amgkoo
Hey Brav, you can use my air tools over the weekend if you want. I have an air compressor in my garage and all the tools you would need. Just PM me. I am one of the guys that went to your place to check out your wheels when you just put them on. I live like 2~3 min away from you.
Sweet, thanks. I have a compressor and a ton of tools, just no dremel yet! I'll send you a PM if I need your help, I appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:06 PM

No prob. I have a 25,000 rpm air die grinder and various dremel heads that would do the job. You can bring your car by or I can just let you borrow the tools.

Sweet, thanks. I have a compressor and a ton of tools, just no dremel yet! I'll send you a PM if I need your help, I appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:30 PM

E500
Hey guys,

You don't need to cut the holes for lowering rear airmatic. Just simply remove one of the "bar" and bend it to decrease the distance. It will lower the rear. I think AMGKOO has seem my car lowering without cutting anything. It is way simple and you just need a "hammer".......
Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rusnakmb
Hey guys,

You don't need to cut the holes for lowering rear airmatic. Just simply remove one of the "bar" and bend it to decrease the distance. It will lower the rear. I think AMGKOO has seem my car lowering without cutting anything. It is way simple and you just need a "hammer".......
haha the best mod so far to dat --- hammer mod..

Will try tomorrow.

I really need a flat hood badge..
Old 03-03-2005, 09:18 PM

2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
"Hammer Mechanic" HMmm???
Old 06-27-2011, 12:00 PM

2005 S430
So my question to you all is, to set things clear and straight, This can be done through the SDS correct?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by W220S430
So my question to you all is, to set things clear and straight, This can be done through the SDS correct?
You mean "lowering the suspension" like the title says? Yes, it can be done within certain limits. As a straightforward approach DAS only allows the suspension being lowered within a specific range of level sensor readings, perhaps an inch at front, could be more at the rear.

Some experts claim they can pass these DAS limits, I've never seen this really confirmed, not to mention explained.

Of course adjusting the level sensors allows more significant changes but that cannot be done "from the computer".
Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by rusnakmb
Hey guys,

I wonder if using a hammer to lower the car would affect the Airmatic warranty...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM

2005 E500
Holy thread revival!!
I did the washer method for the front of my car. The rear I used a pry bar to move the bracket a little so the rear suspension lowers. No need to take anything out for the rear. I've had this for almost 3 years, I go back and fourth from lowered to stock.

And Yes this method will void warranty if the dealer finds out you did this...